“Excellent meal in nice atmosphere”

No photo provided
Cuisines: American
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 5th
Reviewed 8 August 2015

I enjoyed the grilled salmon with a citrus relish while my wife had the prime rib. Both were excellent! This club has a pub menu at all times, plus an excellent dinner menu on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday

Reviewed 2 February 2014

We have been there a lot for lunch and was real good!! also had a family wedding there and was great and they did a real good job.

Reviewed 8 January 2008

I grew up in Northfield. In Oct. 2007, my husband and I were married there. We planned our wedding long-distance, and dealt with three different dining venues: the Contented Cow (a welcome dinner), the Grand (the reception), and the Golf Club (farewell brunch). I'm a professionally trained baker, and many of our wedding guests were cooks, caterers, and just plain appreciators of good food and drink. That was one of the aspects of our wedding that we really cared about.

I had high hopes for the Golf Club, because by many accounts it's got the best "event" food in Northfield, and the chef is a graduate of the Cordon Bleu. "Great," I thought, "Here's one detail we don't have to worry about: they're professionals, they're used to handling large crowds, it'll be great." My parents met with the chef, who assured them we'd have a great spread.

Basically, the first two meals (at the Cow and the Grand) were fantastic: the owners worked with us so we could design our own menus, bring in our own wine (minimal corkage fee), and I made my own wedding cake. The Golf Club brunch, however, was a debacle. It was so unprofessional. No contract, just a verbal "handshake," which was a huge mistake on our part. We'd called the week before to give the staff our final head count; we arrived to find a few scanty trays of muffins, scones, and doughnuts. Some tired fruit. Discolored, pulpy juice. No hot food, no savory food--bagels, perhaps?--just, as my dad said, a bunch of stuff you could buy at a gas station. And not even enough, at that! The chef wasn't working the event, and when my father called to discuss what went wrong, the chef was very defensive. He made a bunch of excuses: "You know, we're not really a restaurant. We're a golf course." (Then why say you can host events? And the American Club in Kohler, WI is a golf course--and can blow this place out of the water) and he blamed us for eating too much so the food ran out (not a good customer service tactic). He also said--when told that the few waitstaff we dealt with, when we could find them, were sullen and unhelpful--"Well, you know, it's hard to find good employees...."

It didn't spoil our wedding weekend, but it was certainly a bad enough experience for me to want to warn people away!

8  Thank FrancesSeattle