All reviewsmini golfshuffle boardactivity centerindoor poolfull kitchenthird floorpool towelstwo bedroom unitrec centermovie theateroutlet mallrecommend this resorttennis courtshot tubnice resortthe norman rockwell museumfree movies
Reviewed 17 August 2015

We are not RCI owners, but have stayed at RCI resorts that have been very nice. We won a 4-night stay in a blind auction at this particular resort.
It was an awful experience from check in to check out. Check in was 4:00, we arrived at 3:15 and were told to come back after 4 because our room was not ready, understandable. We returned at 3:55 and was again told, come back after 4:00 because the room is not ready. I told them I would wait the 5-minutes. The first person who told me to come back, then came out and said our room was ready... literally 30-seconds after I was just told the room was not ready.

We got to our room, clearly an older unit, and was greated by a fury of fruit flies and the smell of ciagarette smoke as if a smoker had been living there for years. I lit the candles I had just bought in town and opened the windows to try to get rid of the smell. No such luck.

That night I closed the windows and turned on the AC, of course, it was not working. The compressor had frozen on it and when I called I was told maintenance help had left for the night but they would send someone up in the morning. I proceeded to open the windows in the upstairs bedrooms. However, the spare bedroom window did not have a screen. It was an extremely hot evening.

In the morning, I went down to the front desk to ask to be moved to a different room. The manager, Cindy, called me later to discuss the issues with me. I was told there weren't any other rooms available, which was not true, several units were unoccupied the entire time we were there. I was also told they would bring up an ozone filter to try to rid the smell of cigarette smoke, no one ever came. Was also told they would bring a screen for the bedroom, again, no one ever came.

Other issues, the beds were extremely hard and uncomfortable. Even with the air conditioner on, the upstairs bedrooms are hot. Bathrooms were extremely dirty, floors were not mopped and probably not even swept. You can hear mice in the walls. The pool was gross. Hair balls throughout the pool.

Needless to say, it was not a pleasant time. We checked out a day early. We would not return to this resort, nor would we recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
7  Thank Kari R
Reviewed 16 August 2015

Let me start by saying that we are RCI members and we traded "down" to go to this resort, so we knew that it wouldn't be the same as our "home" resort. I think the resort itself merits three stars but the staff really buts forth the effort to warrant 3 1/2 stars, so I gave it 4. We came to this resort because of availability and geography for all the parties going on this vacation. (We needed three units.) We called several times beforehand to make sure that the units that we got were as near to each other as possible and that at least one was handicapped-accessible. (We were assured the information was in our file.) When we got there, this was not the case. There were 18 steps for each unit. When the manager arrived, he was able to relocate the party with the handicaps and they only had to negotiate three steps. The other unit and our unit were two buildings away from the handicapped vacationers (and two floor away from each other) so that was not a great start. The units were outdated in terms of furnishings and decor but clean (except when one wears socks or bare feet on the rug...). They were stocked with everything that we needed (toaster, four burner stove, coffee maker, dishwasher, three TVs, hair dryers, iron and ironing board, refrigerator, microwave, utensils, plates, glasses and coffee cups, cooking dishes, pots and pans, "starter" soap/toilet paper/dishwashing soap). The patio had a wooden table and four wooden chairs. There was a full size bed in our second room and a queen in the master. The master bathroom had a shower and Jacuzzi (although one of the jets was missing) and the second bedroom had a regular bath tub and shower. The storage space was adequate and A/C worked fine. The sofa in the living room was a foldout. From what I understand, the presidential suites have washer/dryers within the unit.. There are coin-operated washers and dryers on the premises, although we didn't use them. There is a Subway, a pizza place, arcade, mini coffee shop, small store (souvenirs and basic items), and theater (three or four free movies a day) in the main building. There is also a fitness room (which another family in our party told us has a lot of equipment but that there are several "out of order" signs which the staff admits have been like that for a very long time). Volleyball, shuffleboard, basketball, and miniature golf equipment are available free of charge. I know there is a tennis court on premises but I am not sure about whether you have to bring your own equipment or not. There are three pools. Two are indoors (at least one is heated) and have Jacuzzis and one is outdoors. There is a staff member there but they are not lifeguards, nor do they advertise that they are. They all close for lightning or thunder. Our kids loved the pools and they seemed clean but there seemed to be a lot of unsupervised kids there (against the rules). There is a small playground for the kids and a bar for the adults. There are one or two activities a day advertised, although we only did one and it was different than advertised. The arcade machines are maintained by an outside company, so when they break or need to be restocked with prizes, it will take a few days. Most of the machines give tickets (added to the card used) as prizes that can be used to purchase prizes--like Chuck E. Cheese. Although RCI members got a free DVD player per unit for the week and three free movie rentals per day, they could also be rented by others on a first come/first serve basis. There is an invitation to the time share talk and a call to your unit to remind you of it, but no hard sell tactics are used. There are plenty of things to do in the area, depending on how far you are willing to travel--Berkshire Museum, Springfield Museum (with Dr. Seuss sculptures), Boston, Albany, USS Massachusetts, USS Slater, Old Sturbridge Village, Norman Rockwell Museum, Mystic Aquarium and Seaport, Six Flags or Lake Compounce amusement parks, Zoom Flume, wineries, and lots of old mansions and historical homes. There is a large Big Y Supermarket about 5 minutes from the resort that has everything you will need and plenty of great restaurants. (We like Roses for breakfast and Patrick's Pub in Pittsfield for dinner, although McDonald's and Friendly's are also nearby). The staff is very accommodating. We had problems (already mentioned) at check-in and with the burners not working in our unit. Maintenance was at the unit within a few minutes to fix the burner problems and assure us that the Jacuzzi would still work, despite the missing jet (although we never tried it). If anything, I can say that this resort is far from luxurious (although keep in mind that it was originally built to be lodging for hunters and these elements definitely remain, especially in the decor) but still functional and acceptable. There isn't supposed to be smoking in the units but there is a smell to some units that suggests that this is done. The unit that the handicapped people stayed in was clearly one of the original units--did have a garbage disposal unit but also had popcorn ceilings and no Jacuzzi. It also didn't have a TV in the second bedroom and the second bathroom was in the hallway (instead of within the second bedroom). Little things in the units needed repair or attention--an obvious rip in one of the chairs, false drawers that had obviously fallen off and weren't put back right, a window screen that wasn't on right, shades that were broken or didn't open/shut properly, little items (beads, small toys) left under the sofa and beds by previous occupants, a fence that was in disrepair, spider webs on the rails and in the light fixtures outside. Although it is rumored that they will have resort-wide WiFi by 2016, there is currently only (free) WiFi in the main building, something that they do openly tell you about in their "pre-travel" welcome letter. Overall, while it is not the quality vacation that we experience in our "home' resort, it is a nice place. I just hope that they keep on top of/repair the maintenance and decor issues so that people will continue to come here because it does have a lot to offer.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
3  Thank jmclwolf
Reviewed 8 August 2015

