“Unhelpful front desk”

Howard Johnson Romulus Detroit Metro Airport
Ranked #21 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
Reviewed 21 November 2017

Called to make a reservation for my wife who will not make her connecting flight at DTW. The desk said they can make the reservation but refused to take my payment over the phone. After giving them the info about her, the woman asked for my credit card to secure the reservation and said that it would be non-refundable. "Think about the logic here." I asked, " If you aren't able to charge my card for the room payment, how can you charge my card if they don't show up?" Their reasoning was that they can't charge it without my photo ID. She then got short with me saying that it will now be a cash hold. When I asked what that meant, she said that there is no guarantee of the room since there is no credit card. I said, that I have a card and ready to give the number but she still insisted it will now be a cash hold and wasn't willing to accept my card under their inconsistent policy. This is the 2nd time I've had to give a negative review of this property and there is simply no excuse for the in experience and lack of customer service at this establishment. Time to move on. Book anything else since there is plenty of selection in the immediate area.

Room Tip: Make sure you find a room that has been recently remodled
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,172)

Reviewed 19 November 2017 via mobile

This place is a slum. The halls are filthy, covered in good or garbage. Sheets smell like the person who slept there before and I’m not sure they were changed. Paper thin walls, noisy, filthy. Loud argument outside my window at 1 am, I left in the middle of the night. Don’t believe the 5 star ratings. Someone’s getting paid to do that. Even if my bad experience was an exception, no more than a 2 -3.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Rich H
Reviewed 12 November 2017

I stayed at the HoJo after a late flight before heading home. It was okay, I didn't want to use the shower. It wasn't gross necessarily but not so much clean either. The linnens were crisp and felt clean. The decor was updated but the facade was crumbling in places. For less than $70 it wasn't bad for one night.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kochgrrl
Reviewed 12 November 2017

When we checked there was a what I assumed a guest asking the lady at the counter who was in his room because he was missing money. Not very comforting also very noisy at night hard to sleep

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
1  Thank ericbJ6085GD
Reviewed 11 November 2017

We checked in with our reservations that were quickly and accurately looked after Bt Shaina. We went out and parked our truck in the long term parking location. As we were leaving our truck we were approached by a male asking for money. He gave us a story about his mother having a heart attack and not being able to get a cash refund for the room from hotel staff. We went in and spoke to Shaina again and advised her about the male. She advised he had not even been in the hotel and that his story was a scam. She went outside to chase the male off but couldn't find him.Shaina had to deal with checking in people so she got Ali to go around again. Ali was also super and advised he would keep an extra look out for the male. Both these staff members went above and beyond to put our minds at ease. We went to our room and found it clean and comfortable. We had an amazing good night sleep in the comfortable beds. The wake up call came on time and the shuttle service also got us to the airport on time and stress free. We did not take advantage of the breakfast but it looked very good. We have done other park and fly stays with other hotels and there has always been problems of some sort. We will definately use this hotel again.

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson