“Good BBQ!”

Ranked #14 of 1,256 Restaurants in Detroit
Price range: US$0 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 12 September 2018 via mobile

We stopped in for lunch. Tried the pulled chicken an pork. Both very tasty with several sauces on the table to try. Green beans a little spice for me but companion loved them. Sweet potatoes were good too. Wish everything wasn’t ala carte tho.

1  Thank elainec461
Write a ReviewReviews (1,804)

Reviewed 10 September 2018 via mobile

A friend of mine recommended Slows BBQ and am I glad my group went! Slows has a wide variety of barbecue entrees, with 6 different sauce flavors to suit your tastes. If you like craft beer, you won't be disappointed here as there are lots of choices of those too. With Slows being so popular it's been featured on the Travel Channel, it gets very crowded, so make your reservation on its website in advance so that you too can taste some of the best barbecue around.

Reviewed 6 September 2018

Being a southerner, pride in barbecue is pretty high on the list. Since moving to Michigan a couple years ago, I have been missing a good pork barbecue with a mustard based sauce. Having enjoyed my first taste last week, I am making new memories here in Michigan. Their South Carolina mustard BBQ sauce is second to none in my book. The Mac 'n Cheese is really good as well. Being a frugal southern grandma, I used the left-over meat I had and made Brunswick Stew. Winter will be more bearable with pork on the menu!

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 6 September 2018 via mobile

They food here is good but the prices are high. The wait time is long. The amount of wings we got for the price was ridiculous

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed 4 September 2018

I have mixed thoughts about this place. Parking is a bit difficult to figure out. We parked in a lot that no longer charges a fee but did in the past. It is not marked one way or another so that was a bit unsettling.

This is an established restaurant with a core following. It felt “familiar” which is always nice. We had a short wait once we arrived so opted to have a drink at the bar. The adult beverages offered should please most. They offer craft beers and are focused on rye and whiskey drinks for anyone looking for stronger offerings.

It was extremely hot outside on the day that we visited. We were offered to sit in a booth or a table. My 91-year-old mom typically prefers booths but ours was uncomfortable. There was not a good way to sit against the backrest and there was no overhead fan to circulate air in our area. My mom became so overheated that my sister took her outside into the heat to cool off.

Our server was great. Service was both friendly and prompt. Our empty dishes were promptly removed.

Dinner was hit and miss. Everything is ala carte -- including white bread. The ribs were NOT tender despite the menu’s description. I brought them home and cooked them on low heat for another 2 ½ hours to get them to fall off the bone. Regardless, they were very tasty. The waffle fries were excellent. I recommend ordering the fries crispy.

The wings that we ordered as an appetizer were great but pricey – 5 wings for $10. The jambalaya was very good. The green beans that we ordered as a side were canned – ugh. My brisket was also very tasty. The potato salad was very good but the cole slaw tasted sour. I think that they use their mustard sauce as part of the slaw dressing. Neither the potato salad nor the slaw was cold when they hit the table.

Overall, this was a fun place to visit. I’d recommend it but do your homework and ask questions. If it is hot, make sure that you are seated under a fan. If you wear dentures, order the chicken or jambalaya unless a burger sounds better. I’ll return to try one of those soon.