See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 March 2016

The place is run down, then the owner tired to blame us and charge us for his worn out faulty equipment. The room was very small. His charges and the room charges were very expensive for the type and condition of the hotel. There is no breakfast or even coffee available. A vending machine with some candy was all that was offered. He had a hard time hearing, and was very hard to communicate with, and mixed up our dates, causing us to have to find another place before we were ready to leave. It looks like a budget hotel but they charge non budget prices. They claim they have wi fi and internet, but they do not, or if they do it never worked. The phone only worked sometimes. The bed was old and saggy.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family
4  Thank Samantha F
Chuck G, Owner at Allyndale Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2016

I'm very sorry that you found your stay less than satisfactory. Your review is rather vague and scattered, but it will be addressed in the order you provided. Anything that is worn out or in any manner faulty is immediately repaired or replaced. Room sizes and charges are subjective, while no matter where one stays it could always be larger and less expensive, it is a matter of fact that we are one of the most reasonably priced places in Duluth. Breakfast is provided between 7:30 am and 10:00 am. Coffee is served with breakfast and coffee is available 24/7/365 from the coffee maker and coffee provided in each room. Communication is a two way street, I try to be very exact and precise on the information that I am providing. Sometimes, while communicating the provided information is not accepted, not liking what one is being told is not a communication error. When we take a reservation a room is booked for the specific dates requested, no mix ups. When a request for change of a reservation is made we can accommodate changes as long as it does not infringe on another reservation. We do not strive to be a budget motel, we try to keep the flavor of the original motel alive. And at times keeping the vintage atmosphere is much more costly than going with the latest trends. We have upgraded amenities for guest convenience, we do have free WiFi throughout the premise, flat screen TVs and cable. Also, existing phones were replaced in 2015 and while our phones appear to be retro motel phones they were manufactured in 2014. Our beds are replace every three to four years and are industry standard bedding. In fact during a 3 to 4 year period our beds are used less than ones own bed at home. Also, at this time, I viewed our guest record for two month prior to the date of this review and no one named Samatha was registered here.

Reviewed 8 March 2016

We stayed at the Allyndale for a climbing festival in Duluth. This motel is a bit out of the way, farther south in Duluth than some of the "name" hotels. While a bit dated, the place was clean and neat, everything worked, and the price was reasonable. For the three of us we got a suite with a kitchen, a separate bedroom with queen and double beds, and a third queen bed in the living area, which also had a stuffed chair, a couch, dresser, big TV, etc. Warm, dry, shower worked fine. My only complaint is that the free wi-fi was slow. Not the worst thing that could happen. Quiet at night, and the fun spots in downtown Duluth are readily accessible (we timed as 10 minutes drive - in a snowstorm). I'd definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Number 14 is a suite, suitable for 3 or more.
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends
4  Thank Dennis R
Reviewed 27 December 2015

We stayed in this hotel while my husband was working in the area. We had a kitchenette room which is great so you don't have to eat out every night. The area is quiet but close to everything. The staff is wonderful and treated us well. We would stay here again!

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 November 2015

This motel is off the beaten path so it is not as noisy as others in the area that are closer to the highways. Also, the young lady at the front desk was really friendly and helpful.

The room was HUGE and it was very clean as well. Free WiFi, a choice of fresh fruit, pastries, toast or cereal in the morning and...you really can't go wrong for the price.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank NotAFoodSnobFromNY
Reviewed 8 November 2015 via mobile

I booked this hotel for a weekend visit to Duluth. I read some negative reviews but most said hotel was dated but clean so I thought it would be OK for the price. It was not OK. Carpet was worn and visibly dirty, it had obviously not been vacuumed. Food was on the floor all around the table. Many dead bugs on window sills. Bathroom floor looked like someone had dumped a shoe full of sand out on it. There was also a shoe print on the sheets when I pulled back the bedspread. Perhaps the worst thing was the dirty un-flushed toilet. Also just generally stuffy and dusty. I really wanted this to be an ok place to stay, but it just wasn't. Especially since it was only a few dollars savings over the spirit mountain inn which was a much better stay. I left without staying the night or coming back for my next day reservation. Tried contacting the hotel about a possible discount or refund and have yet to hear back.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled solo