“Great sandwiches”

Uncommon Cafe
Ranked #25 of 70 Restaurants in Sandwich
Price range: US$5 - US$9
Cuisines: American
Description: We are a Sandwich Shop! We do Sandwiches, and lots of them! We have 31 different sandwiches to choose from with lots of different ingredients that are ALL made to order and FRESH! We have also become known for our home-made items like our Uncommon fries which are hand cut, and our Italian Roast Beef, oven roasted Turkey and oven roasted chicken- all fresh and cooked here. Not Deli meats! We also do soups, salads & burgers. We have a fun kids menu as well. Stop by and see why we have won 6 best of awards from 2 different publications in 4 years!
Reviewed 10 April 2017 via mobile

The Reuben was excellent as was the 'college fund' the ga cut fries topped off our lunch. A perfect spot on the Cape

Reviewed 8 January 2017

Nice stop for a quick breakfast or lunch sandwich and soup. Friendly owner. Fairly priced. French Fry heaven.

Reviewed 19 October 2016

We were out traveling through Sandwich last Saturday afternoon looking for a place to eat. It seemed every place was packed & we decided to give this place a chance.
Only one gentleman was working, trying to take orders & cook at the same time. I don't mind waiting for food given the circumstances, but seeing what was going on made me wonder if he knew the proper methods of sanitation. He was telling customers to pour their own coffee ( which could be a liability issue if someone gets burned ) & there was a gallon of milk on the counter. It stayed there the entire time, even as we left.
The counter where he was making salads had different foods strewed about & the knife that he cut everyone's sandwiches was never wiped or cleaned in between orders. Serious cross contamination, I hope no one had an allergy. As for the food, my lady had a steak & cheese she said was edible. My panini had pesto, chicken (DRY), fresh mozzarella,tomato & Balsamic (where?). We will look for a different place next time in Sandwich.

adamogo, Owner at Uncommon Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2016

I appreciate the feedback and wish to address some of the things mentioned.

The first thing I should address is your question about my knowledge of "proper sanitation." I am serve safe manager certified, and I have been doing this for many years, so rest assured I am very familiar and execute the proper food handling, storage and preparation. I am also allergy awareness trained. I am also CPR and Choke hazard and TIPS trained. The knife, does not have to be washed and sanitized between every sandwich made. In fact, the only way to do that would be to keep a bucket of sanitation water on the food line that would sterilize the knife, but it would also put all of the food on the line in jeopardy of bleach contamination. Simply wiping it on a rag in between uses is unsanitary and not something that would be an acceptable sanitation method. It is true that my line had food on it. I was making sandwiches.

Also to address your question, it is up to the customer to make the order taker aware of any allergies they might have. When they do, the process of making their sandwich is completely different to avoid cross contamination. On the day that you were there, there were no allergies brought to my attention.

The day that you were in, Saturday 10/15, I was not suppose to be alone. Someone I had scheduled to be with me called out. As you point out, I was very busy taking orders and making sandwiches/ salads/ Soups, Burgers, appetizers, etc. I kept up for a while, but then started to let everyone know that it might be a while before their order would be complete because of the orders I had ahead of them. Everyone I spoke with was appreciative of that information. Most decided to wait, others decided to leave which I understand. Many customers made it a point to tell me how impressed they were with both the food and the service - despite the fact that I was doing it all by myself. During this very busy time, the milk indeed did get left out for about 30 min. I had bought the milk that very morning and it was refrigerated before pulling it out for a customer. The milk did not go bad, as it wouldn't in a 1/2 our time frame. However you are correct, I would have liked to put the milk away, but with all of the other stuff I was doing I lost track of the milk.

I remember you. I remember that you stood there and watched me as you waited for your food.

A couple things I wish you had mentioned and taken into consideration of your review since you did watch me was the fact that your wife's red onions and in house roasted red peppers were grilled in butter on the grill and her provolone cheese was melted on top of the shaved steak. The roll was lightly toasted. I'm happy she found it edible. Your Freshman sandwich was indeed made with our own in house oven baked then grilled chicken. There were 3 thick slices of Fresh Mozzarella Cheese, basil pesto, our own balsamic vinaigrette that we reduced which was on the bottom of your roll. On top of the balsamic reduction was your marinated tomatoes. Then that sandwich was grilled on our panini machine. The chicken, unlike most places is not deli chicken so I understand that there might be a texture difference for you. However, it is that very chicken that makes the Freshmen Sandwich our second most popular sandwich we serve.

Also to clarify the coffee comment. I notice you did not describe that we have airpots for the coffee...like many other fast casual restaurants. Coffee is brewed directly into airpots and indeed it is a self serve coffee station. This is different than coffee pots and customers helping themselves, as your review describes.

The title of your review is poor sanitation skills. I would argue what you described, the reasons for the "poor sanitation" assertion, is inaccurate and based on misunderstanding of what is required. Lots of kitchens are closed off to the general public, mine is open because I have nothing to hide and I run a clean operation. I want my customers to see the time, preparation, and care that goes into creating and executing the sandwiches I offer. I think the thing that confuses me the most about your review is if you indeed thought that I used improper sanitation, why did you not ask for your money back and cancel your order? You had plenty of time to. I would never eat anything from anywhere where I thought they used improper sanitation methods.

I wish you the best of luck in your future food endeavors.

Reviewed 2 October 2016 via mobile

Cute little place, few tables an chairs to sit, lots of sandwiches and paninis to choose from did not see any sea food on the menu. I got the Pilgrim it was very good. Staff very friendly.

Reviewed 22 September 2016

Friendly staff, excellent chowder, delicious Pilgrim Sandwich. We stumbled on this cafe by chance, but we are so glad we stopped here for lunch. Small and unassuming place, but very good food.