“A bit more expensive than I was looking for”

Grand Traverse Distillery
Ranked #15 of 111 things to do in Traverse City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Grand Traverse Distillery is Michigan's oldest craft distillery and we are family owned. We use 100% locally grown corn, wheat and rye to distill our award winning spirits which include the True North Vodkas [Rye, Wheat, Cherry, Chocolate & Chipotle], Gin, Rum and our Whiskies [Ole George 100% Rye, Bourbon, as well as many small batch specialty ones]. We also offer 100 Proof Michigan White Dog Whiskey We have 5 Tasting Rooms located throughout the state in Traverse City, Frankenmuth, Leland,Grand Rapids and Ann Arbor so you can stop by and have the Grand Traverse Distillery experience and enjoy tastings and cocktails. We also have joint Tasting Rooms with Black Star Farms Winery where you will find both of our products and be able to taste and have a cocktail. Our Main Distillery Tasting Room is open Monday through Saturday 11-a.m. to 5:30-p.m and is closed Sundays. We offer tours 6 days a week at 1:00 pm & 3:00 pm from May 1 through August 31. October 1 through April 30 tours are offered only on Fridays and Saturdays. Cheers, Kent Rabish!
Grand Rapids MIchigan
89 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 143 helpful votes
“A bit more expensive than I was looking for”
Reviewed 13 December 2011

The site is interesting but the prices here seem to be a bit on the high side.

Visited December 2011

Muskegon, MI
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“A great alternative or addition to the wine trail!”
Reviewed 7 November 2011

The staff at Grand Traverse Distillery are very friendly and knowledgeable. I truly enjoyed not only finding out about how the various spirits are made but also hearing about why they do what they do. It's obvious that they are motivated by a love for their craft, not just financial success. The vodka and whiskey tasting afterwards was amazing, and really served to solidify what we just learned about on the tour. We were impressed with the selection vailible in the retail shop, including some spritis only availibe for purchase there. We look forward to the cranberry vodka and the cherry whiskey, when it becomes available.

Visited November 2011
1 Thank crose75
Pendleton
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Yummy & Interesting”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

The your was good, just enough information without being too over the top. This was a family vacation and I appreciated that they involved & interacted our kids in the tour since they obviously could not tast test. Enjoyed the cherry vodka & whiskey.

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“This is a must see!”
Reviewed 10 October 2011

If you are a vodka and whisky lover this is a must do in Traverse City. I recommend taking the short tour of the distillery (very interesting) followed by the tasting. Glad we found it!

1 Thank Loulag81
Saint Clair Shores, Michigan
“What a fun experience!”
Reviewed 22 September 2011

We were in the Traverse City area for a bachelorette weekend, and the bride-to-be is a big vodka fan. Her MOH had tried the GTD Cherry Vodka prior to our trip and knew it would be a great place to stop.

I have to admit, I am not a vodka fan. I did sample the cherry vodka and chocolate vodka- I loved the cherry. I am, however, a fan of whiskey, and let me tell you, their Ole George Rye Whiskey was fantastic!

The tour of the distillery was very interesting. The owner led the tour and was more than willing to answer any questions that we had. It was really a cool experience.

The small charred oak barrels with the unaged whiskey is also such a great idea! Fantastic gift for that guy who has everything.

Visited September 2011