All reviews weisman art museum other guests guest house place to stay twin cities hosts university researchers radiator supermarket cereal target minnesota
Reviewed 11 August 2016

My husband and I went to Minneapolis over the summer to do professional development at the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis. We decided to stay at the Wales House as it was listed as one of the hotel/housing options in the program brochure and it's only about a 10 minute walk to the East Bank section of the University. Every time we go back to Minneapolis for business (or for pleasure) we will definitely try our hardest to stay at the Wales House. The owners, Kelly and Julie are extremely gracious, welcoming and helpful. They know the area very well and happily gave us suggestions of places to eat and things to do when we were not working. Our room (with ensuite shower) was a great deal and very comfortable. The common living areas (including a full kitchen w/anything you would need is available for guests to use) were always clean and welcoming.

Room tip: Ask for a room with an ensuite bathroom, unless you want to pay less and share.
Date of stay: July 2016
Reviewed 10 August 2016

I stayed here while helping to move my daughter into her apartment at the start of grad school. The home is a clean, well-kept, restoration-in-progress former fraternity house. It's located among a bunch of Greek houses lining both sides of the street. During my stay in early August the neighborhood was perfectly quiet. I didn't hear a thing except for the squirrels collecting nuts outside my window. The host, Kelly, does a great job of walking through and explaining the house. There are lots of common areas for guest use. I didn't stay long enough to get good use of all the amenities, but the place is homey and I can imagine an extended stay would be really nice. There are five guest parking spaces behind the house, which is very convenient. The air conditioning was welcome! Downstairs there are two sparkling clean washer and dryer sets for guest use, a really nice feature. One of the best advantages of Wales House is the location. It's a very short walk to Dinky Town, where you can find a Target and lots of restaurants. It's a longer walk to campus, but not impossible. I would recommend Wales House for someone wanting a quiet, neighborhood place to stay convenient to the school but a little outside the fray.

Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank dmresource
Reviewed 22 July 2016

I have travelled to Minneapolis quite often during the last 5 years to visit the university. In this time, I have stayed in a number of different places and Wales House is by far the best! The house is extremely spacious, comfortable and clean. Julie and Kelly (the owners) are really great, friendly people. In addition to the bedrooms, the house has several very nice communal areas, and it's always nice to chat to fellow guests around the breakfast table or in the kitchen. The house is well located, close to Dinkytown and the university, on a really nice, quiet, tree-lined street. Now, whenever I visit Minneapolis, I always stay here, and if they can't fit me in, then I adjust my dates to when they do have space. It really is a home away from home. and every time I stay it is a real pleasure.

Date of stay: June 2016
Reviewed 16 July 2016

I've stayed there for one week for experiments at UMN. The bedroom was really cozy, quiet, and comforted me after exhausting experiments during the day. Typically 15-min walk to UMN and it's really close to dinkytown, where you could try several wonderful restaurants. Kelly was patient and the house was lovely, along with the cute dog, Sophie. It was a pity I didn't have too many chances to talk with him due to experiments, though I was really interested in history of this old house as well as the whole city. And also the breakfasts every morning, which saved me a lot of time.

Date of stay: July 2016
Reviewed 28 March 2016

I stayed in Wales House for 5 months with my partner while conducting research at University of Minnesota. Its a lovely old house, full of character and very clean and well kept with plenty of interesting artefacts and books to browse. There are different communal areas where you can chat with other guests, watch TV or find a quiet corner to read a book. It is very convenient for the university and for bus and metro transport links. Dinkytown is a safe leafy area of town, with some interesting shops and a large student population. The hosts, Kelly and Julie are very helpful and friendly and full of advice about planning travel to other areas of the states. The other guests are mainly visiting the university and there are plenty of opportunities for interesting conversations over breakfast. If you are visiting the university or want to be based in the Dinkytown area, I can thoroughly recommend Wales House as a great place to stay.

Date of stay: July 2015