US$139
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$386
US$359
  • Pool
All reviewsritz carltonart galleryfor salebeautiful hotelthe club loungeon displayupscale hotelself parkingdetroit areagreenfield villageexercise roombed was very comfortablebreakfast buffetshopping mallmarriott propertythe concierge levelnice stay
Reviewed 20 January 2013

The Henry Hotel is a former Ritz-Carlton property so immediately you know the building has stylish beauty built into it already. It has heaps or art work all over the place in the lobby and corridors. The decor is that of a 4-5 start place for sure and the price is good value. The bedroom was very nice and the shower water was nice and hot, but what I did not expect as a pleasant surprise was how comfortable the bedding and pillow were. Normally this is where I dock point on many hotels, but not this one. As soon as my head hit the pillow I was OUT! The next day the breakfast buffet was up and running for about 3 hours starting at either 6 or 6:30 am and the quality was top notch. Smoked Salmon and croissants with cream cheese and capers... If you're not into that, then good old fashion bacon, eggs and potatoes were available and french toast with fruit for the kids...or the kid in you! They also had terrific coffee, which again is where most hotels lose points with me, and OJ available on the table. Overall you'll be very pleased with your stay here as the best part are the really polite and helpful staff. I would definitely stay here again. No questions asked. Enjoy!

PS: Did I mention they even have chandeliers in the elevators?!

Room Tip: I'd be surprised if they have any rooms with issues. If you need special assistance, I'm sure it would be available to you if you asking in advance of arrival.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank James A
Emily D, Front Office Supervisor at The Henry, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2013

James,

Thank you for your review! Your verbiage was a delight: "stylish beauty built in...," "heaps or [of] art," and "or the kid in you" were our favorites. You had some really thoughtful points about breakfast and noticed small details like the elevator chandeliers. We look forward to welcoming you in again soon.

Reviewed 20 January 2013

My wife and I were in town for the Auto show. I'm fairly certain from the parking lot that the hotel was packed, but it did not feel that way at all.

The Henry is clean, elegant, and beautifully decorated. If you can, go see the Presidential Ballroom - it's stunning. They're still renovating and modernizing parts of the hotel that hadn't been updated since it's previous life as a Ritz-Carlton, although we never heard or saw any work or workers. The staff was wonderful and their demeanor and service felt very Ritz-Carlton-y even though it's been a few years since the conversion.

My room was excellent. The mattress was solid, but not hard, and the pillows were soft, but didn't flatten. The bathroom was exceptionally clean, and very well decorated. The provided shampoo was among my favorites I've ever used. The mini-fridge in the room worked VERY well, which surprised me. We had an 8th floor room, and the view after dark was great.

As a Marriott Gold member, I was not offered free breakfast on the weekend (most Marriott's don't provide free breakfast for elites on weekends), but some other reviews had mentioned that they were offered breakfast at The Henry even on weekends. Apparently that's a thing of the past.

Only suggested improvement would be a separate pool for adults only. My wife and I walked in and right back out of the pool area - it's too small and too loud.

All in all, if your options are this hotel or the former Hyatt nearby (Adoba Hotel), pick this.

Definitely my favorite hotel stay in a long time.

Room Tip: Floors 2 + 3 have Disney and Hanna-Barbara themed art - I think they're specifically intended for families. If you don't have kids, get a high floor.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Adam K

Adam,

Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to leave a detailed review of our property.
Frequent Marriott guests such as yourself offer a particularly intimate insight into our property. I am pleased that you and your wife enjoyed your visit. Please know that we will be changing our pool policy and having an adult-only swim hour in the evening. We look forward to welcoming you in again soon.

Reviewed 20 January 2013

Came to Detroit for business purposes. Large room, good bed. Like the overall design and the arts collection on thewalls. Tria bar is fine and staff is very helpful. Wi-fi is not 100% perfect, but OK, could keep it from the room to the lobby, did not have too many cuts (I think one over the stay). My only negative comments would be: cleaning of the room is not 100% (small mirror in bathroom not perfect), safe is small, and breakfast downstairs opens only at 6:30am. The overall location is OK for business depending on where you have to go, but I would not choose it for tourism.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Armand B

Armand,

Thank you for taking the time to share your reflections about your visit to The Henry. Your feedback is an imperative tool for improving. Our management team reviews all comments to ensure that all opportunities to improve are taken.
Please be aware that should you need a safe larger than the in-room safe, they are available for your use at the reception desk.
Should you have any other reflections about your visit please do not hesitate to reach out to me. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 19 January 2013

Stayed here while visiting Detroit for the auto show. It is convenient to the airport, has a great restaurant, and a staff which is possibly the most pleasant we have ever met. No negatives at all. Beautiful artwork throughout adds to the whole experience. When we return, it will be to The Henry.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Susan S

Susan,
Thank you for taking time to share your experience. The NAIAS was fantastic this year! I am pleased that we were able to help make this a great trip for you. We pride ourselves on our impeccable service; I am pleased this is what you experienced. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 17 January 2013

Looking to visit the Detroit Zoo and Detroit Institute of Arts, we were fortunate enough to find a deal here on Hotels.com. The room, lobby, and restaurant were immaculate, as was the indoor swimming pool, an absolute essential feature for my 7 year old. I almost always avoid hotel restaurants, but we were exhausted after a long day at the zoo and decided to risk it. Couldn't have been happier we did. The food was excellent. Especially recommend sharing a couple of the small plates as an appetiser, going for a swim, and coming back for one's entree. Regular room rates are well beyond our budget ($300+ per night) but will certainly be on the lookout for discount deals here in future.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank gibbro

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your visit. I am pleased that your family was able to stay with us for your visit to the zoo and museum. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.