“Norman Rockwell Museum”

Norman Rockwell Museum
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Stockbridge
More attraction details
Owner description: Founded in 1969, this museum has the world's largest and most significant collection of Rockwell drawings and paintings.
Reviewed 25 September 2011

Excuse the stoopid title. I tried to think of something pithy and one sentence-y, but failed. To say I love Rockwell's work would be to flirt with understatement. To say I am equally fond of the museum these days would be a big, fat fib.

This was my husband and my second visit to the museum. We had come here before with our two kids about ten years ago and loved it. Even our children were enthralled. The museum then was absolutely PACKED with his paintings and the audioguides that provide information about each work were free. The charge now is $5. With adult admission at $16, I thought the fee was chintzy. My husband acquired one and shared it with me, which earned us both a hairy eyeball from one of the staff members...*awkward segue into an observation about the staff*....While most of them were as warm and homespun as one would hope someone working in a Rockwell museum would be, my sister-in-law and I were practically terrorized by a hypervigilant lady who chastised my sister-in-law for pointing at a detail in a corner of a painting ("Her fingertip was a foot away! She wasn't going to touch it, honest!") and me for stepping two inches off the carpet onto the floor so that a lady in a wheelchair could pass by comfortably. Having decided that we were both Art Terrorists, she followed us throughout the exhibitions on the first floor.

There was also an exhibition of Pixar animation taking place in a room adjacent to one housing paintings. I understand that Steven Spielberg has contributed money to the museum, but the blaring of "Ice Age" was a discordant element we didn't appreciate.

The good? Well, Rockwell's work speaks for itself. It would be hard NOT to be moved by some of his iconic illustrations. The opportunity to see his studio is not to be missed. Most of the employees were delightful--friendly and full of information. The bucolic setting is paradise. Even the gift shop had some good deals.

My recommendation: if you are in the Berkshires, you should pony up the $16 and go. Stay on the carpeted areas of the museum, keep your hands to yourself, and share an audioguide with the one you love.

9  Thank Lori12309
Write a ReviewReviews (2,095)
All reviews
"the saturday evening post"
in 121 reviews
in 44 reviews
"beautiful grounds"
in 57 reviews

Reviewed 14 September 2011

The Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge is probably the most interesting place to visit in the Berkshires. The museum and grounds is lovely. Should definite try to catch one of the gallery talks as the guide gives great background and insight into Rockwell's work. We loved looking at all his paintings and reading the stories about each one.

Reviewed 12 September 2011

Beautiful grounds, loved the dog days showing. Great store with lots of old kids toys that I remember.
Young ( under 8 ) kids probably will be bored and run right through it.

Reviewed 11 September 2011

Excellent museum and grounds that gives you a great taste of all of Normal Rockwell's works; if you are in Stockbridge, this is a must see! Loved the tour and explaination of his pieces of art; as well as the tour of his studio - you can feel him there. Very nice gift shop and lunch area. Geat way to spend the afternoon.