“Contemporary Mexican”
Review of Rojo Mexican Grill

Rojo Mexican Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Rojo Mexican Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 16th St & West End Blvd
Transit: Accessible by MET Council Bus lines 9, 604 and 649. Ample bike parking available.
Reviewed 8 February 2017

Sat at a booth to have a light lunch. Ordered a ginger ale and a bowl of tortilla soup.
Meanwhile, munched on their chips and salsa. Fairly standard.
The ginger ale was delicious and the soup was a nice warm treat on a bitter cold day.
Really like this place. Will be back for dinner soon.

Reviewed 26 January 2017

Rojo is big, classy and new. The west end location is much nicer than the Roseville store that is sorely in need of renovation. The decor is more steak house than Mexican but it is impressive.

There's not really much that's Mexican about the place. I saw no Hispanics working in customer contact positions. It's a little weird being served Mexican food by a Scandinavian and German staff. I still have a hard time taking a Mexican restaurant seriously when they have meat loaf on the menu, but authenticity is not the name of the game here.

We went here with a group of nine for a business meeting. The staff put together some tables in short order and got us seated. The place is noisy and unsuitable for a business lunch with more than four people. The place was so loud that when I ordered the ceviche (a traditional fish dish), the waitress asked me if I wanted beef or chicken because she thought I said "chimichonga" and I was the guy on the end closest to her. Needless to say I was stunned and looked at her in disbelief. We figured it out and laughed.

The ceviche was seasoned well and pleasant. It could have used a bit more jalapeno heat and cilantro but it's been dumbed down to accommodate Minnesota blandness. The fish and shrimp were firm, however, the small shrimps were weak on flavor. Larger shrimp, cut into smaller pieces, would assert the shrimp flavor better.

Like the other Rojos, this one had a good Tequila and Mezcal selection and like the other stores, they spell "Ilegal" Mezcal incorrectly on the menu. Again, inauthentic.

1  Thank Dead Skunk S
Reviewed 18 January 2017

My wife and I joined another couple for lunch before our planned afternoon at the movie theater. Rojo's has a nice lunch menu and, judging by the crowd, we were not the only ones that think so. They offer a half-torta (sandwich) with a cup of soup and three out of the four of us opted for the combo. We all ordered their wonderful tortilla soup which includes chicken, avocado, sour cream, and tortilla strips in a soup base that tasted like a taco seasoned broth. The fourth member of our group ordered street tacos which he verified as delicious. Our server was efficient and courteous, checking back to refill our drinks and making sure we were happy with our choices. In spite of the crowd, we received our food in short order and enjoyed a leisurely lunch before our movie.

Reviewed 17 January 2017

We have visited the Rojo in a different part of town, so were familiar with the menu and service. They were very busy, but we had a table in less than 15 minutes. As expected, the service was fast and efficient. My Fajitas were not cooked all the way through, but the rest of my meal was excellent.

Reviewed 28 December 2016

Our group of six went for lunch on a Tuesday. It was not busy, so I expected a much better experience and food. The food had no flavor, poor presentation, was over-priced, and small portions. Our server did not even try to be friendly. I expected much more from a West End establishment.