All reviews historic hotel ocean view no lift rocking chairs on the porch new england mussels back porch modern amenities get away longer stay overlooking the water plenty of parking third floor off season short drive downtown rockport bearskin neck
Reviewed 15 August 2016 via mobile

We had stayed here before and wanted to come back and enjoy the wonderful views. The updates in the lobby look great!! Dinner was ok, we just had sandwiches which were nothing special. The dinners coming out looked great. Views were still beautiful.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Krysten R, General Manager at The Emerson Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2016

Hello - Thank you for the review! I'm glad that you enjoyed the new updates that we have made to The Emerson. I'll let our Executive Chef know that you were not wowed by our sandwich offerings and we'll see if there is something we can do to make them more special. Thank you for that feedback. Hope to see you around again soon!

Reviewed 9 August 2016 via mobile

outstanding service, extremely clean inn! Beautiful pool ! Walking distance to halibut state park . Highly recommend ocean facing rooms, worth the sunset and sun rise . five star breakfast included with stay! Emerson Inn the gem of Rockport!!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank billb016
Krysten R, General Manager at The Emerson Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2016

Hi Bill - thank you for the great review! I'm so happy that our staff and our grounds could make your stay a memorable one. See you again soon!

Reviewed 7 August 2016

We had an overnight stay in a clean and comfortable king room with a breathtaking ocean view. The inn is a great combination of antique charm combined with modern amenities. Lovely grounds with a cliff walk, an inviting pool and a short distance to town. Breakfast on the patio was delightful. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Krysten R, General Manager at The Emerson Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2016

Hi Wendy - thank you so much for the review! We're happy to hear that you had a good time staying at Emerson Inn. We hope to see you here again soon!

Reviewed 25 July 2016

We have been to the Emerson Pub as it is now called several times this summer. The first 2 meals were outstanding- Seared scallops and my husband had Duck. Both were excellent. More recently I had a salmon entre that was heavenly- grilled to perfection and leaning on sweet potato hash, which was more delicious than it sounded. The sweet potato was grated, light and flavorful. The plate was sprinkled with an abundant amount of kale chips, which were light and perfectly cooked. Wonderful presentation. My husband ordered a pork dish which he loved so much that I think he only gave me a tiny taste, but it was tender and very delicious. Last weekend we went over there for a light fare and it is painful to say, were disappointed. My husband had a hamburger and he said it was good but the french fries were soggy and over cooked. I ordered a falafel panini, a special that night, which I probably should not have ordered. It was probably an ok meal but to me it was greasy and there was a scraping of falafel between the bread. It did not work for me but others might have loved it. There was an apple slaw that was served with it but it had too much vinegar in it. This dish was also served with soggy french fries. We had chocolate mousse for dessert which was served with chopped pretzels which was not effective. The service that night, while not bad, was not that great. The server was sweet and we did not have to wait long but dirty dishes were not cleared off the table as new food appeared. Having said all this, we love this place! The food generally is wonderful, with unique and changing offerings, the service is very good, the prices are fair and what a way to spend a lovely evening enjoying the ocean breezes and the view on the veranda! The new owners have worked really hard to improve the general condition of the Inn which was in need of repair and sprucing up when they bought it, and it looks great! More needs to be done but considering the amount of people that filled the seats that night, they are obviously making a big hit both with locals, people from longer distances such as Boston, and tourists.It is a very pleasant, comfortable place to relax and enjoy a great meal.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Krysten R, General Manager at The Emerson Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2016

Hi there - thank you for taking the time to review us and thank you for being a Pigeon Cove Tavern regular! I'm delighted to hear that you, for the most part, have enjoyed our menu options and dining experiences. The new options that you tried out the last time you came to visit are menu items that we're hoping to put on our menu this week so I'm glad that you took the time to give us this feedback so that we can make appropriate changes before the new menu launches. I encourage you to come back again soon and try out the new menu as we should have all of these issues worked out by then. I will also give your feedback about your service experience to our Food and Beverage Manager who is diligently working on training our staff on proper steps of service, which include taking away dirty dishes and marking each course. We hope to see you back again soon!

Reviewed 24 July 2016

We hadn't planned to visit Cape Ann and did not have reservations. We booked the Emerson last minute, sight unseen on line. It is tucked away in Rockport, down small country roads. We followed our GPS and when we made the final turn onto a gravel lane we were surprised to come upon this large grey Victorian inn. Music was playing and dozens of guests and locals were enjoying their evening meal on a long porch facing the ocean. We were transported back in time to another era!

In fact, our room was in the old part of the inn which dates from 1848. The bed was super comfortable but the bathroom was pretty tight by modern standards and in terms of where to put our stuff. For a one night stay, it served us fine and we were pleased to have this experience in time travel.

Room Tip: No elevators
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple

Hi - thank you for reviewing us and thank you for the great remarks! I'm glad that you had a great time staying with us and that you enjoyed The Emerson so much. You are correct that some of the bathrooms in the older section of our property are on the smaller side, which is pretty typical of a historical property. We are hoping to do some more renovations this winter on that side of the building and I would love to take a look at those bathrooms and see what we can do to make them more spatially appropriate. Thank you again and we hope to see you back soon!