All reviews indoor parking full kitchen one bedroom suite front desk mayo clinic underground walkway gas fireplace living area health issues two blocks methodist hospital wheel chair the breakfast area bad weather will stay there again rooms are spacious waffles
Reviewed 29 January 2013

Over the past year I have stayed at the residence inn in Rochester , MN several times. Every time I enter this hotel, I know without a doubt my stay will be great. The staff is helpful and accommodating, hotel is always clean, breakfast is great, rates are explained and never any hidden fees. I have never had a bad experience at this facility and will continue to stay here anytime I am in Rochester..

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 October 2012

I have been staying at Residence Inns for years and it has always been a good experience. I also used to work for the company in the early days. The wasy this gorel is run would be a dissappointment for Mr. Marriott. The rooms are tired, the rates are exremely high for the area as well as for what you get. On top of that the customer service was below standards. I know that they capitalize on people coming in for the clinic but how sad that they are driving rate and revenue at the expense of very sick people. Being an industry person who works for a company that is one of Marriott's top clients, I will not being staying at a Residence Inn again and may second guess any Marriott product. When I asked the front desk for a later check out, i was given one until 1:00. But then needed another 30 minutes due to finish drying my clothes. The FD clerk had to "run it by" the General Manager before allowing me to extend. This showed me that the front desk could not make a simple decision with our checking with the General Manager. How sad that there is not freedom to allowing front line employees to make such simple decisions. I saw the GM a few times and he never smiled and was not very welcoming. So it all makes sense that the other employees did not appear to like their jobs and were almost fearful. Sad, sad, sad. This hotel is very overpriced and takes advantage of the ill people coming in for treatment at the clinic. It's just not a business approach that works in my business world. Act more like you want to serve the client and offer value for the prices you charge. It is really very simple and I won't return to this hotel ever again. They also charged me a $100 non refundable dog deposit. This is ridiculous !! I know for a fact, even if they had to do a deep clean, shampoo the carpet, it does not cost $100. it is just another way that they build revenue in an unethical way. I would not suggest staying at this hotel unless you want to get ripped off and treated like you are in their way. Just so not a good experience. :-(

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank judy k
RSTRI, General Manager at Residence Inn Rochester Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2012

It also needs to be noted that this guest was a former employee with our company and requested a lower rate for that reason. We are very competitive in our market and check our pricing regularly so the statement that we take advantage of the ill is coming from someone who did not get there way on the rate and also tried to sneek in there pet and not pay the fee.

Reviewed 5 October 2012

I have never been treated worse by front desk staff at a hotel. The gentleman there in the evenings is not only rude and condescending, he also smelled like he hadn't showered in days.

I arrived and wasn't greeted, there was a note saying that the front desk staff was gone and to go to the Hearth Room to find them. The Hearth room wasn't marked, nor was there a sign for it's location. I picked up the phone and it rang for 3 minutes before someone picked up. He said he'd be down in a bit and did come down in a couple minutes.

I was not greeted as a platinum member, thanked for my loyalty or offered my check-in gift -- this is absolutely unacceptable.

He also assigned me a parking spot that was already taken and when I came back in to get a new spot, he had disappeared again. Another phone call, with extended ringing, and he wandered back down to get me a new spot. He didn't say a word and just glared at me as if I was a colossal interruption in his life. The new spot on the ticket was not the number he told me verbally, but I parked there anyway.

The next day several of the other staff apologized for him, so this is not a new or unknown problem.

None of this is acceptable in a hotel stay, least of all with guests who stay over 100 nights a year in Marriott properties. My girlfriend had a similar experience the night before, but I'll leave that to her review.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Patrick P
RSTRI, General Manager at Residence Inn Rochester Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2012

We pride ourselves on Great Customer Service and we are sorry this guest did not feel this way. We value your comments and will strive to improve on the items you suggested. Thank you

Reviewed 4 September 2012

My mom and I stayed in a two bedroom suite while she was receiving treatment. It was so close to the Mayo - only about 2 blocks and very handy as I could push the wheelchair either above or below ground, straight from the hotel. The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful. THey go out of their way to do their best for you. The breakfast is included and has pretty well everything one might want, including fruit, which was difficult to find anywhere else. The bedrooms were large, each had a TV and were separated by the living/dining/kitchen area - very convenient. It was pretty dated, as we were aware from the reviews, but very clean when we arrived. The only slight downside was that the room was not particularly well cleaned daily. I'm sure it would have been if we'd asked, however I really didn't fell like asking. The laundry room was convenient and large enough, there was an exercise room with three cardio machines, free weights and some mats, and they sold some snacks at the front desk. All in all, for the price it was the perfect place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank iscream_cm
RSTRI, General Manager at Residence Inn Rochester Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2012

Thank you for your wonderful comments ! Our staff all take a lot of pride in making sure that you feel like home.

Reviewed 27 August 2012

We stayed in a one bedroom suite rather than a studio, and the accommodations were very comfortable. We are here for 5 nights and know this will meet all of our needs. I went to the gym in the morning. No one was there. The equipment is not top of the line, but certainly adequate and allows you to keep up with your normal exercise routine (if you have one...).
The hotel is conveniently located to Mayo, and is attached to the clinic through underground walkways. The weather here is beautiful right now, so we walked outside and it is only a two block walk to the clinic. There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance to the hotel, so you do not need a car. If you plan to come here in the colder months, the underground system will be perfect. You can also access many of the local restaurants through the tunnel. I would recommend this hotel highly.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank PeskyMom

Thank you so much for your review, the staff takes pride in providing a great product for you our guest.