“Beautiful, But Not Great For Concerts”
Review of State Theatre

State Theatre
Ranked #44 of 237 things to do in Minneapolis
Reviewed 28 June 2017

I recently visited this theatre from several hours out-of-town to see a concert by an act that does not come around very frequently. I was looking forward to this rare treat. Walking into the concert area from the lobby, I was instantly struck by its beauty. Unfortunately, it didn't take me long to notice that there are no speakers aiming toward the majority of the balcony area, save for the first couple of rows. As a fan of watching talented bands from a higher perspective, this is a considerable disappointment as the sound is greatly hindered in much of this area -- not just the upper rows. My second gripe is, unknown to me when purchasing the tickets, the theatre imposes a curfew on the performers. At the show I attended, the venue required the artist to end the show by 10:30pm, and the artist had to cut songs out of the planned setlist to meet this requirement. Enormously disappointing. I paid for these tickets to enjoy an evening of wonderful musicianship and to hear all that the artist had to say in as much time as the artist needed to say it. Had I known of this curfew, I would have chosen to see the artist in another city. With this knowledge now, I will never attend another performance at this venue.

All reviews
"restoration"
in 2 reviews
"performers"

Reviewed 26 February 2017

This is my favorite venue in Minneapolis for a concert. The sound is always great and there's not a bad seat in the place. It's also connected to the skyway. So on a cold, winter day you don't have to venture outside.

Reviewed 15 February 2017

The State is a beautifully remodeled old theater. You need to go to a show just to see the incredible ornate furnishings.

We went here to see Loreena McKennit on October 19, 2016. We had seating in a lower part of the balcony that has a row of seating with two seats together with a table. We had a terrific, unobstructed view of all of the musicians for the entire concert.

There is enough bathroom capacity so that the lines aren't very long. Also, there are very small bars on the lower balcony level in the outer area.

Very nice venue walking distance to many restaurants.

3  Thank CaptTrouble
Reviewed 23 January 2017

State Theatre was rehabbed quite a few years ago but still looks wonderful. In my opinion, this is the grandest of all the theaters in Minneapolis/St. Paul. Acoustics are wonderful and staff super friendly. If you're just visiting, you should check this out if time. Located in Minneapolis downtown, there are plenty of restaurants nearby as well.