“A gem of a find..dinner before Tanglewood”

Truc Orient Express
Price range: US$8 - US$22
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 August 2016

Wonderful ambience. It appears to be a family business and the attention to diners, the food and the decor is wonderful to experience. If you get there early, you can enjoy the wonderful grounds and all the ceramics. Food was authentic and delicious.

Reviewed 24 August 2016

We have been going to Truc's Orient Express for more than 15 years and it is invariably a special experience. Each of the dishes are carefully prepared with tasty but not overpowering or overly spicy sauces. We do have our favorites like the summer rolls with shrimp and the shaking been as well as the calamari salad and the happy pancakes. My personal favorite is the Ca Chien (a lightly fried fish); although it does take some care to get the meat off of the bone it is certainly worth the effort.

The family who has been managing the restaurant are delightful and friendly. And the adjacent store has some lovely clothes and artifacts from Viet Nam. The seating is comfortable although it can be a bit warm at times. This has been the favorite restaurant in the Berkshires for all 3 generations of our family.

1  Thank Burton G
Reviewed 23 August 2016

My favorite dish is the Happy Pancake. We have always loved this restaurant. All dishes are made to order. I love the family business atmosphere. We locals do support this restaurant and it is not ordinary. We are eating a takeout Happy Pancake and soup as I write this. Took a long time to get it home due to Tanglewood traffic. I prefer to eat in the restaurant but I can say it was still sooo good.

Reviewed 22 August 2016

I have never seen a Vietnamese restaurant anywhere in the world that is as expensive as this restaurant. The portions are really quite small, especially for the approximately $17.00 - 18.00 they charged for a small plate of fried rice. Many of the other dinner entrees with meat were $25-30, which is the most I've seen at a Vietnamese restaurant. However, the menu had a lot of interesting options and plenty of vegetarian choices. The atmosphere was very nice and clean - much nicer than many other Vietnamese restaurants - and the wait staff was very good. There is nothing like it in the area. If you don't mind spending a lot of money for small portions, it is a pleasant restaurant but we left not really feeling full.

Reviewed 21 August 2016

In fairness, it was a Saturday night and the restaurant was crowded. They claimed they were short staffed. However, we waited 40 min. to order our food. The appetizers were mediocre and the entrees were poor. My five-spice chicken was tiny, burned, and left me hungry. They forgot to bring a beer I had ordered (they did give me a free diet coke). My wife found a hair in her food (they did deduct her meal). The dining room was so noisy we could hardly hear. Don't go there unless maybe during the week.

1  Thank mackerel