“Chic, small room; take advantage of complimentary shuttle”
Review of aloft Minneapolis

aloft Minneapolis
Ranked #30 of 52 Hotels in Minneapolis
Reviewed 27 June 2012

This was my first stay at an Aloft Hotel, and it definitely has some hallmarks of the W brand but at a much lower price point. The rooms are chic and a little small, but well laid-out for the size. There wasn’t a dresser so if you want to unpack you have to put your clothes on a shelf. There were only six or seven hangers, which wasn’t enough for two people for three nights. Also, there wasn’t an iron or ironing board. The bed is definitely not one of the Starwood “Heavenly” beds; it was fine though.

The lobby has a trendy-ish bar and a spot to grab (overpriced) snacks. The exercise room was full of natural light and a great size (didn’t feel cramped). The pool is small, but there is a hot tub. There is an outdoor courtyard that can get its share of late-night revelers, so if you’re a light sleeper or early to bed you should request a room that doesn’t face the courtyard.

The immediate neighborhood is definitely lacking for restaurants and bars, but it’s a quick walk to the Metrodome light rail station, as well as the downtown area. Right next door to the Guthrie Theater, it is a close walk to the Stone Arch Bridge and walking paths. If you like walking or jogging, definitely head across the bridge to the other side of the Mississippi where you’ll find an extensive paved path.

If you prefer biking, there is a Nice Ride bike sharing station right outside of the hotel, although they don’t have helmets. What’s best is the hotel has a complimentary shuttle that will take you anywhere in a five-mile radius. You have to reserve it in advance, but it’s a great service and definitely makes up for the location. We used it several times and the shuttle drivers were all quite friendly.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 June 2012

I'm a Starwood employee myself, and visited the Aloft in downtown Minneapolis this labor day weekend. I was actually walked from my original hotel reservation and Aloft had rooms available and we're happy to make me a reservation. I had an incredible stay, the room was clean, service was prompt, and our trip was very enjoyable. But, what made this trip so memorable was the front desk service. They we're polite, caring, and jovial and we talked about the nature of my trip, local sights to see, and helped me modify my reservations. One talent member that especially stood out was Hawo, who's friendly demeanor and helpful attitude made our stay all the more enjoyable.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I was visiting the U Minnesota Business School for a conference. This was a good location in that I could walk to the conference. They also have a free shuttle you can reserve that will take you where you want to go (nearby). The hotel is not very close to downtown, so if you want a downtown experience you might want to stay somewhere else.

It appeared that parking was free (or at least easy and probably not expensive) - we didn't have a car.

The hotel lobby is light and bright, with lots of seating, a little self-service cafe in which you can grab yogurt, fruit, hot egg sandwiches, pre-packaged sandwiches, coffee drinks, soft drinks, etc. All the prices for these things are very reasonable. There also is a bar that connects to an outside sitting area. On a nice weekend evening I suspect this is a nice and busy scene.

My room was nicely designed, with ample surfaces for placing items. There is an ironing board, hair dryer, etc. There also was a TV, docking station for your iPod or iPad, well-lit desk, WiFi, etc. The bathroom was compact and again well laid-out. There was a coffee maker in the bathroom, as well as a mini-fridge under the bathroom sink. The toilet & shower are in a separate stall/room.

I asked for a "quiet room" and got it. I was near the end of the hall on the 2nd floor and had no noise problems.

The bed was comfortable but I was not thrilled with the pillows.

I would definitely stay there again - nice spot, great price, and stylish and functional.

Room Tip: Based on other reviewers' comments about the potential for bar noise, I asked for a quiet room.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank JoKnits
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Number one, the pool is the size of a hot tub, number two the food is mostly snacky bar food, numer three no room service. That being said the lounge/bar is fantastic if you are a person in your twenties this place is perfect! Finally I just have to say what really makes this place is the staff they are so nice, personable and accomodating that i just had to give it four stars.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2012

My husband and I stayed here this past weekend. It was our first time in MN and we were visiting friends. We used SPG points to book our stay and were deciding btwn 1 of the 4 star spg hotels or ALOFT, which is a 3 star hotel and therefore less expensive. (Usually we try to stay 4star).

We are both very happy we stayed here. We read several reviews before we made our decision and 1 thing that has become a pet peeve of mine is when ppl write reviews of a 3 star hotel, and expect it to be 5 star for half the price. My advice- if you want 5 star... PAY EXTRA.

Aloft is very clean. The bed was super comfortable and the staff was very friendly. I think the IKEA analogy was right on point, but I have nothing against IKEA for temporary furniture, so same applies to hotels.

I did request a room on a higher floor, so there would be no chance of noise from the bar. We did not hear any neighbors or dogs. It was very quiet and honestly, I do not think if I stayed on the 2nd floor I would have heard the noise from the bar, because it was a lot more tame than I anticipated based on the reviews.

I brought shampoo and conditioner with us, after reading Aloft only provides the 2 in 1 shampoo. problem solved.

We did not eat bkfst at the hotel because we are not into prepackaged sandwiches. so I can't comment on that. But basically anything you would want to get from a vending machine is available at the front desk.

The hotel is close to everything. Very easy to drive everywhere. We rented a car. Parking was $15/day. Easy, no issues.

The reason we did NOT give this hotel a rating of 5, is the towels were really not soft, the water pressure was weak, the toilet kept making noises (did not wake us up, but was annoying), the lighting in the shower area was dim and the closet was very small.

Otherwise, if you are considering staying at ALOFT for a weekend, we would recommend it.
Minneapolis is a cool city to check out, especially if you are going with kids. Great food too!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple