“Lucky to get very good after initial greeting”

MASU Sushi & Robata
Ranked #27 of 256 Restaurants in Bloomington
Cuisines: Sushi
Reviewed 20 December 2015

I noticed that another reviewer also commented on the hostess with purple hair. Our first encounter was her not acknowledging our arrival and literally turning away to walk somewhere into the restaurant to do something without saying a word to us. She returned and and sat us, but was so bland. Her apathy would have been enough to turn us away if we would have had to wait but there were tables available. Seriously, the managers here should consider the impression she is giving customers. It is a turnoff.
Thankfully that impression was erased by a pleasant server who answered questions and made recommendations for two of us that weren't very familiar with the menu.
The food was quick and very tasty and we enjoyed the experience.
We tried a tofu ginger rice bowl, yakisoba, robata, steamed buns, and bacon wrapped quail eggs. All were delicious - I wasn't a fan of the buns, too doughy for me, but they were my daughter's favorite.

Reviewed 12 December 2015 via mobile

Even though the day we visited was the middle of the Christmas rush, the service was great and the sushi was wonderful. We'll be back!

Reviewed 10 December 2015

We went for our sons birthday. He loves sushi and was not disappointed! We had a couple of appetizers: seaweed salad, delicious and had a few other bits of vegetables that had been flavored wonderfully. Tsukemono Pickle plate, had a plickled plum, ginger, pickles, carrots and some frest greens, and the Spring salad, lite and fresh. We tried both of the steamed buns, one pork belly and one chicken teriyaki , fantastic! My son had an assortment of sushi which he loved. I had the Tonkatsu Curry ramen with pork tenderloin cutlet, which was crispy and heavenly, it had a poached egg with spices, more of a broth than a thick curry and very tasty! My husband had a dish that was also wonderful, but I can't recall what it was! Will look forward to returning!

Reviewed 6 December 2015

Finally have good ramen in the south part of town! I loathe going to MOA but we took a trip just for Masu. It is crammed in the middle of restaurant row and is a small location. There is a sushi bar to sit at or regular seating. Heavy handed on the cocktails, which is fine by me! I love lychee and martinis and they have combined them for my perfect drink! We got the pork belly ramen and the tonkatsu ramen. You can tell that the broth is made with love, it has a deep umami flavor and I could just drink it without the noodles and goodies piled on top. If you're really hungry, you might want to order a side of sushi to go with it. The Masu roll was huge and good, would definitely get it again. For some people, it will be a little pricey, but it's absolutely worth it, this is not your grocery store ramen. I will definitely go back to try more of the menu, even though it will be impossible to pass on the ramen.

Date of visit: November 2015
Reviewed 21 November 2015

A good place to enjoy sushi and your choice of that which you feels pairs well with same. The staff is excellent and engaging.

Date of visit: October 2015