“Disappointed.”

Ranked #24 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Minnesota
“Disappointed.”
Reviewed 17 February 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Depot Renaissance with our two children. We were not aware that there was a waterpark as my 3 year old just wanted to swim in a pool. A life guard stopped us and asked if we had wrist bands, we did not. She instructed me that we needed to purchase wrist bands at the front desk for $10.00 per person, including my 3 year old son. Even though I would be holding onto my 6 month old inside the water park, I still needed a wrist band. $10.00.
The only part of the water park that we could stay in was the over 3 feet deep, therefore we had to hold our 3 year old in the pool. The other water park pool areas were far too cold for young children to play in. My son was not able to enjoy the one water slide they offer as he was under 48'' tall.

Our room was absolutely gorgeous, I have to complaints about that. Very clean, just gorgeous all around!

The front desk staff were not attentive when I was waiting for assistance, I had to wait each time which was very annoying since I had a baby with me.
We very disappointed to hear that there was no (free continental) breakfast offered to guests. We were to purchase a continental breakfast for $11.00 per person which consisted of juice and muffins. The breakfast meals were rediculously over priced, we ended up eating breakfast elsewhere.
The waterpark did not open until 9:00am but we were not able to swim since our 3 year old was hungry. For a hotel who "caters" to children, there should be a FREE continental breakfast offered.

Parking is insane! 15.00 to park for all guests. Your $129.00 a night stay turns into over $200.00.

We will not be staying at this hotel in the future. We very disappointed!.

Room Tip: Don't stay near elevator, it dings (loud) when arriving to a floor.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Hitched_in_Mexico

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I had a really enjoyable stay, in particular because of the "above and beyond" service that I received from Thea. I had a truck outside my room window with the engine running for a few hours. Thea updated me on why that was there and offered to move me down the corridor to a quieter side of the hotel. Efficient and effective problem solving and excellent service.

The only issue I had was that this hotel charges for Internet access!!

Rooms were very nice. Restaurant was disappointing but read my review on that.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Stewart T
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Reviewed 20 January 2012

We arrived after sixteen hours of travel to a rude and unhelpful front desk. There was no bellman, so my husband had to load all of our luggage on the trolley and up to the fifth floor by himself. The front desk was so unwelcoming, it was hard to believe the staff chose a career in the "hospitality" business.
The rooms are tiny. We had adjoining rooms for our children and there was no way to keep the door open unless we stuck a hanger under the door.
On a positive side, the water park is great from small children. But I would never stay at this hotel again because the service was horrendous.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 15 January 2012

We stayed here with our teenage son last Spring and then recommended this hotel to our daughter's family because of the cute waterpark/pool area. Since the hotel used to be the train depot, the pool has a smokestack that goes off and spashes onto the waterpark area every several minutes.Our g'kids loved the pool and we liked the hot tub. We rented a bike a half block away and went over the scenic river bridge making several stops.We tried out a segway and toured beautiful St. Anthony Main area with streetcars, etc. If going in the winter, the attached former-depot turns into a sheltered ice-skating park. The hotel itself is top notch. Definitely four star quality. Had happy hour in the lounge and Caribou next door in the morning.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
San Francisco
Reviewed 23 December 2011

Was in Minneapolis for work in early December, and decided to try this hotel as my "home base" as I need to drive to various client locations that week. I'm always a bit apprehensive about choosing full service hotels, as it usually means running using valet parking, long walks to your room, and indifferent staff. Well, I was quite surprised.

As it was below freezing outdoors during my entire stay, I was thrilled that they had underground heated self parking (in the mornings, the car showed it was about 55 degrees). No scrapping of ice or snow, or shivering as the car warmed up. The entrance is a direct shot off of 35W and was very pleased that I didn't have to bundle up getting from the car to my hotel. The self parking is right under the hotel, and with your security key, can take the elevator directly to your floor.

There are two different sections of the hotel. The older "depot" section, and the newer "generic" hotel section. I was in the generic section. My room was nicely decorated. Not big, not small ... just a pretty standard hotel room. A little nicer than a regular Marriott, but not as nice as some of the Renaissances' I've stayed at before.

The concierge lounge was outstanding. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. I had some of the best breakfast pastries there, that I've had in a long time. Thank you for not going too cheap on the food cost. I get enough of that from other hotels.

Front desk staff was also great. I got there early in the day, and needed to find a spot to make a few conference calls. Fortunately, they had rooms available, and didn't put up a fuss about an early checking.

Didn't get a chance to walk around much this trip (did I say it was cold), but did not that it's a great spot for sports, and non-sport fans.

Not sure what all the concern about ants was ... I didn't see a single one.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minneapolis
Residence Inn Minneapolis Downtown at The Depot
The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection
aloft Minneapolis
aloft Minneapolis
#25 of 49 in Minneapolis
The Westin Minneapolis
The Westin Minneapolis
#22 of 49 in Minneapolis

Been to Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot? Share your experiences!