“Great Lively Seafood Restaurant”

The Oceanaire Seafood Room
Reserve with OpenTable
The Oceanaire Seafood Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 1,855 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Price range: US$25 - US$40
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: City Bus Line/ Cab stand located at front of Hyatt Regency.
Description: As sleek as a 1930s ocean liner, yet as relaxed as a dinner on the shore, the Oceanaire provides the perfect setting to enjoy Ultra-Fresh seafood, flown in daily from around the world. Sip a Sidecar in the lounge, sidle up to the oyster bar, or kick back in a horseshoe booth before diving into a sea of Ultra-Fresh fish, including Alaskan halibut, seasonal favorites like fresh Copper River salmon or hard-to-find delicacies like true Dover sole. Our daily-printed menu will guide you, a wine list as deep as the sea will seduce you, and the world's freshest seafood awaits you at the Oceanaire.
Reviewed 19 September 2017

We enjoyed a Friday night dinner at the bar at The Oceanaire. The staff were great and most accommodating, the food excellent and the price reasonable for a good downtown restaurant.

Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

Great atmosphere, attentive staff and EXCELLENT food! The asparagus was wonderful, the bread on the table was perfect and the seasoning on the shrimp scampi was better than any scampi I have ever eaten and Scampi is one of my go to dishes when in a upscale restaurant. A must visit while in Minneapolis!

Reviewed 7 September 2017

I work across the street from this restaurant and have since it opened in the new location. Oceanaire has long been a favorite of mine and many where I work for fresh seafood including the Arctic Char, seafood tower and an assortment of different oysters. We frequently get food for lunch from here and I've never reviewed it for our lunch run. Today, I finally feel I need to provide some feedback about this locale because it just seems to get worse every time we order. Let me first say that when you hit the right night and get a decent server, the seafood is bar none, the best in downtown. However, the majority of the time I am getting food to go along with a bunch of other people from work. We typically get about 10-15 entrees including many entree salads. We have one person in our group who prefers balsamic vinaigrette instead of the caesar dressing that comes with it, and almost every single time that we have ordered it, they fail to get it to us. This time today was no exception, they forgot the dressing. So we sent somebody down to get it and they sent us just plain vinaigrette, this of course was wrong. The person had to go back and try again and they sent balsamic (vinegar). I guess adding the two together would make the balsamic vinaigrette, but why wasn't this done for us and addressed? we spent around $300 today and they can't get us some dressing by adding a couple bottles together?
Ok, next issue. I tried something new today and was severely disappointed. The chicken fried lobster was a bit of a joke. When most people think of "chicken fried" they do not think of deep fried. There is a major difference in the end result. Oceanaire evidently does not know this or I wouldn't have had over-battered, overcooked, deep fried lobster today.
An issue from a month ago. A co-worker ordered the Lobster grilled cheese and received a grilled cheese sandwich with a couple chunks of lobster mixed in with the cheese, it was dismal for $18, I say this because I got the Lobster Roll that day that was very good and had about 5 times more lobster than my co-workers grilled cheese for I think the same price or maybe $20.
Lastly, I had an issue a couple years ago that needs to be said. I ordered the Big Eye Tuna entree on the menu a couple years ago and received 4 pieces of sashimi, barely enough that would warrant an appetizer at any high-end sushi restaurant. I brought it down to the manager and he said it certainly looks like what it should, which he said is 4 ounces. There wasn't even 2 ounces there, they were slivers of sashimi, but he insisted and he refused to actually weigh it in front of me. I left him the dish so he could maybe improve upon it and call me back. He never called nor refunded me or said a word the next time he saw me.
What happened to the great restaurant we used to visit down by the Hyatt? Why are their so many inconsistencies? Where has the quality consistency and value gone?

Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

My husband and I have frequented this restaurant for 10 years. It was a Labor Day special that beckoned us this time. What a fabulous deal: a nice bottle of wine, appetizers, entrees and dessert for $60! Our service was top-notch as usual and given our crazy low tab, she was tipped generously. With fresh food flown in daily, customizing their menu, you cannot go wrong with the Oceanaire. I can't bring myself to go anywhere else for seafood in Minneapolis.

Reviewed 6 September 2017

Excellent ambiance, professional service and great sea-food dishes and the dessert dishes are small master pieces .. (Correction: They are not small ... :-) ... )