See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 9 December 2015

My fiance and I booked here to visit her parents in Beverly Hills. We stayed here for almost 3 weeks. The entire place is a coronicopia or weird smells: cheap perfume to cover sour carpet smells in the hallways. Fabreeze to cover dog urine smell. And rooms that either smell like bleach or camel cigs or both. The carpet was dirty in our room. I heard the rooms were renovated 5 years ago but a lot of the visitors are in construction so it is a bit worn out from that group being rough on the units. Water is brown in tub. Our dishwasher was vintage and it leaked. The fridge, which was a different color (fridge black/washer almond) did not get very cold, in fact, things in the freezer were always thawed. Worse yet, management lets sketchy people stay here. People with mental problems. They even have an army green bus with blacked out windows parked out back with an long cord to plug in inside. And, along with the abandoned, tagless vehicles that surround it -- makes for a trailer park atmosphere. There are also police break-in here I have been told. So, would I stay here again? 100% --- no way. $70 was too much for a Motel 6 with a little better furniture. Bed is way too soft. And the walls are way too thin. I could hear neighbor singing - prob. on something. My girl and I will look for something better next time where are visiting.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank ogden1512
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Detroit, Southfield, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2015

Dear ogden1512,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with our hotel. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you had with the general condition of our rooms and property. I would like to follow up on this situation that is why I have sent you a private message to obtain more information. I hope that you can respond at your soonest available time.

Regards,

Mike F.

Reviewed 28 September 2015

I stayed there for one week on a business trip. I've been staying very often and for many years in Candlewood Suites hotels and I can say this hotel is very average. The vicinity is not so nice but is safe and close to two freeways. The overall condition is ok. Also my queen bed studio was ok. I'd even say that the design is a little nicer than other hotels of this chain (not so old fashioned). Overall, this hotel is not a beauty but what would you expect for this price.

The price is significantly lower than other hotels in the area offering free breakfast. So, this is the deal: Housekeeping is just once per week and you do your own breakfast. No problem with me since I prefer my own healthy breakfast to these poor free breakfasts.

Staff was mostly very nice except for the lady checking me in at arrival which was after frontdesk was closed for the night. All other staff was very friendly and eager to please. I had two technical problems and they were very eager to fix it quickly.

A big plus for me and one of the reasons for choosing this place was the multi-purpose resistance machine they have in their gym. I was not disappointed and it turned out to be very effective for my daily workout.

Overall: I can recommend this place and will surely visit again.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Detroit, Southfield, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2015

Dear Carlos C,

Orlando A.

Reviewed 13 September 2015

Stayed there for a short weekend trip, at first arrival I was happy with the setup of the room, spacious and has all the kitchen basics you would need for getting buy... Here is why I am not happy with my stay, first and foremost although the room looks clean at first glance it is NOT. The room smelled very strongly of urine, I kid you not, it was as though someone subordinated on the leather chair next to the bed, so the bathroom smelled like urine due to not cleaning well enough, and the main room also smelled like urine. Moving on to the actual bed, the duvet/sheets they used to cover the comforter was just covered with itchy fuzz like lint that made it impossible to get comfortable, I took a picture of what I'm talking about and will try to attach to this review. The bed itself was not comfortable, very hard and almost feels like you are sleeping on cardboard. The third most irritating thing was the WiFi which was slow and unreliable, I could get near the amount of work done that I was hoping to do. The staff was very nice though, greeting always and polite, I didn't mention my grievances because I Didn't have any time to do so. I probably would not stay here again because of the smell, WiFi, and lack of comfortable bedding. I wonder if all candlewoods are like this......

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Shi S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Detroit, Southfield, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2015

Dear Shi S,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us, especially with the room cleanliness, bed firmness and the internet service. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Detroit Southfield.

Orlando A.

Reviewed 31 August 2015

This is a place where people who work here care about the people who stay here. It felt like an apartment community. overall clean and functional. The bed in our room creaked and sagged like the last person staying had weighed a great deal and spent a lot of time in the middle of the bed. A call to the front desk and they were quick to offer a solution and brought a different bed the next day so I didn't have to pack up and move rooms. The are pet friendly, people friendly, traveler friendly. Everything needed for a one week+ stay is available.

Room Tip: front parking fills up fast, getting a room near the 'end' makes quick access to parking in rear.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank cmartinVance
Reviewed 27 August 2015

I guess when you let someone else book your work hotel you cannot expect to get what you were looking for... the room smelled weird I cannot explain the smell but it was strange. Every night after 4/5 the bathroom smelled like cigarettes to the point where I would be coughing. The floor in the kitchen area was slimy and gross. It had space and a small gym, but there really is not anything within walking distance and it seems like there are a lot of people that call this place home which was also strange. I won't be coming back.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Detroit, Southfield, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2015

Dear AStoyss,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. We regret that your stay was not 100% satisfactory. We would also like to apologize for falling short of your expectations regarding our rooms and bathrooms. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve and continually provide the best guest experience possible. In addition, your feedback has been forwarded to our management to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

Again, our apologies for the inconvenience and we hope to have another opportunity to provide you a much better experience.

Joel A