“I really only care about price, so I'd probably stay there again...”
Review of Springwood Suites

Springwood Suites
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Southfield
Columbus, Ohio
“I really only care about price, so I'd probably stay there again...”
Reviewed 6 September 2011

My aunt got married this weekend and we stayed from sept 2-5. I needed a room that would be comfortable for our family. I booked our room based on price, then started reading the reviews... As far as the area, I spent my summers in Detroit so I was familiar with the area, and it was close to my aunt's house as we were in town for her wedding. I think its located in an area that if you grew up in the inner-city, you wouldn't really feel like its not safe. With that said, this place looks like a ghetto apartment complex. The pic on their website does not represent what you should expect when you get there, it all looks rundown. The pics they used for the rooms and "fitness center" must have been from when it first opened. The breakfast area looks similar to the pics but thats about it. I have added some pics of my own.

The website states, "...join us for our complimentary, delicious and hot breakfast buffet each morning" I don't think delicious is the right word. The potatoes were cold, the french toast sticks were cold, and everything else was your usual low-budget hotel food, sub-par mini muffins, danish, coffee etc. "enjoy an invigorating workout in our fully equipped fitness room" that statement is pure comedy. If by fully equipped they mean a treadmill, elliptical, and bike in a small room with a few towels then I should've had lower expectations. I noticed that the manager responded to posts on here about the fitness center being upgraded, my question is when?? And until then why not take that pic and that statement off of the website. The pic of the pool is also not the one they have, their pool is alot smaller. "...pick up a game on our Sports Court"... I would have liked to, yet the sports court was just a run-down fenced in area with a pole where a basketball hoop USED to be.

It was obvious that some of the people there on "extended" stay were actually living there. When there is a car sitting in a spot wit flat tires and there are kids bikes outside the door, that seems like more than an extended stay. The parking is terrible, and with people having visitors all hours of the night, you have to drive around searching for a spot. On Sunday around 2:30 a.m. I thought I was hearing gunshots, it lasted for about 15 mins, the next morning I was informed by one of the "residents" that it was firecrackers.

The tub in our room was dirty, and you could see footprints, so we first used some bleach wipes, that did not work. Next we tried scrubbing bubbles, that also did nothing, the footprints and dirt wasn't going anywhere, ultimately we did like college dorm showers and just wore flip flops in the tub.

The appliances were beat up and one of the eyelets on the stove was completely broken. When we called and asked for more towels, they asked were we on extended stay and why we needed more. I've never stayed anywhere that the request for towels wasn't answered with a simple "no problem." For some reason they de-activated our room key and @ 2:00 a.m. we had to go to the lobby and have it re-activated. There are 2 ways to get into the lobby and the back door was locked, the girl working the desk motioned for us to go around instead of opening the door for us.

Overall, this is probably one of the worst places I've stayed. If the hotel plays a big part in your trip, and you have high expectations, then I'd suggest looking elsewhere. If you can plan your trip where the hotel is just somewhere to shower, sleep, and keep your luggage then this is perfect. I like the deal on the price, and I know to expect a 2 star hotel, so honestly, I'd probably stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank jay p
Ajay D, General Manager at Springwood Suites, responded to this review, 2 December 2014
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to provide us feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We regret that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. We have corrected the issues you had outlined in your feedback. We hope to be of service to you in the future. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us and we will utilize your response by continuing to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be. Regards, Ajay Dutt, GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Not only was this facility dirty, run down, and unsafe ( my husband saw someone getting arrested in the parking lot, and our travel buddies had cockroaches in their room), but they charged my card 3 times. And when I called to dispute it, they didn't even have the correct records of what was charged. Do NOT stay here!!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank maroof83
Southfieldsales5shm, Director of Sales at Springwood Suites, responded to this review, 23 August 2011
maroof83,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. Our property is located in a very busy city. A hotel environment can sometimes make people unwind a little too much, hence the police's presence at our property during stay. We always put safety first here and have our security staff and police handle any issue that arises. Also, I personally handle any billing discrepancies, so please feel free to contact me so that we can get everything straightened out..

Travellers are raving about these Southfield hotels

Saginaw, Michigan
Reviewed 16 August 2011

We found 2 adult bed bugs at 5am and than a cockroach in the other bed. Under the bed we found a marijuana cigarette. Went directly to the front desk and was told I would have to wait for the manager to get in. Staff gave us another room and walked in to find horribly stained couch and chair, the stuffing was missing from the furniture and stains on the wall. It was disgusting! There was no internet or phone book to look for other hotels. Finally got ahold of the manager 3 days later and he would not refund the cost of the room. He did not return phone calls and was unreasonable when I was able to get him on the phone. We called ORKON and followed their suggestions to not spread the bugs and it cost over $50 to wash everything and had to throw away all food and luggage. Manager said that was my choice and would not help with that cost.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank laura a
Laura A,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. Please contact me personally so we can work on correcting these issues, so that we may provide you with a better stay.
Southfield, Michigan
Reviewed 9 August 2011

1. No towels in Room by 3pm Checkin. When I called to complain, I was told, "I had to wait until they do their runs". I personally thought that towels were a part of room preparation, thus the 3pm checkin time.

2. When the towels arrived, they had hair on them prior to my use, consequently I didn't use.

3. The TV didn't work; I had to request a new remote and after trying three times, it was corrected. The remote actually had tape on the back of it.

4. The phone adjacent to the bed did not work, not only didn't it, but it wasn't even plugged into a line to work.

5. Trash bins shouldn't be outside a customer's door entry which in fact it was, also bed linen including sheets should not be on the gound outside the room. That is extremly unsantitary.

6. BUGS; and typically I understand nature, but an establishment's cleanliness or lack thereof plays a role in the increase of them, especially in the guest rooms.

7. Theres NO workout room as advertised unless you consider a closet with a treadmill a workout experience

Room Tip: Penthouse Only if you must stay here
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Mark S
Southfieldsales5shm, Director of Sales at Springwood Suites, responded to this review, 10 August 2011
Mark S,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Due to our high occupancy and large volume of guest requests for extra towels and linens, the hotel does sometimes fall briefly behind on getting a new rotation of towels and lines out on property. We always make sure all the arriving rooms are cleaned and ready in time for check in, but every so often a few rooms might still be having the towels delivered to them. We always do our best to keep up with our guest's requests, but we are a very large property. Also, since this property is an extended stay property, we leave large trash and linen disposal devices outside each building so that our guests don't have to walk all the way to the lobby each time they want to dispose of something. These things are in place for our guest's convenience.
Southfield, Michigan
Reviewed 4 August 2011

enjoyed the stay. front desk was pleasant checking in/out. room was clean and more than what i was expecting in terms of kitchen with utensils, fridge, stove and microwave, sofa sleeper, with flat screen tv, comfortable bed. was an overall great stay. located in heart of great city, southfield. with lots of major corporations presence, theaters, shopping, restaurants, bars, parks,and more.

Room Tip: room was a home away from home oasis.enjoyed the stay. room was spacious that cover various spaces...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank onthatspot
Onthatspot,

Thank you for taking your time to review the hotel. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed the room's amenities and service from the front desk staff. My staff and I look forward to your return.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southfield
17.3 km away
2.6 km away
Courtyard Detroit Southfield
Courtyard Detroit Southfield
#4 of 20 in Southfield

Been to Springwood Suites? Share your experiences!