The cleanliness and level of preparation of the unit, the speed of response to any request, the hospitality and friendliness of staff, the prompt follow-up to insure the facilitation of requests,the availability of the pool and the Subway restaurant--all these add up to a wonderful experience year after year.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Silverleaf Resorts
1  Thank buzzyw2015
Reviewed 7 August 2015

Arrivied Saturday July 25, 2015. Our first unit 346 was on the first floor. It was discusting. Housekeeping didn't bother to sweep the floor. About an hour of arriving, I hear water dripping. Go into the master bedroon and water is pouring out of the shower light fixtures and vents. Same thing in the secondary bedroom. Call front desk to get maintanence immediatly and was told it would take a few minutes. We proceed to pack up our belongings because there would be no way we would stay. Ten minutes later still no maintenance and now about an inch of water was in the bathrooms and soaking the bedroom carpets. I had taken video of the water pouring down and walked up to the front desk. I explained the situation and showed them the video and was given a new room on the third floor. I requested help to move and they were very accomodating. The third floor unit 365 was much cleaner, still dated and small. And, the staff was very nice about the situation. The security maintenance and front desk staff were very nice about the situation and that was the only reason to stay on site after that fiasco.

The property is very nice on the outside. Pool is a little tired looking and closes at 8pm but there are plenty of louge chairs. There are tennis, volley ball, and basket ball courts, mini golf and shuffleboard all free of charge. Grounds are kept up very well.

It is in an awesome location. Lee outlets, Mount Greylock, Crane Paper Factory, Norman Rockwell, and Shaker Village are very close and worth the drive. We also drove into NY and visited Howe Cavern and that was my kids best part.

A bar, Subway and pizza place are on the premise but there are so many places to eat within minutes of the property.

I would rate it above average if it weren't for the outdated and shoddy cleanliness of the units.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
4  Thank BuffaloMom22kids
Reviewed 6 August 2015

Having been timeshare owners for 30 years, we've stayed in all types of resorts. 14 years ago, when we first came here, we were not impressed, so we hadn't returned since. We had some extra points this year, so we decided to give it a shot and we were very glad we did! We stayed in Building 23, unit 356. Yes, shlepping our stuff up to the third without an elevator was an inconvenience; however, once it was done, it was done.The two bedroom unit was comfortably equipt with everything we needed. While not new, it was spotless. The grounds were beautiful and we often relaxed on our deck which overlooked one of the outdoor pools, tennis courts, and bar-b-q grilles, none of which were over-crowded or noisy.

The Monday morning member get-together was well attended and it was fun to learn about some of the other guests. The two women in charge, were warm and friendly. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same about the front desk staff who checked us in. Check-in is rather late at 5pm, so we went to the Lee Outlet Mall and walked around.

All in all, we will definitely return and I highly recommend visiting. There is so much to do in the area, e.g., Tanglewood, Shakespeare, Barrington Stage Company - too many wonderful places to visit to stay away or to pay high hotel prices! One complaint - smoking allowed on decks!!!

Room Tip: Buildings 22, 23, or 24. Ask for a lower floor if someone has mobility issues!
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family