“Excellent Seafood Restaurant”

Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: West Street
Reviewed 27 October 2017

The Sole Proprietor is an excellent seafood restaurant that never disappoints.

Three of us recently had a business lunch and dined on the Fishwhich, Mixed Seafood Grill, and Fried Oysters. All were well prepared and presented tastefully.

Service was unhurried (as dictated by our meeting.)

Obviously, one should order seafood at this venue.

I get here about once a year, and have never been disappointed.

Reviewed 26 October 2017 via mobile

My third time to Worcester and every time we eat at The Sole Proprietor our dinner is better then the last time. Really enjoyed sitting at the bar with the locals and being treat extra special when they find out we're from wine country. The oyster selection is hall of fame, great way to start your dinner. We had the salmon and char dishes, each was incredible. I finished off with the ice cream oreo crusted pie, outrageous! Mark and Dave were awesome behind the bar, offering suggestions and answering any questions we had. If you are visiting Worcester do yourself a huuuge favor and visit The Sole Proprietor for dinner. Thank you Mark and Dave, we'll see you next time!!!

Reviewed 24 October 2017

The Sole Proprietor’s lemon caper sole, described as “baked sole fillet with crispy crumbs finished with lemon butter capers, served with rice pilaf and vegetable,” sounded as though it would be delicious. Wrong!

When I asked what was the vegetable, the server responded “squash,” so I asked if there was a vegetable that I could substitute. She named close to, if not, a half dozen vegetables, but she hadn’t offered a choice until I asked.

The watery sole obviously looked, and it tasted, undercooked; the “crispy crumbs” were mushy. After attempting for about five minutes to get any server’s attention, I got the attention of one who sent our server to the table. I told our server that the fish was undercooked, so she returned it to the kitchen. The fish still was undercooked, and it was unrecognizable, when the server returned the plate. The capers had been removed, and the fish, which had been placed over the rice pilaf, appeared to have been placed under a broiler until it had burn marks on it.

After again attempting for about another five minutes to get any server’s attention, our server came to the table. When I told her that I couldn’t eat the meal because the fish still was undercooked, she asked if I wanted something else. My second choice, shrimp scampi served over a minuscule amount of linguini, was flavorful.

For the inconvenience, the restaurant offered me a complimentary take-home dessert. My selection, a chocolate tulip cup, was good.

Despite the complimentary dessert, though, I wouldn’t return to, nor would I recommend, The Sole Proprietor because, for example: By the time that my edible substitute meal arrived, two of the other three in our party had finished their meal. A restaurant that specializes in seafood should know how to cook fish correctly. The service left much to be desired. The restaurant was much too noisy to converse.

4  Thank ReC1982
Reviewed 22 October 2017

We really love when restaurants offer a happy hour. It shows that they want customers in the seats, but can't necessarily afford the regular fancy menu. The happy hour prices and the menu were not that great, but we ordered 2 sushi rolls - a firecracker roll with lobster and a veggie roll.

The bar was very busy but didn't match the rest of the restaurant which seemed very fancy. The service was pretty good and we were hopeful when we received our rolls.

At first glance, they seemed to look ok, but once you take that first bite, one word comes to mind. STALE RICE. The sushi was not fresh and tasted like you got it from the local supermarket, which would have probably been fresher.

The fillings were sparse and flavorless. In this place, even the happy hour is a rip-off. If you invite people into your restaurant, you should put your best food(t) forward.

We will not be back here. After inspecting the bill, our "happy hour" prices were not that happy. $9 for a glass of wine and $7 for a beer!! And the bad food...priceless. (our valued time is worth more)

3  Thank RoundTheWorld1111
Reviewed 20 October 2017 via mobile

Entrees were Excellent, however, the Birthday Cake (pound cake) they served was Very, Very Stale....Ugh!!

1  Thank Jay S