All reviews the wood fired pizza under new ownership the king size bed wonderful stay holiday inn express indoor pool snowmobile
Reviewed 8 July 2017 via mobile

Best priced hotel in town but price isn't everything. This is an old hotel that used to be a Holiday Inn and it's in need of updating throughout. They have made attempts to do some updating such as bathroom floors, paint, Etc. Much of the hotel is quite a relic from the past. The pool is actually quite nice and has a good size hot tub and a sauna. Rooms are generally clean although we did find that one of our bed sheets had some debris on it, including a hair. It probably just wasn't washed properly. They did bring us up a new set of sheets after repeated calls. The rooms are good size, and the beds are comfortable. There's also a refrigerator freezer in the room. Although the price was cheaper on Expedia by around $50, still the hotel room at $103 was a bit pricey for the condition and age of the place. If you're just looking for a cheaper place to stay overnight it's really ok and the pool is probably the best part of the hotel. The Holiday Inn Express down the street wanted $200 a night plus tax. That is outrageous for a Holiday Inn Express no matter how nice it is.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Shannon M, Manager at American Alpine Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2017

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We are doing our best to get the updates needed as quickly as possible. I hope you like the renovations we have made thus far. The staff are diligently working to get things done as quickly as possible but in a quality manor. I hope you will choose to stay with us again sometime.

Reviewed 5 July 2017

I didn't read any reviews on this hotel until after I booked it. Then I got a little worried based on all the bad reviews. This hotel wasn't anything special but it wasn't horrible either. The room was clean but the hallways needed vacuuming. The furniture and bedspreads were outdated but not dirty and I didn't find any bugs. This hotel is obviously old and in desperate need of lots of updating and TLC but we gave it a chance. The best part was the pool, hot tub and sauna! The staff was friendly. The breakfast was okay but there were so many people there when we were there that they kept running low of food. The room had a coffee maker, hair dryer, iron, good air conditioning, mini fridge, microwave and comfortable beds. The pillows were really squishy though! It wasn't horrible to stay at like so many have commented. My hubby was happy with the price and my daughter was happy with the pool and small play area.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Shannon M, Manager at American Alpine Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We have been working diligently on renovations. It is difficult when there are so many things that need to be done but rest assured our customer satisfaction is our priority. I'm glad you were able to enjoy the pool and hot tub while you were here. We hope to see you back in the future.

Reviewed 2 July 2017

We have to run up north every few weeks for some business as we are building a vacation home, so we just need some place to crash. We get up north late at night after a full day's work and then are out early the next morning.

Like several places in the Grayling/Gaylord area, this place could use an upgrade. It had a bed, but the bedspread was pretty nasty. The shower/tub combo had several rust spots and the sink needed a good snake to get some drainage going. The room also had a chair that would be used around a dinner table and a pretty old coffee table pushed against a wall as "their furniture." However, the king size bed was fairly comfortable.

I doubt my wife would ok another stay here, but for $53 you really can't go wrong.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Shannon M, Manager at American Alpine Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2017

Thank you for staying with us. We value your input and your issues have been addressed. We are in the process of getting new furniture and replacing the linens. We are also in the process of refinishing the tubs. We hope you will choose us again for your next stay in Gaylord.

Reviewed 25 June 2017

I made my reservation in February for a June stay and this hotel had changed name and owners when I arrived. Apparently in that changeover the refridgerators and microwaves were removed from the rooms and I see on their new site they are available on request. But when I arrived I was told, they didn't have refridgerators, but I could get a microwave. They blamed it on Hotels.com, wrong room description. Oh-Kay.
Here are a few odd things, the safe was just sitting on the padded bench in our closet. I guess that would keep your objects safe if the thief didn't have arms to carry it out of the room.
The coffee pot was on its little tray, nowhere near a plug. A long bare spot on the wall had an open plug and a cable line with the wall plate ripped out due to the line being too stretched. I would imagine you must set your coffee pot on the floor by that plug, WHERE THE FRIDGE PROBABLY USED TO BE!
The AC/heater was missing a knob, they brought that within the hour.
The bathroom had mold on the ceiling, not one little spot, the entire ceiling above the shower. We pointed this out and they were kind enough to spray paint over it while we were out.
All of the channels were snowy except 2. The ice machine upstairs was broken. The doorway to the stairs was so filthy with dirt I used my forearms to open it every time we went up and down the stairs for ice. You must use this door, no elevators here.
Our drain in the shower was super slow. The toilet needed to be flushed 2-3 times to empty properly.
It might sound uppity, but the staff, as nice as they were, looked like they had just walked in from the street. I don't think I saw a single name tag or distinguishing attire on anyone working there. Jeans and T-shirts seemed to be the dress code.
The gym is not open until 9am and you need a key from the front desk, sorry I ran outside, who works out after 9?
The pool was cold, but clean. The morning after our arrival it was still locked up tight at 9:30am with the same dirty towel bin over-flowing with towels. Open 9-11 though. Hmm.
Breakfast was ok. 2 hot items everyday and a waffle iron. Bulk container yogurt and some apples, bagels and cereal.
Don't expect to find any tea bags or good coffee. Or a working toaster.
So they are new owners and I get that you don't have the money or ability to close down for an overhaul, but come on, Walmart is right down the road and a toaster is $18.00! Mini fridge, $59.00. Seriously sad, but at least the linens were clean. The hot tub and sauna was the only real redeeming quality.
I have never written a review before in all of my 15 years of hotel and timeshare travel. But this is definitely not a get what you pay for scenario.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 June 2017 via mobile

I would NOT recommend anyone to stay here. If you can avoid it, go somewhere else. My mother in law and I were passing thru Gaylord and needed a place to stay and this was the only place available. First off, for $140 this is what we got: The smell is indescribable.. really musty with a hint of coconut. Our room had stains all over- carpets and the bench you sat on when you first entered the room. No toilet paper holder and the bathtub- forget it. You are absolutely NOT getting in that shower. A couple of black bugs came out of the air conditioner when we turned it on. There was no remote for the tv and when it did arrive, there was no back to keep the batteries in. The sheets looked as though they were wadded up in a ball before they were put on the bed. And there was a DumDum wrapper beneath our fridge when you opened the door. The two gentlemen who came in to program our remote at 11 pm - one of them did not even work at the hotel. They had said that housekeeping that day just did not even give a damn about the cleanliness of the rooms because the two of them, at 11:30 pm had to go through and clean rooms. They were not even housekeepers and like I said, the one boy wasn't even an employee. They were great though. The two of them were about the only good thing. It seems as though they are undergoing some changes to the building- but that has nothing to do with the housekeeping staff. They apparently do NOT give a damn about the condition of the room for guests- but did hope we enjoyed our stay. Unbelievable.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends