All reviews target store king studio special thanks great hotel regular shower head large target free shuttle to harvard square an excellent alternative breakfast team front desk living area complimentary parking college students mile radius full kitchen free hot breakfast usb ports
Reviewed 3 April 2018

The front desk staff were friendly and very helpful. In-room, everything was clean and comfortable, with everything you'd expect from a Residence Inn. Bedroom was well laid out, a bit tight around the bed but never awkward or uncomfortable. Living area was large enough to spread out, and the couch was quite comfortable and relaxing.

TV's don't allow HDMI device use properly (there's a delay in any audio from the device), but do allow Netflix use, so no issues with finding things to watch during the stay. Plenty of power outlets everywhere, and the high-speed internet option was well priced and great speed.

I got stuck here during a snowstorm, and had no issues hanging out in the room for the day - and for me that's saying a LOT!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
MarshaW617508, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Watertown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Dear MikeTalonNYC,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your stay. Most of all, thank you for joining us during one of our snowed in weeks! We are glad Spring is here as I'm sure you are. We hope when your travels brings you back to the Boston area you keep us in mind. We would love to have you back.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

First, the hotel building was locked after midnight understandably.

***(keeping us outside too long)
At the glass door, coming from the guest parking area, there was no indication what we should do at the door, but, we saw the tiny metal button, assuming that is the buzzer. We could see the front desk from where we stood and no one was around in the bright lobby. We buzzed the button for several minutes. Still, no one answered our buzz and we started knocking on the glass door in case the staff fell asleep.

Then we watched the female night staff returning to the desk another several minutes later. We waved and knocked the door to grab her attention. Although the desk was only 25-30 ft away, she acted as if we were invisible to her. It appeared that our knocking on the glass door somehow offended her and allows her to think she could keep us out further.

Then, she bizarrely assisted someone who arrived to the lobby from the other side, and, even this guest was looking at us several times, but she would not turn her head to recognize us standing outside all this time. That went for another several minutes. Then she pressed the button as she was done with this guest, and, we finally got in. And, she would not greet me (Asian) but only greet my partner (Caucasian). And, that was all bizarre, and, I expressed how weird her act was.

Then her non-sense excuse was followed ; she was all alone. We did not accept that as a good excuse for what just happened.
Then she added that she thought she was releasing the door unlock button when she returned. But, she knew we were not let inside the building, and, I reminded her that she never looked at our door since she returned. That is the immature attitude issue I have seen before.

She wouldn't admit she didn't handle the situation of the 2 sets of the night guests, and, her attention only went out for the other guest already in the lobby, keeping us out in the cold rainy night for no reason. Any sincere apology could have saved each other's breath instantly. But, she wouldn't.

We saw there was a cleaning staff working behind the counter, and, she knew all along that she was not all alone in the building (for her security fear vs. Our inconvenience) or if that is the issue, maybe the hotel should not leave one female staff alone in the building, and, shouldn't let her tell people she was all alone in the building, as anyone could turn predators from her announcement of “vulnerability.” Soon, she apologized and switched off her stand-offish vibe.

***(Room charged again)
She asked me to show the credit card for the payment. Then, she fully charged the room rate that I already had paid through my booking site- Until I asked her how much she was holding for our stay, thinking it was an incidental deposit card swipe.
She then, realized I had already paid for the room. She apologized but did not explain what mistake she made and what she was going to do to correct her mistake.

***(Accessible Room with None of Accessible feature)
The 3rd issue was equally serious. Although the room was well-decorated (3.5 and clean, colorful) the accessible room we requested had no disabled radius turn to the bathroom, or low shelf or bars and wheelchair accessible sink. It was simply the regular fitted room, with regular height kitchen cabinets and a closet shelf, with a regular bath sink with no handheld shower or no grip bars.

We called and reported this issue to the same staff instantly. She offered to switch the room and asked us to wait, but she did not call back for another 15 min. And, it was already 12:30 am.

***(No Room Switch done after the offer, then insisting to see the room late at night)
I called again and said we would just keep this regular room as we got quite tired, then, she insisted coming up with the indication that she had to "verify" my report of "NO accessibility features" as she believed the room 508 should be, but she didn't come for another 12 min. wasting our time again.

There are lots of basic process she didn't follow and she was quite immature with her judgment and things she said. As she has the good personality, I think this was all the training issues, plus, her controlling personality over the guests has to go immediately, realizing she could not handle anything properly.

***(Felt Lack of Management even the next morning)
The staff training issue and the mis-marked “accessible” room in their check in system are both the management issues and the leaders should take the full responsibility for our inconvenience and disturbance. And, the next morning, the proper apology should have followed on behalf of the series of the incidents we had to encounter.

Instead, the cost of the poor operation was taken out to the guests. They have the good setting of the hotel building, but, they have no protocol for the guest hospitality. That has to change.

When I reported all the glitches we experienced, to the day check-in staff, they understood our complaints, but, they did not say they were aware of the last night's issues, or, they woundn't assure their operation would improve, or, they wouldn't escalate my complaints to the manager of the hotel. Even, one of the staff's apology was said to cut my words short, and, my partner felt offended.

_______________________________
(family-oriented, but poor sofa bed, noisy AC temperature drops to cold air in late March)
However, this hotel could be a safe oasis for the large number of people who bring their cars, with 2-3 children The smaller King Bed room is L-shaped, with Turntable-based TV (270 degree swing), with ample work desk surface.

