“Great spot - Young and Old”
Review of The Painted Burro

The Painted Burro
Ranked #11 of 345 Restaurants in Somerville
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Summer Street
Transit: Davis Square MBTA Redline. Follow Elm Street from the center south. After you cross Bowers Ave we will be on your left.
Description: The Painted Burro features an exciting seasonal menu that highlights the diverse cuisines of Latin America. From our wonderfully flavored moles to our selection of grilled meats and fish to our extensive list of over 100 craft tequilas the goal at The Painted Burro is to impart our local chef driven styles into modern interpretations of Latin American cuisine with a strong respect for tradition.
Reviewed 22 September 2017 via mobile

We were in a party of 6; me, wife, 2 daughters and their husbands ranging in age from 61 to 85 - so on the elder side and probably the oldest diners there around 5:30pm. We got seated quickly and drinks got quickly ordered. There is a large selection of menu items and the beverage list is equally extensive. The chips are some of the best I have ever had and so good that we got a second serving having devoured the first round. The guac was excellent and because of market conditions you pay a little extra for it. I had the Mexican Chopped Salad which I thoroughly enjoyed, but was not able to finish the ample portion. Others in the party expressed total satisfaction with their choices. The only negative we had was the noise level was high, but then again this place caters to the younger crowd, so I don't feel justified to knock off a star for that coming from an old fossil like me.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

Our waitress was so nice, funny, and accommodating. We were a larger group (8 of us) and the meal and service were so wonderful. Great food and great atmosphere! In the summer months, they open the front of the restaurant and it has a nice open-air feel to it.

Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

Headed to the painted Burro after dinner, had some great drinks, with some good music and chill vibes. A fun night was had by all.

Reviewed 1 August 2017

This was a very pleasant experience. Portions and service was excellent. We ordered the Dos Empanadas, shrimp with grits, tofu and shrimp tacos. Everything was excellent. The shrimp and grits especially had an unusual spice on the shrimp that I really enjoyed. Staff was very amenable to any change. e.g. asking for the roasted cauli as a side, rather than in a taco. Definitely deserves a second, third , fourth visit. I want to try everything on their menu.

Reviewed 19 July 2017

I came here on a Monday night and the service was very slow. It took us almost 25 minutes to get our drinks, and then when we did get them one of them was the wrong kind. The food was great, however the server did not tell us how hot the plates would be and one of my friends burned her arm.