“Serene and thoughtfully appointed space”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Alexandra...
New York City, New York
“Serene and thoughtfully appointed space”
Reviewed 13 November 2016 for a stay in September 2016
people found this review helpful

My husband, toddler and I stayed here for ten days to celebrate our anniversary and daughter's third birthday and we truly enjoyed Sanctuaire. Gorgeous views of the lake and surrounding trees, beautiful artwork and a large selection of books to peruse, simple but ample kitchen and cleaning supplies and comfortable furniture all helped us unplug and simplify our daily routine. I was thrilled to find that the kitchen had two cast iron skillets as well as a lovely selection of teas. I loved the spacial arrangement of the house and the feeling of the place, and our daughter loved playing at the large, central coffee table (our favorite piece of art in the place)... We were there during an unseasonably hot bit of weather that made the house a tad uncomfortable in the afternoons (shutting the blinds and using the upstairs fan helped), but with hikes and the beach a short drive away, we were able to hide from the heat! We really loved the outside seating area, where we enjoyed the view, the sounds and snacks we bought at the lovely farmer's market! It was a peaceful location, and a reprieve from the bustle of the main street during a busy summer season. We look forward to staying here again in hopes of soaking in more of this house's amazing aura (and reading a few more books)... Thank you Mona for creating such an inspiring space and for sharing it!

Liked best: Exactly as advertised
Liked least: Leaving
Travelling group: Young Children
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
jeffreydi...
Chicago, Illinois
“I Love this place so much, and i would come back again.”
Reviewed 17 August 2016 for a stay in August 2016
people found this review helpful

We searched through hundreds of different Vacation Rental properties, mostly in California, when a computer glitch brought me to this listing. When I saw it, I knew it was the right place for us. The pictures, while lovely, do not do this place the justice it deserves. We had never been to Michigan before, and were looking for a calm, relaxing place to spend the holiday week. Although you are on the lake, (and it was stormy while we were there) there was a significant peace around you. You can feel the waves crashing far below, birds singing in the air like a bell. The whole experience was uplifting and beautiful. The surround sound music and big plasma TV with streaming WI-FI was a nice touch, though we only used it once or twice. I spent most of the time sitting in the 3 Season room surrounded by windows. From there, I watched the waves, the trees sway and the scattered birds and other wildlife. I broke through years of writers block and immediately started drawing and writing again. When they say that it is an energy portal, they are very much correct. I felt the power the moment we walked in the door, and took it home with me when we left. We enjoyed every room in the house. The loft with the skylights were amazing, you felt like you were inside a tree. The master bedroom was especially nice overlooking the lake. The shower was perfect. The kitchen, was stocked and with fairly new appliances. The books, , kept us constantly inspired and curious. The living room felt homie and welcoming. We loved this place so much, that we decided to get married. Thank you Sanctuaire. As two people who insist on trying new things, and always going new places, we have decided that this is one place we cannot resist coming back to. See you soon!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: I love the lake, because I like going fishing.
Liked least: Weather.
Chicago, Illinois
“Relaxation Squared”
Reviewed 14 August 2016 for a stay in May 2016
people found this review helpful

My wife and I were recently married and one of our good friends booked us two nights at Sanctuaire as a wedding gift. It was probably the best gift we received. We went swimming and fishing at the beautiful Singer Lake and had the whole lake for ourselves the entire time! The house was so cozy, so charming, so relaxing that we were 100% content and at peace with our surroundings. The energy must have been flowing because for a day where we didn't go outside- we sure stayed busy. This was a really great place that I'd recommend to anyone looking for a relaxing getaway that is unique and avoids all the lame cliché's of lake houses. We hope to return!

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Reviewed 14 August 2016 for a stay in June 2016
person found this review helpful

karenE130...
Lake Forest, Illinois
“Amazing, tranquil, romantic retreat”
Reviewed 14 August 2016 for a stay in July 2016
people found this review helpful

I truly cannot think of a more romantic place as a getaway. Far enough from Lake Michigan and Chicago so I'm not freaking out about tsunamis & terrorists, but the views are amazing and this is THE PERFECT cabin for a couple or small family. Zero complaints. In love.

Liked best: Swimming in the lake and the Wineries
Liked least: That we could only stay one week
Travelling group: Young Children
Your age range 35-49
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
People with pets
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing