“People remember you”

Reviewed 12 October 2017

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Country Inns & Suites By Carlson
Reviewed 2 October 2017

Former Yooper returning to Iron Mountain for my nieces wedding. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The room and public areas were clean, but could use some updating.

Due to the tight schedule of the events, we left the room in "Do Not Disturb" mode so cannot rate the housekeeping service, but when we checked in the room was very clean and in order.

The breakfast area is "cozy" but most of the time (except on the weekend) it is adequate and the breakfast offered is good.

We have stayed at other motels in Iron Mountain over the years and would rate this as the best in town.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Angie G, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Iron Mountain, MI, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

Thank you so much for the awesome review. We are so happy that you enjoyed your trip back to the U.P. We hope if you come back to visit again, you will choose to stay with us and hopefully you will get to see some of our updates that we have in store for the hotel.

Reviewed 22 September 2017

I had to travel back to my hometown for a funeral, and the hotel was nice enough to give me and all my family members a small "funeral" discount, and I stayed for 5 nights, so it added up. I enjoyed my stay and have very few complaints, and I'm a seasoned, world-wide traveler, and can be pretty picky.

However, I was pretty happy with my stay there, and can bring up only 3 things that were slightly frustrating. #1: there is one elevator for this hotel, and it is probably the slowest one I've ever been on, and it is always busy. Staff and guests both use it, and at certain times of the day you can be sitting there for awhile waiting for it. The hotel was nice enough to but easy-chairs outside the elevator doors, and now I know why. And whoever designed the hotel needs to go back to architecture school, because if I decided to take the stairs.....well, the stair from the lobby go to the middle of the 2nd floor, and stop. Then, you have to walk all the way down the hall to the emergency stairs to go up to the 3rd floor. And this is a very long hotel.

#2: I loved my room, the bed, the sheets and pillows, all that way great. But I have no idea why the #1 rated hotel in Iron Mountain uses bath towels/hand towels that are so cheap and rough, you feel like you are drying off with an exfoliating cloth. They almost feel like burlap! Maybe I am spoiled, I went to Ross and bought some nice bath towels that are thick and comfortable and a joy to use, and have trouble understanding why a hotel that charges over $100 a night can't buy some nice ones. My total bill for 2 rooms, for the 5 days was over $800, and it would have been nice to have some nicer towels that didn't scrub the skin off my face, lol.

#3: There is limited parking in the front and back, most of it seems reserved for handicapped people. I parked in the back once, and was surprised to see that I was unable to get into the building from the back parking area! There was a door there, but it was an "emergency exit" for the small swimming pool room! Would it kill them to put a "card reader" door back there? Again, I had to walk all the way from the middle of the building to the side door to get carded in, then walk all the way down the hall to the lobby, directly in front of where I parked my car.

One other tip: when we checked in, we were met by a nice check-in clerk, but he had the worst-fitting suit I'd seen on a guy, other than David Byrne from Talking Heads. Dude, I know he lives in Iron Mountain, but a proper fitting suit can be bought at Wal-Mart across the street. He looked ridiculous in that huge jacket; the sleeves went way past his wrists.

Not much scenery or views from the hotel, which is sad. In the front-facing rooms, you get to see the highway and the ugly shopping center across it. On the back side, you get to see the side of the hill they cut away to build the place. All the beautiful land and views up there in the UP, and they built it in a very ugly place. The other hotels (Holiday Inn) are on the other side of town, which is a lot more scenic and quiet.

Anyway, these are all kind of minor complaints, not deal breakers for a night or two. But after 5 nights, the elevator and parking in the back thing was getting old.

Good breakfast; lots of food and drinks, which is surprising these days. At one point though, too many people showed up and there was no room to sit, so a couple of us had to carry our chow down the hall to the conference room and eat there.

Room Tip: Bring your own towels
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Angie G, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Iron Mountain, MI, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2017

I am sorry that you were disappointed in our towels, our elevator, our parking and the regulated uniforms that the front desk staff are required to wear. At this time, I think the only thing that we have control over is the towels. I do not believe it is because the towels are cheap, but rather the new company that we recently switched over to for laundry products. The products are supposed to make our towels and sheets whiter while not using any harsh chemicals. I also noticed after switching over that the towels are not as fluffy. Perhaps when our contract is up, we will be switching back to the company that we used to use.
I do agree with you, that the design of the stairway could have been thought out more, however I do not see that changing in the near future.
I hope that the rest of your experience at our hotel was enjoyable and that if you are in the area again, you will consider giving us another try. Maybe you will be one of the ones that gets a front parking spot.

Reviewed 19 September 2017

Most of the Country Inn & Suites properties we have visited over the years have been among our favorites - especially for the price. This one is no exception. The staff is great; the facilities are well-designed, well-appointed, quiet and comfortable; the breakfast is plentiful and fresh; and the atmosphere is quite home-like. I did ding my rating just a little because the curtains and the air/heat units are showing some signs of age, but are certainly serviceable. One feature I especially like is that the door to each room is an insulated exterior door with a fixed sill and bottom skirt that does a good job of excluding hallway noise from the room. Also, the bathroom is spacious, well-lighted and has excellent sound isolation. Rooms are equipped with a small refrigerator and microwave - but the morning breakfast has enough choices that most guests should find little reason to use them.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Angie G, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Iron Mountain, MI, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2017

We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are going to be upgrading our guest rooms beginning in the spring, so I hope you will stay with us again and be able to experience the new look. Lots of changes will be occurring in the next year or two!