“Cute building, okay food, drinks not refilled often ”

Loring Bar & Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Loring Bar & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #123 of 1,981 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: University / Dinkytown
Reviewed 5 October 2018 via mobile

The building itself is the best part if visiting this restaurant, with its high ceiling showing off very old rafters.

The pot-sticker appetizer was pretty good. My penne dish was also pretty good. Nothing remarkable, for the price. The entrees offered are about eight pasta dishes and eight entrees such as salmon.

Service was generally okay but my water glass and iced tea glass sat empty for long stretches of time as a thirstily watched the the waitress walk by without a glance.

Reviewed 25 September 2018

One of my favorite bands in the world, Cafe Accordion Orchestra, is a regular attraction here. On Sundays, they have a live tango band and lots of good tango dancers. Everything on the menu is good. The room is what wonderland would have looked like if Alice had eaten the entire mushroom.

Reviewed 15 September 2018

Just got home from dinner and drinks at Loring Bar and Restaurant. I have to say it is probably the worst service I have had in a restaurant in quite a while. We were promptly seated. Immediately we were served water and given our menus and then we waited and waited and waited..finally my friend had to get up! and go and ask for a server some 20 minutes later. A few minutes later a server came. She offered no apology. She didn't know anything about the happy hour. She left to find answers to our very reasonable questions: for example, what is the house red wine? We then see her return, seat another table and take their order while avoiding eye contact with us! She disappears again and then finally returns with an answer. We give our drinks and appetizer order. At some point, she serves our drinks and appetizer and is about to walk off! We have to ask if we can place our order for dinner. I must admit the food came in a reasonable time. I had the chicken with cream sauce and capers, broccolini and saffron rice. Overall, very tasty. My friend had a pasta dish that she too enjoyed. Then the bill comes and it is incorrect ... Ugh, ugh, ugh I won't go on. Awful service and no customer service skills. I really wanted to say something to the manager but somehow got the feeling it wouldn't make a difference. But, good job to the chefs, the food was good.

Reviewed 29 July 2018

While in Minneapolis recently, some co-workers insisted we go to the Loring Pasta Bar, of which they had fond memories. Rebranded now as Loring Bar and Restaurant, I found myself wondering what the appeal was. The food was average at best and the atmosphere a tad depressing. The place might be good for drinks, but the area offers better options for a meal.

Reviewed 6 July 2018 via mobile

I have eaten at the Loring a couple of times during happy hour, which goes until 7pm M-F if you sit at the bar. All apps are half off which is crazy cheap - a massive bowl of mussels and bread for$5! The sauce with them is creamy goodness with cherry tomatoes and onion (comes with bacon which is easy to pick out for your meat eating friends if you forget to order without like I did!) The potstickers and edamame were nothing to brag about, but for 4.50 they were good and I would eat them again. Beer is between $3-4 and rails are $4.

Parking can be a challenge in the University area, but you can almost always find a meter open during happy hour.

Be prepared to wait as service is fairly slow (but cordial) during happy hour at the bar, but I am willing to wait the extra time for that pricing.

They have a music venue upstairs called the Red Room (usually Thursday nights).

The place is designed uniquely- I call it a creepy-beautiful vaudeville carnival style.

Two entrances - one on 14th and on on University—the 14th Street is direct to the bar entrance.

1  Thank ExportLove