“Always Worth the Wait!”

Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Highland Kitchen is a family-owned neighborhood restaurant and bar located "up the hill" in the heart of Somerville. HK has been delivering American comfort food, well-crafted cocktails, friendly service and a killer jukebox since 2007.
Reviewed 19 June 2017

I've been to Highland Kitchen several times in the past year since moving to the neighborhood. There's almost always a wait, even if you arrive on the early side. Anywhere from 20-45 minutes usually, depending on the day. I always have incredible cocktails and entrees here. A little pricey but you get what you pay for. Nice for a special occasion or date night. Brunch is always a hit here as well.

There are newer reviews for Highland Kitchen

Reviewed 14 June 2017

Highland Kitchen does not accept reservations so we decided to show up when they opened at 5 on a Sat night.We got a nice table right away.The steady stream of people who followed us is a tribute to this restaurants popularity.I would characterize Highland Kitchen as a neighborhood hangout with a loyal following.This place is also well known with seasoned diners in metro Boston.Parking was easy to find on the street.

We started with a round of their specialty cocktails.These were good.The beer list always seems to catch my attention at restaurants these days.This one is very good,with a nice variety which included the old time New England favorite Naragansett Lager.

We had the mussels appetizer with coconut curry.We used the bread on the table to get to the remaining broth.Very good.For dinner I had the jambalaya.This was a perfectly reasonable version of the southern staple.Others in our party had shrimp and grits,gumbo(too much rice for such a small cup),goat curry and pan roasted chicken with sweet potato hash.Everybody was happy with their mealsThis is kicked up "down home cooking" done very nicely.The staff was friendly,attentive and efficient.They gave the restaurant a well run atmosphere.

Reviewed 23 May 2017 via mobile

A full house on a monday night at 10pm says all you need to know. Great atmosphere was a key plus. Excellent appetisers like grilled octopus, bluefish cakes and gumbo were great. Main courses were a little so so, jambalaya with duck was only ok, buttermilk fried chicken was v good. Will come back again and eat earlier so that specials don't run out. Good drink selection too, enough without being overwhelming.

Reviewed 3 May 2017 via mobile

This is a very cozy neighborhood restaurant. It's on the smaller side but the crowded tables help to give it a friendly atmosphere. Our waitress was friendly and attentive and everyone enjoyed their meals. Several in our party ordered the jambalaya and it was excellent: Not too spicy and very flavorful. We had calamari as an appetizer. It was good but could benefit from an accompanying sauce with a little more panache. Burger and salads were also good.
I really liked this place. Very good vibe and moderately priced. I took friends from Arlington who had never been and they said they would definitely be back.

Reviewed 23 April 2017 via mobile

The waiter was very nice and interested in pleasing us. He gave us a couple of tastes of beers. He also gave us some very helpful advice on which beer to order. He did a that with a great attitude.
The cauliflower spring onion soup was a little thin or watery for my taste. It also needed some salt and pepper for taste.
The fish and chips had too doughy a batter. The Cod fish was fine so I just left the batter.
The coleslaw was very good. The french fries were a little too over done.
The goat dish was liked by my son in law. As was the veggie burger by my daughter. My grandson really enjoyed the pasta bolognese.
The beers turned out really good too. The place understandably was a bit noisy.
All in all it was a positive experience.