All reviews summer house mackinac bridge manor house stone cliff sunset rock main mansion beautiful mansion back porch woods restaurant chop house carriage ride off the beaten path horse drawn taxi downtown area per person away from the hustle and bustle rented bikes
Reviewed 21 September 2016

We love the Inn at Stonecliffe. We were married there and returned this year for our anniversary. We enjoyed our return trip because we were able to really relax and enjoy all the inn has to offer. We had a room in the mansion that looked out at the bridge. It was a beautiful room. Because we visited in mid June the weather was comfortable which made the lack of air conditioning not an issue. The breakfast is wonderful. Lots of choices for a variety of tastes. Each morning brought something new to the offerings along with the usual eggs, sausage, etc. We loved getting a drink and just sitting on the back patio to enjoy the view or sunset. It is a ways from town, but that is what we love about it. This time we brought our bikes and enjoyed exploring the upper part of the island. Our bags were taken care of by the dock porter and delivered to the inn, so we didn't need to worry about hauling them ourselves. The staff was great and very helpful. We appreciated the little touches for our anniversary celebration. We will definitely return in the future.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2016

Worst vacation ever. Entire staff was rude and not helpful at all, from the ferry lines that transport you to the island to the bell boys who work for the hotel everyone acted like they were put out. Star ferry line would not let us on the 5pm shuttle to the island after we were stuck in traffic for 2.5 hours because of the Labor Day bridge walk and MDOT had all northbound lanes down to one lane. The next ferry was supposed to leave at 6pm and of course it was a half hour late. Finally get to the island and we were supposed to have the carriage company pick us up downtown, this was included in the room charge. Bell boy informed us the carriage stopped running and we had to pay for a taxi. After waited almost an hour we were fed up and walked to the hotel 2 miles with luggage. My wife unloaded on the front desk staff and they didn't do anything for us. Dinner was good and the waitress was excellent, and the room was nice. Breakfast was not good, some type of egg substitute which were cold, coffee was weak and orange juice was crap. Not to mention the maid gave us all decaf coffee the morning we checked out. You name it and it went wrong, when we checked out two bell boys were sitting on the front steps of the hotel texted and showing pictures on there cell phones. I had to kick to door open with my foot because I had luggage in my hands. Ferry leaving island 40mins late. When you spend $420.00 a night you except some service. Place smells like HS. Never again will we go to this hotel or Mackinac Island.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel or Mackinac Island
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2016

I went here this past week with my boyfriend for a little get away with my boyfriend....The place is simply gorgeous inside and out. We were on the 3rd floor in the Islander room, which was nice, clean and very spacious. They have done a very nice job of maintaining some of the history of the place while also adding some modern flair to keep it classy.

For food, we ate breakfast at the hotel...a very nice selection for a continental breakfast...food was prepared well and presented nicely.
The Woods restaurant is right next door, fairly upscale, pricey and food was average, but the environment is outstanding and worth the visit. I will return as we agreed that the food we received was probably just bad timing and assume it is usually better.
All of our other meals we ate at a variety of different places in town which is about a 10 minute or so bike ride that is beautiful.
Bartender James was a great guy with a fantastic personality. All other staff were incredibly friendly and accommodating as well.

A must see is the trails at the back end of the property lead you to look out point, which offer unbelievable views, day or night, both are just gorgeous!

We will be returning to the mansion. this was my 4th stay on the island and this was my favorite place to stay so far (including The Grand Hotel, which was nice too, I just loved every second at the The Inn at Stonecliff)

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2016 via mobile

I am writing this review for my parents that are not phone techy! They stayed for two nights for 71st birthday. From the time they arrived until they left it was a very good experience! They stayed in the summer house. The pool was open and 72 outside the guys enjoyed a nice relaxing swim it was like there own private pool and water was so clear and clean like being somewhere exotic!. When they stayed way up there they had a truly feel of being on an island and the employees were there to make sure the four people had the best experience. They had a tour of the grounds so much to see and enjoy the beautiful grounds . My dad had his birthday while staying there and my sisters and I couldn't be there so I made a phone call to see if they could make a cake for my dad. They made a cake with fudge melted down as frosting and a few of the employees came out and sang to him. The kitchen staff were busy with wedding meals and other guests dinners and setting up for all the wedding events but they took 5 min out to honor his 71 st birthday! This made my dads birthday and made one of his favorite birthdays.
I would suggest this place to stay over any place on the island if you need a nice relaxing getaway. Remember your on an island with no cars the carriage ride to town is 20-30 min but the moment you step on that carriage ride you feel like someone special out for a enjoyable ride so sit back and relax and look at all the marvelous gardens and Victorian houses and you might even get a little history lesson about some of the old places. It is a few miles from downtown of the hustle and bustle it is nice to be able to get away and relax up there!
I will keep recommending this place to all my friends.
Thanks for making my dad a happy birthday boy!

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 September 2016

The Inn was very romantic, a carriage ride set the atmosphere, the room was well appointed. However, we stayed early September, and although we knew there was no air conditioning, expected the room to be cool at night with the ceiling fan on and windows open. We were VERY warm, and as it is an older house, we could hear every door open,every footfall in the hall, and every conversation between the valet and the carriage drivers who delivered guests quite late at night. We considered it a good deal, as we purchased a package that included round trip ferry, round trip carriage ride, dinner, breakfast, champagne and strawberries in room, and 1/2 pound of fudge. We would stay again, but buy our dinner elsewhere.

Stayed: September 2016