“High-End Hotel, Near Ford HQ”

The Henry, Autograph Collection
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Dearborn
Reviewed 21 January 2013

The Henry is a great choice for a high-end hotel if you want to be close to the Ford Motor Company headquarters, the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village, or other attractions in Detroit. The hotel itself is bright, contemporary, and absolutely saturated with original art work. Original paintings are literally everywhere. The rooms are large, nicely furnished, and extremely comfortable. There is ample workspace, comfortable chairs, and best of all for many business travelers, lots of easily accessible power outlets. If the hotel were located in a nicely landscaped area, a golf course, or otherwise had a blade of grass, this would be considered a really nice resort hotel, with the typical amenities and level of service you expect of high-end hotels. Instead, it essentially is located with a handful of office buildings on the perimeter of the parking lot of a shopping mall. The upside to its location is that it is easily reached from the highway, there is a lot of free surface parking (or valet parking for $15 a night), and is practically adjacent to Ford Motor Company headquarters. I would say it would be an easy walk from the hotel to Ford, but this does not appear to be a pedestrian friendly area (lots of highway, few sidewalks). Although I did not use it, I did see a hotel courtesy car near the valet area, and assume it would be available to take guests to meetings in the area. In summary this is a great hotel if you need to be in Dearborn or in this part of town in general. I give it four rather than five stars mainly because of a few nagging issues, such as the bathroom sink not draining properly and the sheets on the bed not fitting very well and coming loose throughout the night, but would not hesitate to stay here again

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Wedgewood
Emily D, Front Office Supervisor at The Henry, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2013

Thank you for sharing your reflections about your visit to The Henry. You offered some detailed descriptions of our interior design. Although we cannot easily change the physical location of our property, we certainly do hope to make the area more accessible to our guests with a short drive when the hotel car is available. The items of concern in your guest room will be addressed by our management team. Should you have any other reflections please reach out to me.
empendailey@behenry.com

Reviewed 20 January 2013

The Henry Hotel is a former Ritz-Carlton property so immediately you know the building has stylish beauty built into it already. It has heaps or art work all over the place in the lobby and corridors. The decor is that of a 4-5 start place for sure and the price is good value. The bedroom was very nice and the shower water was nice and hot, but what I did not expect as a pleasant surprise was how comfortable the bedding and pillow were. Normally this is where I dock point on many hotels, but not this one. As soon as my head hit the pillow I was OUT! The next day the breakfast buffet was up and running for about 3 hours starting at either 6 or 6:30 am and the quality was top notch. Smoked Salmon and croissants with cream cheese and capers... If you're not into that, then good old fashion bacon, eggs and potatoes were available and french toast with fruit for the kids...or the kid in you! They also had terrific coffee, which again is where most hotels lose points with me, and OJ available on the table. Overall you'll be very pleased with your stay here as the best part are the really polite and helpful staff. I would definitely stay here again. No questions asked. Enjoy!

PS: Did I mention they even have chandeliers in the elevators?!

Room Tip: I'd be surprised if they have any rooms with issues. If you need special assistance, I'm sur...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank James A
Emily D, Front Office Supervisor at The Henry, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2013

James,

Thank you for your review! Your verbiage was a delight: "stylish beauty built in...," "heaps or [of] art," and "or the kid in you" were our favorites. You had some really thoughtful points about breakfast and noticed small details like the elevator chandeliers. We look forward to welcoming you in again soon.

Reviewed 20 January 2013

My wife and I were in town for the Auto show. I'm fairly certain from the parking lot that the hotel was packed, but it did not feel that way at all.

The Henry is clean, elegant, and beautifully decorated. If you can, go see the Presidential Ballroom - it's stunning. They're still renovating and modernizing parts of the hotel that hadn't been updated since it's previous life as a Ritz-Carlton, although we never heard or saw any work or workers. The staff was wonderful and their demeanor and service felt very Ritz-Carlton-y even though it's been a few years since the conversion.

My room was excellent. The mattress was solid, but not hard, and the pillows were soft, but didn't flatten. The bathroom was exceptionally clean, and very well decorated. The provided shampoo was among my favorites I've ever used. The mini-fridge in the room worked VERY well, which surprised me. We had an 8th floor room, and the view after dark was great.

As a Marriott Gold member, I was not offered free breakfast on the weekend (most Marriott's don't provide free breakfast for elites on weekends), but some other reviews had mentioned that they were offered breakfast at The Henry even on weekends. Apparently that's a thing of the past.

Only suggested improvement would be a separate pool for adults only. My wife and I walked in and right back out of the pool area - it's too small and too loud.

All in all, if your options are this hotel or the former Hyatt nearby (Adoba Hotel), pick this.

Definitely my favorite hotel stay in a long time.

Room Tip: Floors 2 + 3 have Disney and Hanna-Barbara themed art - I think they're specifically intended f...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Adam K

Adam,

Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to leave a detailed review of our property.
Frequent Marriott guests such as yourself offer a particularly intimate insight into our property. I am pleased that you and your wife enjoyed your visit. Please know that we will be changing our pool policy and having an adult-only swim hour in the evening. We look forward to welcoming you in again soon.

Reviewed 20 January 2013

Came to Detroit for business purposes. Large room, good bed. Like the overall design and the arts collection on thewalls. Tria bar is fine and staff is very helpful. Wi-fi is not 100% perfect, but OK, could keep it from the room to the lobby, did not have too many cuts (I think one over the stay). My only negative comments would be: cleaning of the room is not 100% (small mirror in bathroom not perfect), safe is small, and breakfast downstairs opens only at 6:30am. The overall location is OK for business depending on where you have to go, but I would not choose it for tourism.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Armand B

Armand,

Thank you for taking the time to share your reflections about your visit to The Henry. Your feedback is an imperative tool for improving. Our management team reviews all comments to ensure that all opportunities to improve are taken.
Please be aware that should you need a safe larger than the in-room safe, they are available for your use at the reception desk.
Should you have any other reflections about your visit please do not hesitate to reach out to me. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 19 January 2013

Stayed here while visiting Detroit for the auto show. It is convenient to the airport, has a great restaurant, and a staff which is possibly the most pleasant we have ever met. No negatives at all. Beautiful artwork throughout adds to the whole experience. When we return, it will be to The Henry.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Susan S

Susan,
Thank you for taking time to share your experience. The NAIAS was fantastic this year! I am pleased that we were able to help make this a great trip for you. We pride ourselves on our impeccable service; I am pleased this is what you experienced. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Emily P Dailey

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dearborn
2.8 km away
5.5 km away
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Dearborn, MI
1.3 km away
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Detroit-Dearborn

Been to The Henry, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!