“Excellent Shrimp Tacos”
Review of Rojo Mexican Grill

Rojo Mexican Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Rojo Mexican Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #37 of 114 Restaurants in Edina
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 March 2016

My wife and I were staying at one of the hotels in the area and decided to give Rojo a try. We don't usually like chain restaurants but Rojo only has three locations and we've heard good things. Overall it was a bit of a chain experience with really oversized margaritas and free chips and salsa. But outside of that the shrimp tacos were amazing. They had a really nice balance of sweet and spicy. My wife ordered the fish tacos and they were great as well. They were a little more spicy and less sweet. At the end of the night we were pretty satisfied with the experience. It was better than I had expected for a restaurant attached to a shopping mall.

Reviewed 16 March 2016

We were here on a Tuesday night around 6:00PM. It's a popular spot and was extremely busy.

We didn't wait long to be seated, and the staff was incredibly professional, but the wait for our drinks and food made for a rough first visit.

The strawberry jalapeno margarita (once it arrived) helped improve the mood, along with the chips and salsa (we recommend asking for the guacamole as well).

Would order the Chicken Taco Salad again as well as the Carne Asada Tacos. That's if we decide to give this another try...

Reviewed 19 February 2016

Went with two other people. I had been here previously and had a positive experience but some of the recent reviews made me a little nervous. We ate a little after 12 noon on a Thursday. It wasn't too crowded. The waitress came by in good time for our drink, order then we ordered the Rojo guacamole for an appetizer. It came out with 5 minutes tops. Mango, cilantro, tomatoes, onions and lots of avocado! Be sure to order it when you go, it had just the right level of spice. I ordered the shrimp tacos and grilled corn on the side. The corn had the cheese and lime to give it the right amount of saltiness and sweetness. Others in my party wished they had ordered it. The tacos, 3 on flour tortillas were tasty with a chili sauce and came with beans and the sweet rice others have mentioned. The rice worked well with the tacos. One person had the half chicken torts and chopped salad with fries. She said the salad was flavorful but huge for a side salad. The other person had a large tomatillo salad and said it was really good too. It had like a green goddess dressing with it that I sampled. It was creamy and delicious. She ended up taking half of it home. The service was fast, friendly and we weren't kept waiting for anything. Even the 2nd bowl of chips arrived right after the guacamole. The free chips and salsa are good too. The salsa tasted freshly made with a little kick, the lime juice really seemed to brighten the flavor too. I think I want to try the lobster tacos next time.

Reviewed 2 January 2016

We visited this restaurant with our daughter-in-law and young grandchildren. The restaurant is family friendly and the menu has enough variety to satisfy all family members. Our granddaughters had mac and cheese, I had a Southwestern Caesar salad and others had the Fish Tacos. The salad was a nice change up of a Caesar salad and everyone enjoyed the tacos. The top-shelf margaritas were excellent. We only had one but it was a good one. Too often you wonder if the restaurant even puts in tequila. These definitely had tequila in them but were well blended. Service was provided by Robyn and she was friendly and efficient. Overall, a great experience for the price.

Reviewed 1 January 2016 via mobile

I love Mexican food and this place was a huge disappointment. The food was bland and the service poor. At least the prices were high, so that have that going for them. This is literally one of the two worst "Mexican" restaurants that I have ever visited. You have been warned.