“Great Chinese Food”

Cuisines: Sushi, Asian
Dining options: Buffet
Dining options: Buffet
Reviewed 20 October 2017

This is by far our favorite Asian buffet! Having lived in China and traveled to Japan once a month for many years, I've become used to getting Chinese food that, well, is "Americanized" here in the States. This is good, authentic fare.

Now, if you don't take advantage of the sushi, sashimi (刺身-raw fish ), fresh, raw oysters on the half-shell, you probably are paying a bit too much. These Japanese treats aren't always available, and when they are, it is a bit more expensive. We always tip the chef in hopes they will keep offering them. I love it with some wasabi (ワサビ or わさび) or Japanese horseradish mixed with some soy sauce and then the raw fish or sushi dipped in it. Be careful not to take too much of it, the world could disappear for a few moments if you're not paying attention. Raw ginger with it is also good.

There are many types of shrimp, usually crab-legs, lots of well done veggies and great Chinese style fish. Plus, everything else you would expect with a good Chinese buffet.

Drinks are included in the price, as well as dessert. I like to end the meal with some of their green-tea ice cream. A great way to top it all off.

Reviewed 19 October 2017

The service is efficient, if not friendly. The steam tray buffet is good. The soups are not the best thing on the menu. My co- workers come all the time because they have sushi (~10 roll combinations, all doused in mayo sauce, not my fave).

Reviewed 19 October 2017

98 pounds Buffet is a decent buffet in Bloomington, right off of 98th and Lyndale. There is quite a variety of buffet-style food and sushi. I have only been for lunch which was good. I am sure dinner has different offerings.

1  Thank Cemuni
Reviewed 18 October 2017

Well here I am looking for a decent Asian buffet in MN. I thought I would give 98 Pounds a try. I've seen it while driving by a few times. Pulling up to this strip mall in Bloomington right off 35w and 98th st should have been my first clue that this place is probably not up to par. Run down, and kind of beat up for the area. Whomever owns this mall should spend a few bucks on a renovation. Anyway, I continued in the door. The look...decent, typical Asian buffet, but kind of run down. Reasonably clean, but definitely not nice. I paid the 12+ bucks for lunch and sat down. The waitress was pleasant and asked for my drink order. She was great with the refills and clearing my plates, etc....I continued to the buffet. To the right was a sushi bar with maybe 10-12 different kinds to choose. While I'm not a sushi snob at all, the ones I tried were all OK. Not great, not terrible. Next to the sushi bar was a sad excuse for a salad bar. Very lame attempt. On to the hot food. There were 2 small stations (bars) that contained a reasonable selection of sub-par tasting food. I know this is MN so spicy food is typically not found in most restaurants but this everything I tried was extremely greasy tasting and lacking in flavor. Very bland, poor quality. Next to the 2 hot stations was a fruit and desert bar. Didn't eat any of the deserts but the fruit was fresh. All and all the lunch price was a little steep for what you get and the quality of the food, especially for lunch, was poor. If you want to see how a good MN Asian buffet should look and taste try Great Moon in West St. Paul on South Robert St. If just looking for a decent buffet that's nearby this place try Cucumbers in Edina. Both much, much better for either less or the same money.

Reviewed 5 October 2017

Nothing great, but there's a big selection & it's hot buffet. They also have sushi, but nothing special. Most selection is Chinese, a few american food items. also ice cream & jello for desert. price include drinks also.