All reviews sitting room fishing guide northern lights dick hosts jill scarlet runners motivational lake
Reviewed 30 June 2018 via mobile

Service was amazing, beds were comfy, and the baked goods were delicious. I would definitely go back. It was within walking distance of attractions and many good restaurants, and has a beautiful view of Lake Bemidji.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Jill B, Owner at Lake Bemidji Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2018

Yay! I am happy you enjoyed your time at our inn. Jill

Reviewed 25 January 2018

From the moment I walked in, it felt like home. Jill and Dick are so warm and welcoming. My husband found this gem when he visited his son in October so we decided to come back for a week in January. We enjoyed watching the snow fall, walking on the frozen lake, ice fishing with Dick, and reading in the cozy living areas. While we didn’t get to ski this time, we will surely be back for that. Jill’s breakfasts are outstanding and the soups and stews in the neighboring restaurants make this a wonderful place to visit even during the coldest months. Thank you Jill and Dick for your extraordinary hospitality!

Room Tip: The 'Lake Breeze' room has the best view.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank bga2018
Reviewed 23 October 2017

We were greeted outside by Jill and Scarlett (one of 2 share-dogs). After being shown about, we were taken to our room, "Northern Lights" which is beautiful. The room, though conservatively sized, is very comfortable, beautifully decorated, and, but for one rude motorcyclist on his "drag strip" late Friday night, is as quiet as a library. We never heard the other guests, nor any activity downstairs. The shining counterbalance to it's smaller size is the generous shared space just across the hall that includes a comfortable sectional and crisp large-screen TV, table and chairs, adjoining full kitchen with a drip coffee maker, and Keurig coffee machine and K-cups, and laundry. The kitchen includes all the gear you'd need to prepare and serve a full meal (if you were so inclined--we ate out). Our rating of 4 is based on our experiences in eastern seaboard B&B's and other WI and MN inns, eachl of which served high tea (or very close to it) at 4 pm. Jill provided a sideboard with a nice selection of tea bags, and great snicker-doodle cookies were available in the foyer. The breakfast arrangement was a bit atypical, with the table against the wall, and two of the 4 chairs along the side, facing the wall. We'd rather have faced our fellow guests (who, despite the awkward arrangement, were delightful to dine with), but there's always that "getting to know you" period that would be just a little less awkward with light background music. The dining table and tea sideboard appear to be co-located with host living space (we think). We were invited to join Jill if she was there (Dick was out of town), which we did, and watched some TV with her while we sipped a complimentary glass of wine. We were pleased to meet Dick on Sunday, the morning after he returned, who dished up a huge serving of genuine Minnesota Nice and we were glad for the opportunity to get to know him. His personality and personal story (as a near-death survivor, runner, and motivational speaker) are compelling. Finally, the "share dogs" Scarlett and Riley are AMAZING animals. Beautiful, friendly, and each affectionate in their own way: Scarlett is as playful as Riley is sedate, and both are completely loveable. Jill recommended the 209 Bar (among other restaurants) which we thoroughly enjoyed. Food was great, service was prompt, and the place was hopping. In contrast was Brigid's Irish Pub, which was not as good, and had the small crowd to prove it. We had lunch at the Minnesota Nice Cafe, which completely lived up to its name--the staff are all amazing, and we really enjoyed our food. All three restaurants are in town just a short drive or healthy walk away.

Room Tip: The "Northern Lights" room is nice, but small. We did not see the other rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Jill B, Owner at Lake Bemidji Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2017

Hi Bruce - I am happy that you enjoyed your stay and it was quiet and peaceful for you. Thank you for the comments regarding the table arrangement and the music. I agree, I should revise the table, and I will; as for the music, one of the many mornings I forgot to turn it on. Have a lovely day, Jill

Reviewed 20 October 2017

I came to Bemidji to visit my son, and the Lake Bemidji B&B was within a few blocks. It was more than perfect - not only made visiting easy, but Jill and Dick made it seem like home. My son and I watched Ken Burns' Vietnam story on the upstairs living room TV, enjoyed yummy breakfasts in the morning, and I had a beautiful view of sunrise over the lake through fall-changing leaves from the Lake Breeze room & balcony. It's right on the lakeshore walkway, just a short walk to downtown restaurants & shops. Took an impromptu fishing trip with Dick as guide one day, and my son caught 4 good ones. We will return!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

Great place to stay. Highly recommend this B&B as an option while visiting the Bemidji area or Lake Itasca State Park. Affordable, quiet, great breakfasts and wonderful conversation with hosts Dick and Jill. We will have to return to go fishing with Dick and to pet and play with their dog Scarlett.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Linde V
Jill B, Owner at Lake Bemidji Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2017

Thank you so much Linda, it was so nice to meet you and thank you for the kind words and playing with Scarlet so much! Jill