“Parking?....maddening indeed”

Minnesota Center for Book Arts
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: MCBA is committed to book art, artists and appreciators. Our mission is achieved through quality programs that support a broad continuum of creators, learners and admirers. We lead the field by promoting innovation, sustaining traditions, educating new enthusiasts, inspiring creative expression and honouring artistic excellence. From the traditional crafts of papermaking, letterpress printing and bookbinding to new methods of art-making and communication, MCBA supports the limitless creative development of book arts.
Reviewed 29 April 2017

So, I drove 2 hours to get to Book Arts only to find that every, single, parking space in the lot is taken. I wait over an hour and not one opens. It's madness. My guess is the locals are parking there versus on the street. I ended up leaving and going to Minneapolis Institute of Art where parking is not an issue, as the surrounding neighborhood has plenty of free parking.

Reviewed 30 March 2017

My 12-year-old loves books and art. I'd been wondering for a while whether this place would have fun things for her to see and learn. There aren't any classes for her age range listed on the website - they are mostly for adults, with a few for 15-18 and a few for families with smaller children. I couldn't tell from reviews or their website what we would see if we just stopped in, rather than come with a group, but it seemed promising. So what was there to see or do on a weekday? Almost nothing.

There were supposed to be two exhibits on display but we only found one and it was not very interesting. One artist was working in the workshops but we couldn't really tell what she was doing and we were asked not to disturb anyone working so we said hi, lingered a moment and kept walking. The cafe, gift shop and bookshop are nice but we came for something special, not shopping and lunch. We went home very disappointed.

We would like to try again some time if we can pull enough kids (a couple of Scout troops?) together to meet their group program minimums.

Reviewed 21 March 2017

I was here about a year ago to see 10,000 Things Theater perform Dear World. It was fabulous. Dedicated to the book arts (I've been here for workshops and field trips as well), it's an amazing place.

Reviewed 30 November 2016

My partner had work. I had questions. I've long been fascinated by ways that communities prioritize uses for spaces to make art, to gather, to work together. MCBA was bright, welcoming, gorgeous.

Eric Gjerde's _Specimen_ and Aki Shibata's _Dear You_ gave me lots to think about.

Reviewed 16 October 2015

What a treat! Take the kids and find out how books used to be made and how beautiful books are still produced. There is workshop and exhibition space, a nice book store, coffee shop and a performance area in a beautiful old building. MCBA offers courses for adults and children. I wish I could have stayed longer. This is truly a top attraction in Minneapolis. Better than a museum because you can see art being made.

1  Thank langhorn160