“Perfect location, helpful staff and good accommodations” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of University Inn

University Inn
Ranked #15 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Lake Forest, Illinois
“Perfect location, helpful staff and good accommodations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2011

My husband and I were in town for an event on campus so decided to stay here because of location. It turned out to be a great choice offering walking distance to campus and the funky Dinkytown neighborhood (www.dinkytownminneapolis.com). The price cannot be beat and the rooms were very clean, comfortable and spacious. Having a kitchen was a bonus although the refrigerator was a little noisy at night.

The Inn is located in a student housing area of campus and was very quiet during our visit which included a Saturday night and is surrounded with frat/sorority houses so if there was partying going on you might hear it. Request a room facing the freeway (could not here any traffic noises) just in case.

Internet was accessible in the lobby area.

Check out Al's Breakfast for an experience unlike any other. Food was delish as were all of the other dining we did in the area.

Room Tip: All had thick cement block-type walls so VERY quiet.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2011

We agree with *all* the positive things mentioned by previous reviewers.

Additional comments:

- We had booked 10 nights, but when the Minnesota state shutdown was announced (a week before we arrived), we emailed them with concerns that we wouldn't have 10 days of stuff to do in the Twin Cities area, so we *might* want to leave a few days early. The reply was "no problem". When we left after 7 days, the originally quoted, discounted price ($74 per night x 10) was simply pro-rated to 7 nights.

- We had bicycles with us. They were easily stored in our spacious room. We used our bikes every day ... 360 kilometres total. Bicycling magazine was right: Minneapolis is the best city for cycling in North America. (We've done urban cycle touring in 14 Canadian cities and Washington DC.) It's a fantastic, active city with lots to see and do, as is St Paul.

- On 2 of the 7 mornings at ~6:15, internet was down, but we just told the front desk and they reset the modem.

- Prior to arriving, we had asked them about kitchen stuff (utensils, etc). We were given an accurate list, so we knew which supplementary things to bring.

Finally, the reason why I wrote "almost" in my title is because the University Inn is not a hostel. We almost always stay in a private room in a hostel because we really enjoy the interactions with other progressive people in the common kitchen and other common areas. (The only Minneapolis hostel has only fair reviews.) At the University Inn, the three front desk women were extremely pleasant to talk to, but it's not the same as talking to other travelers from all over the world. BTW, we're in our mid 50s.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2011

This hotel has a number of problems. 1. The room was very dirty. The shower curtain was covered in mold and had a bad smell. The floors, walls, everything needed a good cleaning. I know they don't do maid service everyday but this was months of dirt accumulated. In fact, the website boasts a new renovation but we didn't see much evidence of this.
2. The service was poor. The front desk only has a clerk about half the time and all of the clerks we encountered were unfriendly, unhelpful, and seemed bothered by having to help anyone.
3. The internet doesn't work. They don't have wireless and the ethernet connection in the room didn't work either most of the time. When we talked to the front desk clerk about this, she provided another cord that also didn't work.

By the end of the trip I was well ready to leave. Keep looking because this hotel is not it.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank snowingandcoldhere
Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2009

Perfect location, perfect price! We were so happy with our choice to stay here. Convenient to downtown without the price tag of downtown. And the fact that it is newly renovated and stylish was just an added bonus. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for the proximity to downtown but not the hassle.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank andr7022
Salamanca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2009

I stayed here 2 nights to attend a workshop at the university and was very happy with the room, the hotel in general and the location, especially for $85 a night. Besides a bed, night-table, television, etc., the room had a fridge. small dining table, microwave and armchair (may have had a stovetop too---I forget because I didn't do any cooking). The room was big, sunny, clean and pleasant. I saw a review that complained about IKEA furniture and no pictures on the wall. For $85/night, I didn't expect anything really high end and personally, the bare wall decor---i.e. no tacky hotel pictures--is a look I like (depends on your taste). The wireless, true, is not very effective, but all you have to do is ask for an ethernet cable at the front desk and plug it into your computer and the wall and voila! The location for the university is PERFECT---about a 10 minute walk. If you like Whole Foods type food, you can walk (about 15 minutes) to Lund's at University and Central and buy healthy prepared salads, fruit, etc For going downtown, take the 6 bus right outside the hotel (you do need exact change so go prepared--in order to get back, I think you need to take the 6U--ask the driver before you get on!). The inn is on a busy street and you can hear some street noise from trucks rumbling by (the inn is close to a major highway). I am very sensitive to noise and feared I might not sleep well, but it does calm down at night, so I had no problem.

The staff was unfailingly helpful. When I reserved, they gave me a discount code to use on the airport shuttle. They lent me an umbrella when it rained and a few weeks after my stay, when I requested that they fax a receipt to my work the same day, they did it immediately.

If you want to be handy to the University, the location, space, commodities and service of this place are hard to beat for the price!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business