“Really really good”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Marquette
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Marquette
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 June 2017

Check in service was excellent. Check out service was excellent. Every time we went by the front desk or passed an employee in the hall we were greeted. Lots of customer service training.

We checked in about 3pm and got the last room which was a suite. TV, beds, bathroom, furniture, cleanliness, and furnishing were excellent. Very new. Come to find out they remodeled 2 years ago. We paid more for the suite but it was worth the price.

Okay, the elevator is slow, but that is not a complaint...an inconvenience.

The free breakfast was fine. Reasonable selection.

Great location, just west of Marquette on US 41. Highly recommended and we would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for supper recommendations...they know the small town sites
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Delmar M
Johnathon N, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Marquette, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2017

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. I was delighted to read your comments regarding our hotel and staff. It's definitely a boost for us any time we get a review such as this one. I really appreciate your kind words. We look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 22 June 2017

I had previously stayed at this hotel 5 or 6 years ago and found it to be a charming hotel with everything that I needed. Hoping to repeat this experience, I booked a room for our family vacation, but was very disappointed. On arrival the first day, we were told we were too early and needed to leave and go find something to do and come back later (it was well into the afternoon). Our stay didn't get much better. While we were there the drain broke in the sink one evening so the water couldn't drain out. It was 8 pm at night so we knew no one would come fix it. We told the check out person the next day and she told us that was basically our fault because they supposedly have someone on staff 24 hours a day to fix things and we should have called them. The fact that it was 8 pm and we were too tired to wait for a plumber to deal with it wasn't really a factor apparently. The drain in the bathtub was so slow that you had several inches of standing water whenever you tried to take a shower. Breakfast was terrible. They offered something that looked like scrambled eggs, bacon bits and tortillas. Fruit consisted of apples. There was coffee and tea but no hot cocoa. We ended up going to the local grocery store on the hill so that we could get something we could eat for breakfast. We left after two days and when arriving at home I got a survey asking how our stay was. I filled it out as honestly as possible and got an e-mail for my response which gave me the impression the hotel manager was less than pleased with our suggestions for improvement. They were particularly upset that I criticized the breakfast, saying their new breakfast was "global" and they were trying new things so apparently people shouldn't complain about it. We stayed at many hotels in different hotel chains during this vacation and I can say without hesitation that we will never stay in this hotel again, and will probably never stay in another Country Inns and Suites if this is what our future experiences will be like. I'm really disappointed because it used to be one of the most reliable, value oriented hotels you could find, but not so much anymore.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Johnathon N, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Marquette, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize for the dissatisfaction of your stay. We do take the time to listen to your constructive comments so we can continually improve our services. I am so sorry that you felt we were placing blame on you for anything that happened during your stay. It certainly was not our intention to make you feel like anything was your fault because it was not.
Also, we did appreciate all the feedback you gave in the survey you previously filled out for us. It's always nice when guests take the time to provide feedback, and I am sorry if you felt our response did not properly express our gratitude. In regards to breakfast we are trying out some new menu items. I see that the breakfast burrito was not appealing to you and I am sorry to hear that but I appreciate that you have let us know. This feedback helps us in deciding whether or not we should be keeping this particular item on the menu.
I know that this apology is by no means a solution for the experience you had with us, but I do hope you will reconsider and give us another opportunity in future.

Should you have any concerns during or after your stay, please reach out to any of our employees directly at anytime.

Reviewed 21 June 2017

I give the country inn three C's- clean,comfy, and cushy. The pillows and mattresses were better than at most chains and we slept very well after a 13-hour drive. We arrived without reservations, which I do not recommend, only because we didn't know for sure if we would make the entire 13 hour drive from our home in one day or not. We did, and were able to get one of the very last rooms on the weekend. It was fine as we wound up at the end of the hallway on the third floor. Check in clerk was very polite, profesional, and helpful. Breakfast guy, however, needed to move a litlle faster. He may have been new for the summer but on a weekend morning when 30-40 people are trying to eat breakfast at the same time, the hot foods have to be constantly refilled. It was really discouraging to lift the lids and have no fried potatoes or scrambled eggs at all the entire time I was in the breakfast area. A muffin, juice and cereal does not constitute a hot breakfast. That cost this review one star as I was really disappointed. The only other thing I would change would be to to but some parking bumpers along the front of the parking lot. If a car ever slipped out of gear it would take a long nosedive down the hill and onto hwy M41.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Paul S

Thank your for taking the time to provide us with some feedback regarding your stay. I am so happy we were able to provide you with a comfortable room after that long drive.
However, we are sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with the “Be Our Guest” Breakfast. We work hard to ensure fresh food is provided and that each item is available for all of our guests. Your review gives us the opportunity to correct any deficiencies we may have in our service. We hope you will give us another chance if you are in the area again.

Reviewed 19 June 2017

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Country Inns & Suites By Carlson
1  Thank M4025DObarbarad
Johnathon N, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Marquette, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2017

Reviewed 18 June 2017

The staff was pleasant , professional and accommodating. Our room was comfortable, clean , air conditioner worked and effective. Bathroom was clean, shower and plumbing in good working order. Breakfast included a wide variety and staff was busy making sure items were replenished as needed. Coffee was available 24/7 . Our room was right next to the elevator and we never heard any noise - we were on the 3rd floor. Overall we enjoyed our stay , would not hesitate to return in the future.

Stayed: June 2017

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your experience at our hotel. I really enjoyed reading all the wonderful things you had to say about your stay. I really appreciate all your kind words. We look forward to your next stay.