“Overpriced mediocre food”

Ranked #28 of 106 Restaurants in Petoskey
Price range: US$20 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Old world comfort in an upscale casual atmosphere. Regional Italian cusine, over 30 menu selections. Award winning Italian wine list. Full bar service. Reservations suggested. Casual attire, jeans acceptable.
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Service was great, food was overpriced. The menu was hard to understand. The waitress was very nice and they staye dup on drink refills. The food was overcooked and did not have good flavor. Was very disappointed.

1  Thank ashnray373
There are newer reviews for Villa Ristorante Italiano

Reviewed 18 September 2011

This is an unexpected little gem in vacationland! Wonderful authentic Italian food. Great ambiance - and super prices.

Reviewed 15 September 2011

Villa has been in Petoskey for quite some time and with good reason. Warm, old-fashioned and charming. Serving what many of us remember as the classic 'Italian-American Food'. Hearty and filling soups, in particular the White Bean, delicious at any time. I especially enjoy their pasta dishes as the sauces are deep with taste and very satisfying. The menu is a la carte, intimidating to some, but appreciated when you are limiting the amount of food received. We've sampled many entrees and have never been disappointed. Extremely pleasurable on a cold winter's evening.

Reviewed 18 August 2011

Really enjoyed this place. My antipasto saled and my wife's bean soup were great starters. Bread sticks with a nice dipping sauce followed by bread with a really good bean pate. My wife had the rigatoni and I the veal parmigian. Both were excellent. Hazel nut gelato and fozen orange custard were super endings. I definitely recommend this if you are looking for Italian. You may want to make reservations as several parties without reservations were turned away. Nice atmosphere too.

2  Thank spartyed1
Reviewed 23 July 2011

We decided to visit this restaurant on our stopover in Petoskey. We have been driving the entire state of Michigan on this trip, eating at some pretty nice restaurants, and this was the best meal by far.

When we arrived, we were asked "did you happen to call ahead?" which was a little off-putting. We were asked to wait while a table was prepared. Now, this is not a large restaurant...about 16 tables....but it was only a quarter full, and there was never a time during our visit where it was completely full, so I'm not certain why the question. Apparently it is scripted that way as I heard the question repeated each time a patron entered. Perhaps a more friendly greeting could be formulated. Anyway! We were seated in a comfortable booth, albeit next to the door, and greeted by our waitperson Heather. She was helpful, attentive, and professional. Helped my DH choose a glass of wine, and had suggestions when we needed them. Every server should be as good as Heather.

I ordered veal parmigana, which came with spaghetti. I'm not a huge fan of spaghetti as I find it too filling, so I asked what my option were. None. Apparently the chef will not deviate from the stated menu. Gosh, I hate that, and I think it's the height of arrogance on their part. If I am paying for a meal and I don't want that part of it, and you have other food offered, what is the problem with changing the sauce, or giving me something else? So, I had the spaghetti. When my plate arrived, it was beautiful. The veal was some of the best I've ever eaten, and the spaghetti sauce was perfect, meaty and a lot of flavor. There was also one helf of a roasted carrot on my plate which I thought odd, but being a carrot fan, I ate it, and it was good. The entire plate was baked prior to service, which melted all the cheese on top of the veal and pasta to perfection. My mouth waters thinking about it!

My DH ordered a parmeasan crusted halibut, which was also served with the previously mentioned carrot, and potatoes. The halibut was quite thick and came with a lemon sauce which was very flavorful. The fish was lust a little overcooked, so somewhat dry. Good thing the sauce was there. DH also ate half of my veal, which was far better than the fish, IMO.

Neither of us ordered a salad, as they are a la carte and we felt that we would already have plenty of food, which was accurate. The bread that came before our meals were served was quite good, and was served with a strange white bean kind of paste that wasn't unpleasant, nor good. It just was.

Dessert was lovely...my DH loves rice pudding and so chose that. It was warm and creamy, and the rice was the tiniest bit undercooked. I ordered vanilla custard pillows delicately deep fried with chocolate and raspberry sauce. It was delicious, and because the pasta was so filling, I had a tough time enjoying it.

The atmosphere is kind of old world Italian...lots of interesting things on the walls, hanging birds, baskets, Pinnochio, wall art...red table cloths over red and white checked vinyl tablecovers. It wasbusy and comfortable without being cloying, upscale without being snobbish. A nice couples atmosphere.

We really enjoyed the food, and as I said, Heather was great. The total for this meal, with one glass of wine and 2 coctails? $100, but it was truly a $100 experience. The chef needs to lighten up and let patrons have a litle latitude with their order, and the weird bean spread is...weird..(.but they do have oil and also butter if one prefers) and I will definitely return on my next trip to the area.

1  Thank SonriseBMD