The sofa bed will be a little disappointment (slightly wider for full size, not quite double) It's still clean, firm, but, once unfolded, it has a cheap noisy spring mesh support with the thinnest ever mattress of at best 2 inches of hollow filling, and, it is not suitable for even a single grownup male, but, it will be suitable for the weight of 1-2 little children. The King bed is great, however, with a medium-Firm or Firm tall mattress and a base.

The temperature of the room was set a 70'F but it can be warm into the night, When I lowered the setting down to 69' or 68', it triggered the heat pump to send literally chilled air. The duct embedded into the room divider blows the wind unnecessarily to the window side of the sleeper on the king bed, and, its sound is quite loud and vibrating, The AC outlet grill should have faced the Kitchen/Desk side to mix the air better and not to disturb the sleepers.
___________________
(Location)
The view from the windows of the guest rooms are either facing the hotel parking, abutted by the affordable housing blocks, and, beyond the guest parking, there is a poorly managed commercial asphalt parking lot of an old shopping mall, and next to the hotel, there is a collapsing structure exposed to the guest rooms, from the corridor windows.

The other half guestrooms will face the Arsenal Mall and Main roads -The mall, once restored outdoor red brick shopping mall has offices, Home Depot, Target, and a couple of the typical retails and a large garage building, but everything was grim at the end of March 2018, The factory-like tall brick walls against the sidewalks with the remnant of the winter snow piles at the bus stops are quite isolating the pedestrians and abutting building residents. But, I know the area is safe.

This would be a good alternative location IF you are large family travelers and confident of how to get around the Boston/Charles River Routes, that offers free breakfast (7~9am?), and, free parking spaces (unsupervised, unchecked, almost full).

But, if you are a single or couple, although they run the free shuttle bus sporadically, it is not helpful, not running to the Logan airport or any central locations. If you are new to Boston, I would suggest East Cambridge Galleria mall, and South Bay Mall area as their access to Boston is short : the distance and the routes are straight forward, and, with public transport or a short taxi ride.

But, if you are a repeat visitors or passing through the area, You would enjoy the new rooms.

I just wish their service would be a good match to the new building.

Room Tip: There is no view, but, avoid the low level facing the parking lot, for a light sleeper
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
MarshaW617508, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Watertown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Dear One_Big_Hopping_Dot,

Receiving a warm welcome during check-in often times sets the tone for a great stay. I apologize that we fell short of meeting your expectations when you arrived at Residence Inn Boston Watertown.

In order to better uphold our commitment to deliver exceptional service to every guest, from arrival to departure, I have shared your feedback with the hotel team to better learn from your experience. Your feedback and comments is important to us.

Thank you for visiting us in Watertown, we hope to welcome you again whenever your travels bring you back to Watertown.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 11 March 2018

If you like modern you'll like this place. It's clean and new and efficient. Very nice kitchen area in the room; large bathroom with huge shower. The location on busy Arsenal Street isn't great but it works well if you have a car and want quick access by car into Cambridge and Boston. Parking is free and right next to the hotel. The desk staff was pleasant and helpful. I arrived after midnight, another refuge from the nor'easter that had left so many without power at home. I was grateful to have a warm place to sleep and shower so overall I give this place a high and appreciative review. However, I am very sensitive to my surroundings and I was not comfortable with the stark modern design. I felt like I was spending a night in the future. Plenty of plugs and USB ports available but no comfortable place to sit. If you are like me and prefer a more traditional décor then this probably isn't the right place for you.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
3  Thank TheMysticTraveler
MarshaW617508, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Watertown, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2018

Hello TheMysticTraveler!

Thank you for your kind words. We are happy that we were able to provide a warm place and most of all with electricity! We hope you are doing well with this most recent storm. We hope you consider us again for the future, or for any friends and family that visits you. We are always looking for ways to enhance our guests stay. Your feedback is valuable and matters to us. Thank you again for your positive review. Stay warm!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

This residence inn is beautiful. The rooms are so nice and clean. My family of 5 felt like the rooms were so spacious and open. The staff were all very friendly. Our stay came with a free breakfast, which was delicious. Overall, highly recommend this place

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank farrelma
MarshaW617508, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Watertown, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2018

Hello farrelma,

Thank you for your wonderful comment about your stay with us! We truly hope you come back and visit us again if you find yourself in the area. We will always have complimentary breakfast and a specious room waiting for you and your family. Spring is around the corner, we hope to see you again during warmer weather!

Best Regards,

Reviewed 4 March 2018

I stayed here one night for my daughter's nearby hockey games at BU and the Warrior Rink and had a great experience.

The hotel is less than 2 years old and I appreciated the design of the room, lobby and breakfast area. Everything about the stay was first class: well-lit parking with a short walk, great room, good breakfast and overall great value in a convenient location with nearby retail shopping.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank MasterOfNone
MarshaW617508, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Watertown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2018

Hello MasterofNone!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your daughter's hockey games, we hope the team did well and you enjoyed your time seeing the BU rink and the Bruin's awesome Warrior Ice Arena!

We hope you make our hotel your choice for the future whenever you return for another game, or a Bruins game at that!

If you didn't get a chance, we do also provide a shuttle to the Warrior Arena to save you a trip with the car or cab. It's also complimentary and run on a flexible schedule where wait times are usually at most 10-15 minutes.

Thank you again!