US$244
The Borrowdale Gates Hotel(Grange-in-Borrowdale)
US$312
Bridge Hotel(Buttermere)
US$183
US$158
  • Restaurant
All reviewsriverside barcocktail barthe pubhotel restauranttravelzoo dealthe barnes wallis suitemain restaurantrelaxed atmospherewalkers barhigh standardlake districtone night stayspa bathnice bathroomdining roomopen firecourse dinner
Reviewed 22 April 2018

My son and I have just returned from a lovely stay here. Surrounded by beautiful scenery the Scafell delivers more than its 3 stars suggest. The staff are friendly and professional and completely on the ball when it comes to the restaurant service. The chef too deserves a pat on the back, the breakfast and dinner were outstanding. The bathroom has been recently updated and the free standing bath is the best
I've ever been in, with fast running piping hot water. The surrounding scenery is stunning and it was definitely a bonus that the weather was glorious too We would definitely return here.

Stayed: April 2018
Reviewed 20 April 2018

We were not staying at the hotel but Called in for a drink and meal after a walk near Honister. At bar told we needed to pay for car parking so we said we wouldn’t have the drink and walked out ...? Not much else I can say except never been to a hotel or pub where you had to pay to use car park while having a drink and meal

Room Tip: Didn’t stay
Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Angela M
Reviewed 17 April 2018

Went on a three day Secret Escapes break and couldn't have asked for more, excellent value. Comfortable, clean room with lashings of hot water, delicious food, friendly staff and beautiful walks outside the door. Would definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2018

Had a pleasant stay. The decor was slightly dated, but the facilities, friendly staff and cozy surroundings made up for it. Breakfast was great, and the showers were hot and powerful too. The beds were clean and comfortable and our dog was very happy and comfortable in the room too. In the evenings we sat in the lounge and sat by a lovely fire playing draughts, chatting to others staying or using the internet. The town near the hotel was close and had lots of nice places to eat besides the hotel's bar.
If you staying at the hotel as a walker, however, it can be difficult to find places to hang your wet/muddy gear, but that is the only negative thing I really have to say.
Great place, reasonable and nice people there too. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Smitty F
Reviewed 7 April 2018

The helpfulness and friendliness of the all the staff at the Scafell Hotel is outstanding. It started as soon as we arrived when the receptionist noticed that I was limping badly and asked if we would like to have a room in the Annexe as opposed to upstairs. It was a real bonus during the 3 days we were there not to have to tackle any stairs. The Annexe room was not huge but neverthless lacked not at all in the facilities it offered. Spotlessly clean, comfortable beds, modern bathroom with great shower and a view out over the beck. The only thing I would say is that it's worth bringing a pair of slippers. The slate floor is beautiful, impeccably hygienic but just a little cold to bare feet.
We have been coming to the Lake District regularly in early April since spending our honeymoon here 53 years ago. Normally we are walking the fells every day but this year I need a hip replacement so walking was out of the question. What better substitute than to be able to spend our time right in the heart of the Borrowdale valley. We were grateful for a warm and welcoming lounge as we were destined to spend some time there. We had dinner in the restaurant each night and our 4 course meal started with canapes in the cocktail bar and ended with coffee and petit fours served in the lounge. The menu was not extensive but the chef created delicious food innovatively presented and the waiting staff were delightful. If you plan to have the fine dining experience and are staying more than one night, it is worth noting that the menu does not change so, if you have food restrictions it may be worth trying the Riverside Bar on alternate nights. We were also told that for guests staying more than two nights the chef will consider some menu variation requests so it's worth asking. From a personal point of view, we enjoyed the treat of fine dining each night - it was compensation for not being able to walk!!
Finally, I would like to say that when I read some of the (few) complaints on Trip Advisor about this hotel, I really wonder whether they stayed in the same place as me!!! It is rated as 3 star (for my money it's better than that), why complain about the decor when you have penty of photos to see what it is like (they are accurate and it's in keeping with the building) and as for being woken by sheep at 5am...................give me strength!! What on earth do people expect in countryside?? You won't regret staying here - I'm sure we will be back to test my new hip on the fells.

Stayed: April 2018