“Not well maintained - not coming back”

TownePlace Suites Kalamazoo
Ranked #6 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Reviewed 18 January 2012

So I stayed here on a business trip once before and was satisfied so I made a return trip only to find that their standards have gone downhill.

Poor housekeeping - hairs all over the bathroom

Maintenance in need - both the tub and the sink were backed up and took forever to drain, ever heard of Drano??? or Liquid Plumber???!!! How does someone in housekeeping not notice this? Also the water feels very slimy as if they need to add water softener. Anyone who regularly works in housekeeping should notice this if they're actually doing their job - which they're NOT!

Amenities - No wireless internet in the rooms.

Overall - still a newer hotel than the other Marriott properties in Kalamazoo but very disappointing, next time I will stay in Grand Rapids and do the daily drive to my meetings.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank MIbusinesstraveler

Reviewed 2 January 2012

We came down here for new years eve. True that Kalamazoo doesn't have much to offer when it comes to attractions but because of this hotel it made this trip worth while. Were a family of six and our suite fit us pretty decently. It was kind of small but good enough for us. Every inch in this hotel is super clean and very organized. The service from all the staff was phenomenal. However, I need to mention the great great service from the hotel manager Gary Sabbagh. This man is by far one of the best hotel managers I have ever seen. We had an incident on our second day at the hotel, were we had some issues with the bathroom. So we called down and I talked to a guy named marcus. They weren't able to fix the issue because their repair man was out of town. So he called Gary and said that they would give us the key to the room next to us so we can use its bathroom. Also, They dropped the rate for us down from $129 to $69. We ended up staying an extra night because of the weather so they switched us to another room and kept it at the same rate. We truly thank the staff and Gary for there wonderful service and I really recommend this hotel for any person looking to stay in that area.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank almosawi11
Reviewed 6 December 2011

I stayed here on a business trip funded by the place I was interviewing with. They booked a suite for me and it was very spacious and modern. There was a full kitchen, complete with a dishwasher for the in house plates, cups, and silverware, a living area, separate bath, and separate bedroom. I was pretty impressed. The neighborhood was typical with the I-94 only seconds away and it seemed like a safe place to stay. After a snafu with the company I had been brought in by- my credit card had been charged for the room instead of the company being billed directly- the manager, Gary, straightened out the problem right away and I had a receipt confirming the chargeback within an hour. I would highly recommend this hotel for business travelers or those with extended stays.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 November 2011

My two kids and I stayed here a few days ago for a repeat visit. The hotel is still in good condition, has a friendly desk staff, and is a good price for families with children. A small but sufficient pool is available, ample parking, and nicely appointed modern rooms. The breakfast is free and the location is right off of the freeway which makes for easy sightseeing/visits. It is definitely worth paying a few dollars extra for the largest queen suite.

Room Tip: Great family spot-- pay up for a larger suite...it is a few dollars more and very worth it!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 November 2011

Normally we fly to Chicago or drive the distance. On this occasion we were looking for someplace to stay half way as we had a late start. Chose this property on tripadvisor reviews because it had no bad reviews. katgreen hit it right on the head with her review. Not a bad place but nothing great. We had to go back down to the desk and argue for linen for the sofabed, even though our daughter was listed as a third person in our reservation. The place wasn't dirty, but it wasn't really clean either. There was a large stain visible on the bed throw, and numerous scrapes and dents on the walls in the hallway and the room.....starting to show some hard use. The elevator was cranky, noisy and really slow. No toilet seat cover and the toilet was stained. With the sofa bed open you couldn't walk around the bed. Not a very spacious suite. There didn't seem to be any attention to detail. We've traveled the world and use tripadvisor extensively when booking accommodations......our first disappointment. Was it just ok? yes. Was it great? no

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family