“plenty of charm, but rough around the edges”

Roberts Riverwalk Hotel Detroit
Ranked #24 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Wausau, Wisconsin
“plenty of charm, but rough around the edges”
Reviewed 23 January 2012

We traveled to Detroit for the Auto Show, and didn't want to spend $200 to stay in a hotel while in town. I found Roberts Riverwalk on TripAdvisor, and booked based on the moderate cost and previous reviews. The hotel is within close driving distance to downtown (about 1.5 miles from the Cobo Center.) Parking was accessible in a lot adjacent to the hotel, but a security officer only patrols from 11p-7a. Check-in was simple, but after both key cards didn't open our doors I ventured back downstairs. My interaction, although innocent enough, was jast about the most obnoxious encounter yet. After explaining both cards weren't working, the response I received was- "What do you mean they don't work?" Seems rhetorical enough, but I didn't even feel like answering at the end of our long day. Room was spacious, but carpet/walls/chairs could use a little TLC. Bathroom was very large, and had nice amenities. All in all, it was sufficient for the amount of money we spent.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kimberly G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I found the staff of this hotel to go beyond the call of duty to be helpful. I had reserved my room over one of those sites that you don't know the actual hotel, just the general area. When I registered in the hotel, I found out they had booked a room with a king size bed. Since I was traveling with a friend, I needed two beds. Despite the hotel being sold out, they found a way to get me into a room that was more suitable to my needs. The hotel is very well maintained and clean, clean, clean.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner suite, the view of the Detroit River and Canada is very, very nice.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Southfield, Michigan
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Wonderful, That a simple word to sum up a great experience. We had stayed there when it was the Omni hotel, and the changes were immediatly noticiable. The Staff was one of the most warmest and welcoming, profesional groups that I have encountoured in my travels.

The rooms were clean and well amenitied. 42" flat screen TV , was a bonus. The view of the Freighter going down the river was picturer perfect. We initialy had a standard room then we upgraded to an excutive suite, finally we decided to upgrade to a Penthouse suite and it was a great decision
This Hotel is one of Detroit's hidden Jewels and I would encourage anyone looking for a "Wonderful place to stay. this is it, Free Shuttle to area venues, and here is the "Kicker" , Free parking . (Thanks for the special gift that was left in our room upon arrival) We will be back agin soon (p.s. Thanks Veronica)

Room Tip: Pay extra and get a view of the River
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Montreal
Reviewed 4 January 2012

This hotel is under new management since a few months ago. The location is nice, just out of the downtown core but located straight on the superb Detroit river walk. The hotel itself is nice and professional - totally renovated a few years ago, it is clean and comfortable. The room we had was peaceful and very large. The staff is polite and efficient. The only issue (and it is not a complaint) is that the hotel is fairly isolated, there doesn't seem to be any restaurants or stores nearby so a car is essential. The hotel has a bar and a restaurant but we didn't try them.

If you are looking for a well located, peaceful and clean place, this is a perfect choice.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Brea
Reviewed 28 November 2011

waited in a line of 6 cars for valet,,,there was a guy trying to get us to pay $20 for valet because it was a saturday night when we arrived. After talking to the desk we were allowed to park for free.

The desk person knew how to play the game saying that I was upgraded to a better room but I know it wasnt an upgrade and was exactly what I booked. Put us in a room next to a loud event going on. The lights in the room didnt work, the Direct TV didnt work (Said they been having problems w most channels), just a horrible experience. The rooms are over priced and not even in Downtown

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Raidersh8ter

Travellers are raving about these Detroit hotels