“Ambience, food, waitstaff great”

D'Amato's Restaurant & Goodnite Gracie Martini Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
D'Amato's Restaurant & Goodnite Gracie Martini Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 230 Restaurants in Royal Oak
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 4th Street
Transit: Both the Bus station and the Amtrak train stops are within 1 short block of the restaurant.
Description: D'Amato's Italian Restaurant is an upscale dining destination in Downtown Royal Oak. Our kitchen serves authentic & rustic Italian cuisine, complemented by our distinguished wine list and house-crafted martinis. Ask anyone in the neighborhood: D'Amato's (and its sister establishment next door, Goodnite Gracie), is a must-visit for anyone looking to enjoy marvelous food and drink, live entertainment and dancing in Royal Oak's vibrant entertainment district.
Reviewed 20 August 2018

Dinner after a movie on a beautiful summer evening. Front windows open to the street. Lamb chops were to die for. My husband enjoyed the brisket. We both brought home leftovers. Cosmo cocktail weak but house merlot quite good. Waiter was attentive but not intrusive. A lovely evening.

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed 15 July 2018

Brunch: Ordered the Asparagus Sundried Tomato Omelet with Rye Bread. The eggs were very dry as were the potatoes. It contained little asparagus and tomatoes, but quite a bit of goat cheese, almost too much. I would not order it again. Friend ordered Crab Cake Benedict and said it was good. Service was very good.

Dinner: At 4:30 p.m. we were told there were no seats available, yet no one was there. However a server overheard the comment, stepped in and we were seated. The hostess asked us if we would be done eating by 7:00 p.m. During our meal we noted there were several empty tables. Bread was brought. It was a little soggy from too much oil and it was not crusty. There was olive oil, balsamic vinegar and parmesan cheese with individual saucers to make a dipping sauce. We ordered Bruschetta, D’Amato’s Salad, Potato Dill Soup, Chicken Marsala, Alfredo, and Gnocchi with Palomino Sauce and a Brownie with Ganache Frosting. The Bruschetta was piled with too many tomatoes. The Potato Dill soup was good and creamy, but really did lack pieces of potato. The Chicken Marsala was okay. The sauce did not have any real substance, enough mushrooms or wine flavor. It was served with Penne Pasta with Pesto Sauce. We felt they did not complement each other at all and the Pesto Sauce was not good at all. The Alfredo was good, not something you would go out of your way for. The Gnocchi had a very different flavor. Again not bad, but nothing you would crave or go out of you way for. The best part of the meal was the Brownie with Ganache Frosting. It was rich and wonder. Something you would crave and go out of your way for. Again our server was very good.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 11 July 2018

We live 7 hours away and were in town for a concert. We were not familiar with any of the local restaurants. We picked this one for dinner based on its menu and we were very glad we did. Food was excellent. We got the pasta instead of potatoes and it was fantastic. We got the prime rib special, which included wine and dessert, a GREAT deal. Our waiter was excellent, too. Overall a wonderful dining experience.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 9 July 2018

I’ve been a resident of Royal Oak for over 27 years. Went in just before the restaurant opened and filled out an Application for bartending or waiting tables part time.
The owner comes of the kitchen all sweaty and smelled like sewer with his
I was dressed up in all black with a black tie (no Suit jacket).
I knew he had no intention of hiring me so I asked him for my Application back.

No need to have all my info. Correct?
He was so mad after he finally handed it over then proceed to ask me “want me to throw that out for you”.
I have 8 years of bartending and serving experience.
No I think you’re just a miserable person.
This a high end restaurant. Really?
Most expensive plate on the menu is $27.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 24 June 2018

I went with another couple who frequent D’Amato’s and I found out why. The ambiance and the staff were engaging and we were seated near a large open window on a perfect day weather wise. We were met by our waiter Alex C. Who was immediately attentive, knowledgeable, and pleasant. We ordered Bruscheta and Calamari and could have completed the meal with a few plates of these. Both with excellent presentation and great flavor. Dinners included Chicken Marsala with terrific Marsala sauce with mushrooms, Flavorful Chicken Picatta, again with perfect pal or including vibrant capers. I took a chance on the Peppered Brisket which was tender, with a sweet flavor with underlying orzo mac. Not peppery at all. Just great flavor. House salads were perfect for all.. A truly enjoyable event!

Date of visit: June 2018