“Warm and friendly”

Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Holland
Farmington Hills, Michigan
“Warm and friendly”
Reviewed 1 January 2012

We have stayed here at least 3 times over the last 5 years. We stay over Christmas when we are visiting family in the area. The lobby is warm and welcoming, and the staff is always super friendly. The price is right and the rooms are very adequate. The beds are above average - we've had worse but they really aren't bad. The breakfast is minimal, but it just holds us over until Christmas brunch. The pool is tiny, but gives the kids something else to do on our little trip. What makes this place? The staff is so warm and welcoming, the cookies and the lending library.

Room Tip: We have had connecting rooms in the past, but did not this trip.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank arbie88
CountryInnHolland, General Manager at Country Inn By Carlson, Holland, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Thank You so much for your comments on January 1, 2012. I was so glad to hear about my staff and what you enjoyed about your stay with us. With our upcoming renovations we know the next time you come you will be more impressed.

We hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Lombard, Illinois
Reviewed 29 November 2011

We stayed here when we went to the Groove Walk in Holland. It was an ok hotel. Pool was nice for Friday night. The breakfast in the morning was not very good. We had breakfast on Saturday Morning but decided to skip it on Sunday Morning. It was in a weird location, behind an old or currently being revamped mall. There was not one car in the mall but there is the hotel all the way in the rear. The front desk was nice and cab service brought us to downtown holland cheaply (about 10 bucks each way, that includes tip.) I would probably try to stay closer to Holland in the future or if they ever get the mall a going it might be better.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. We understand the "weird location" as the entire Town Center is starting to revitalize with new business' signing leases. We hope to see the area grow again.

Our hotel will also begin renovating in a couple of months, including our breakfast area. This will allow us to implement the "Be Our Guest Breakfast' that Country Inns & Suites are known for. So, we hope that you will visit us again and enjoy the beauty of Holland!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 10 November 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for one night, and I am glad it was only one! We pre-paid for our room prior to our stay. Upon check in my husband asked if we could pay the upgrade price to be moved into a Jacuzzi suite. The front desk agent was very rude and abrupt at telling us that since we pre-paid for our reservation through a third party, we would not be able to have that room type. I have worked in hospitality for eight and a half years, at several different hotels, with several different operating systems. Each one has a way of using a personal credit card to charge for an upgrade. The Jacuzzi would have been really nice since we had been driving all day and returned to the hotel after the pool had closed. Secondly, we walked into our room and it smelled like wet dog. I didn’t want to have air freshener sprayed in the room since I am allergic to most. We ended up just opening the windows. I pulled back the covers on the bed to take a nap just to find black hairs all over the sheets. I sat down on the bed to change my shoes and the bottoms of my socks were completely black. We were in room 101 so there was a door to go outside right across from our door. Every time some one walk in, or out the door to the outside would slam and rattle things inside our room. We ended up just staying at a friend’s house because I was so grossed out by the hairs in the bed, the floor, and not to mention the bathroom had mold in the grout with hairs on the floor. The smell in the room was also making me sick to me stomach.

I will admit I have always been a Hilton girl since I have worked for them for 7 years and normally stay at the Doubletree in Holland (we love it there!!!) but my husband’s parents have stayed at this property several times since both my husband and sister –in –law attended Hope collage. They were the ones who recommended we try this property since the rates tend to be a bit lower, and now I can see why. The service is lacking, and cleanliness was no where to be found. If you don’t mind hairs in the bed, socks turning black, banging doors constantly, the ever present dog smell, and the poor service : this is the place for you

Room Tip: do not stay by room 101 it is really loud
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank ajoysinging

Travellers are raving about these Holland hotels

Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Room 238 just above the lobby was our room. You hear everything from that room, front door opening and closing, loud tv coming from the lobby by the cozy fireplace. Sleeping was not an option. I guess that's the price I pay for being cheap. Never again, I'd rather sleep in my car.

Room Tip: I did not get a choice.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Joeliezer V
Nottingham
Reviewed 10 October 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights last week at the end of our road trip around Michigan. Front desk staff were friendly and very helpful in recommending places to eat. Front lobby is very clean and nicely laid out. Corridors are dark, and looking a tad shabby. Our room on the ground floor was big enough to accomodate 2 double beds and a rollway bed. Beds were comfortable, bathroom rather small. We used the small pool once, and found it clean, and for a virtually non swimmer like myself, safe to use. We did not breakfast at the hotel. Constant free coffee in the lobby which was nice. I would be happy to use this hotel again if I was in the area.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends