All reviews koi pond garden room yogurt pebble beach claw foot tub new england third floor electric fireplace wrap around porch long beach small kitchenette bay window helpful hosts coffee cake adirondack chairs b and b only stayed one night
Reviewed 23 June 2018

My wife and I have vactioned in Rockport for over 20 years, but this was the first time we stayed at The Seafarer Inn.

We stayed on the third floor in the Long Beach room and had wonderful views of the ocean, Gap Cove, and Straitsmouth Island. We could also see the tops of the Twin Lights on Thacher Island. Our room was tastefully decorated, and our bed was very comfortable.

We stayed here for 6 nights and looked forward each morning to the wonderful homemade breakfasts consisting of different hot and cold items. There was a different arrangement of fresh fruit every morning, delicious quiches, and either French toast or pancakes. It was all so good!!

Chris and Beth were very friendly, and Chris helped me get my 95 year old mother-in-law to her room on the first floor. He even helped me bring luggage up to our third floor room. We thoroughly enjoyed the large koi fish pond with the waterfall. We even found that Chris and Beth had displayed, in addition to many other local artwork, an original watercolor painting that was painted by my wife's uncle, Ferdinand R. Petrie. He has passed away, but had an art gallery in Rockport for 25 years, and won numerous awards at the Rockport Art Association.

We had a relaxing time and enjoyed getting to know Chris, Beth, and some of the other guests who were here, as well as the resident cat, Stormy. The Seafarer Inn is located on Marmion Way, which has some of the most beautiful ocean views in Rockport, very quiet, and yet within walking distance of downtown Rockport. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at The Seafarer Inn and would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Third floor rooms have the best view.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank thesmiths411
Seafarer-Inn, Owner at The Seafarer Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2018

Thank you for the wonderful review. It was our pleasure to host you and your family for the week. I still am so excited to have met the family of one of our favorite paintings. The painting was handed down to me by my cousin, a collector, and it fits in well with our own collection of more than 10 Rockport artists. We are proud that every one of our rooms displays at least one piece by a Rockport artist.

We also enjoyed your Mom's memories of running a gallery and being part of the art scene of 20 years ago.

Thank you also for the room tip. Each of our rooms has an ocean view with a longer view, of course, on the third floor.

We hope to see you and your family again soon!

Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

We stayed here on our last night of a three week tour around New England. Let's start with the breakfast - it was the best we'd had by a long way. Fresh special hot food and a range of other quality food - amazing.

The location - well, looking out over a sandy cove to the sea. There's a patio area to take in the view and a carp pool alongside the house too. We walked along two coastal paths into town for our meal. Again, amazing views of the coast.

Our room was comfortable and well appointed. The welcome we had was friendly and helpful. Oh, did I mention the availability of coffee, cookies and fruit all the time?

You could spend a lot longer here than our one night, a relaxing super place.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the great review! We are happy you enjoyed our Seafarer breakfast buffet and our ocean views.

We hope, next time you are in the area, that you can stay with us again!

Reviewed 16 June 2018 via mobile

Just left after our visit here. Read all the reviews good and poor before you book. We are very experienced B&B users. The good points are location and views. We have spent three weeks touring Maine & Massachusetts using B&Bs this was the most expensive and least impressive. Met by one of the innkeepers on arrival. His wife saw us for the first time the next morning we were not spoken to, not even a good morning from her. The next day she waved us goodbye from the porch.
I run a cafe, I know cheap food when I see it. It wouldn’t take much to improve breakfast, here’s a few suggestions, proper loaves of bread not ready sliced thin stuff. Locally made jams not tiny fruitless plastic pods, a few blueberries and strawberries in the fruit salad not just melon and tinned pineapple. The fruit was improved the next day. Cookies on the coffee table are shop bought not homemade. Tiny amount of butter ready cut and left out for everyone to share.
The decor is very very dated, not shabby (except lampshades by bed) its uncoordinated too and not in a clever interior designed way. Seemed clean but I could write my name in the dust on the side table. I totally agree with previous comments on pillows and bed linen. They weren’t cotton but not totally synthetic either. I suspect they are some sort of non iron mix. The pillows are indeed synthetic and cheap. If as much love and expense was spent on the interiors as it has been on the water feature in the garden I probably wouldn’t be writing this. I realise it takes time to decorate but close for a week in winter and get it done. If you have no clue on decor, paint the walls white get fresh white cotton bed linen and different bed cushions for each room. Take up the terrible rugs and leave the beautiful wood floors bare. Don’t leave the terrible pictures on the wall. You are surrounded by local artists so ask them to display their artwork which you could sell on their behalf and make commission on.
Very large fridge in room housing two bottles of water. We had to turn this off at night as couldn’t sleep with the noise. Internet is slow, it’s OK for emails but not for watching a film on your laptop.
No help was offered on the area and no questions asked about our plans or trip. Plenty of leaflets to help though. I suspect this is so you don’t bother them with questions.
I have a tip for the owners here, take a few days off and stay in one or two of the following to see what the standard is out there and what real hospitality is. As well as some fabulous home cooked/made breakfasts.
The Puffin Inn, Ogunquit
Shore Path Cottage, Bar Harbor
Pleasant Street Inn, Rangeley

I get the distinct impression that this is not a labour of love. They are not people persons. He was very quick to mention payment before we had even bought our suitcases inside.
In my work I’m also reviewed on Trip Advisor, I know how thrilling it is to have a great review and lovely comments. I don’t know what it’s like to have a poor one but I can imagine it hurts. The thing is that if you read all the reviews most of this has been said before and some time ago too. These reviews are not just to help visitors they should help innkeepers too.
Look, other people seem to love this place and my husband says I’m fussy. I’m scrupulously fair though and I feel this is an honest and useful review. I wish I’d read it myself before my husband BOOKED IT!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Seafarer-Inn, Owner at The Seafarer Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2018

We are happy to hear that you loved the location, loved the view, loved the koi pond and enjoyed most of the breakfast except the toast offerings. Our breakfast is a buffet - we don't like alarm clocks when we travel, so we allow our guests to come to breakfast on their own schedule. We always serve one savory and one sweet entree', plus a coffee cake, bacon and sausage, a variety of cereals and of juices and of course coffee and tea. Our signature is our Seafarer yogurt parfait bar - make your own parfait using fresh fruit (never canned) and your choice of toppings like coconut, walnuts, granola and more.

Our home is an antique Captain's House on the sea and our decorating style is 'Beach House Casual.' Furniture is a mixture of antiques, inherited pieces and great finds. We want our guests to feel like they are at the family summer home by the sea. And we do, very much, love our home.

I do want to correct a very important point. Every room in our home has at least one piece from our large collection of Rockport artists' work. The room you were in had two prints and one original painting - all by Rockport artists. I counted in my head and came up with 11 different Rockport artists whose work is displayed in our home. Your impression that we do not support the local art scene is more than incorrect, it is insulting.

"...my husband says I’m fussy." He likely knows you better than anyone.

Reviewed 7 June 2018

The Seafarer Inn is a gem. Hosts Beth and Chris were perfect hosts and they clearly love what they do. The inn was spotless, we felt very welcomed, the location is perfect with gorgeous views, quiet yet close enough to walk to town. The public path a short walk down Marmion Way is a lovely bonus. Breakfast is excellent, with plenty of choices, all cooked with care. The koi pond is magical. Cannot wait to return for a longer stay!!

Stayed: June 2018
1  Thank fiona262015
Seafarer-Inn, Owner at The Seafarer Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2018

Thank you so much for the good and detailed review! We are about a mile from downtown Rockport, so, close enough to walk, but not in the hustle of the village. We are happy you enjoyed our buffet breakfast. We do our best to be sure there is something for everyone. We also hope you can return! And happy anniversary!

Reviewed 6 June 2018 via mobile

I did combine a wedding and a lot of time to relax thanks to this Cozy Inn, is like been at grandma house fresh coffee,cake, beacon, eggs and much more, And a beautiful view from my window
I’ll go back

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo

We look forward to your return! Thank you for the great review. Our home is an antique home with ocean views from each room. We love an old house, so we are happy you felt at home here.