All reviews old mansion carriage house rust room bagels potatoes scrambled eggs continental breakfast ricardo
Reviewed 7 April 2018 via mobile

I loved the stay at this inn. There are a few details keeping me from giving it five stars, but they are really nitpicky and if 4.5 were possible, that's the direction I would go.

The rooms were charming. There were so many different rooms from a beautiful master suite to the smaller rooms on the third floor and in the servants quarters. We booked online through hotels.com and got a great rate, but also one of the smaller rooms in the back.

Turns out that was just fine! The room was more than adequate for one or two nights, with a big bathroom, comfy bed, and PLENTY if heat (it was cold out). Ricardo, the MOD greeted us warmly and spent a lot of time showing is around the place. I'm a bit of a history nerd, so it gave me a chance to really enjoy looking around a mansion built during prohibition without having to worry about not touching things like I would in a museum tour. (See if you can find the secret doors in the library!)

We were out late but returned to find the door unlocked for us to come in (Ricardo had said he would lock it behind us when we got back). We spent the night comfy and cozy in the RUST room. Not a lot of light at sunrise... Which we liked... But GORGEOUS views of the sunset over the water... And yes... We saw deer.

So why not 5? Previous reviewers have pointed out that this is no longer a B&B, and indeed, the breakfast was only a light Continental breakfast... Not much there. I'm a coffee snob and the coffee tasted... Well... Cheap... I think the coffee maker needs to be cleaned and they should put it a better quality of coffee. Having a key to access the back door after hours as opposed to having to leave it unlocked until the last person comes in would make more sense to me, and would probably make me feel a bit more comfortable with security... Though this is A VERY quiet area. From a housekeeping/maintenance standpoint, the rooms were well kept and maintained for a building as old as this one, but some of the details were missing... Nothing major and nothing that impacted our stay... Just details.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank 1974christophers
Reviewed 19 March 2018

Although the innkeeper was friendly and the house is beautiful, I can't recommend it. The rooms weren't clean; I noticed hairs and dirty spots on the toilet seat and floor, spots on the mirror, rug, and upholstery, dirty breakfast dishes in the kitchen, and an old musty smell everywhere, indicating that the room and house hadn't been thoroughly cleaned. Based on that, we decided not to use the tub either. Combined with a very squeaky bed, it didn't work well for a romantic getaway.

Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2018

So, I arrived late for my stay. Pulled in after midnight. Ricardo, the Innkeeper was waiting on me and couldn't have been nicer. He did a great job of giving me the overview of the property and all of the amenities. He then escorted me to my room and I was very pleased. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. The bathroom was awesome. In the morning I had one of the best hot showers I have ever had in a hotel.
I don't normally get up to try the free breakfast, but I did this time and I'm glad I did! The food was hot and delicious!
I only stayed one night at The Montague, but I really wish I could have extended my stay!

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Joann G, Manager at Montague Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2018

Greetings,
Thank you for your recent stay and taking the time to write such a pleasant review. We also wish you
could have had a longer visit. Hope our paths will cross again in the future.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 24 February 2018

I normally hesitate staying at B&B's because I feel like I'm in someone else's house. That wasn't the case the minute I walked into the Montague Inn. Ricardo greeted me with a smile & plenty of information as he showed me to my room.
I was only staying for a night but could see how enjoyable the Montague would be for a longer visit. It sits on 8 acres on a lake. Though i was there in February, there was still plenty of life outside. Didn't have time for breakfast but while grabbing a cup of coffee and having a conversation with the innkeeper, saw a fox out back. Curious, later I walked to the lake where they hold weddings and other events and saw a bald eagle above. You could see how the place would be incredible in Spring through Fall.

That said, even though it was a called February evening, my room was warm, clean and comfortable. Great night's sleep. There are various different sized rooms and suites. Traveling alone and for just one night, I got a basic room but saw some of the other options and was impressed.

Ricardo was there again to handle check out, which again, was simple. Just a great experience-look forward to coming back.

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo

Hello Bill,
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. The nature and wildlife on the property are part of the relaxing experience
we strive to provide. Should you find yourself traveling this way again please feel welcome to stop in and say Hi or maybe even stay the night! Looking forward to seeing you again.
Warm wishes,

Reviewed 22 February 2018

The Montague Inn used to be an excellent place for staying and eating. However, it is no longer the case. Very overpriced for what you get now. Sheets and bed covering were dirty, and the breakfast was low quality.

Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank pbjharris6

Greetings,
We are always striving to accommodate our guests needs..Thank you for your review,
as we will look into your situation to explore ways to improve and rectify the issue so others may have a more pleasant experience.
Kind reagrds,