“Such a Magical experience seeing whales surface so close, but seeing others bad experiences was enough to ruin it.”

Dolphin Fleet Whale Watch
Ranked #1 of 25 Tours in Provincetown
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Whale watching originators of east coast whale watching since 1975. trips depart daily from Provincetown harbor. 3-4 hours in duration. booking available on-line, private chartering available. trip times vary, up to 10 trips daily during July and August Season April- October
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 138 helpful votes
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Let me just start off by saying , that the Dolphin Fleet whale watch was incredible. I have never done any whale/dolphin sightseeing cruises before, but was in complete awe at the astonding size and beauty of the whales. The boat was simple. We sat up on the bow in order to get set up for pictures. There are refreshments on board for those who are interested. The staff were friendly and knowledgeable. One of the snack bar employees was nice enough to loan me some suntan lotion. (bring lotion no matter what moth it is. You will get burnt) . It was chilly in October. I wore a tank,sweater, and Landsend jacket suited for 40 below. A hat or hood would've been heplful but otherwise I was fairly warm. The captain was nice enough to educate us and also turn the boat several times to make sure we had a decent vantage point for seeing the whales. We saw quite a few. The most tortorous part was the ride out there . It is alot of sea, and for those not accostomed to ships, alot of vomiting. For me, the worst part was OTHER people getting sick. Now not only do they warn you about seasickness, but they also sell dramine on board (although you shoould take it an hr before travel). I was perfectly fine , but am the type of person who may start to feel uneasy if other are getting sick all around me. Halfway through, I started thinking, (what if I get seasick?) and over thinking it. Also, when they were pointing out whales, it was to my absolute discust to see not only a grown man vomiting over the side, but a child vomiting from the top deck onto the people below him. I find it completely irresponsible for people to not have taken precaution ahead of time as to take dramine. It did not ruin my magical experience of seeing whales up close, but sadly it is ingrained in my mind with the happy moments I experienced.

Visited October 2011
3 Thank Stephanie F

Columbus, OH
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great Day”
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Crew is very knowledgeable, we had on board scientist. Wished the ride was a little shorter but they have to go where the whales are!

Visited September 2011
Cape Cod
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Pick Barnstable Over Provincetown”
Reviewed 12 January 2012

We've gone on whale watches in Cape Cod bay for years - always from West Barnstable. This year, we tried the Dolphin Fleet. Let me compare:

Barnstable: larger boat, bigger interior, more stable
P'town: small boat, choppy experience
Barnstable: wonderful whale watching
P'town: barely there whale watching

The weather was not perfect, but it was not a major storm, or even close ... the boat rocked so badly anyone outside was soaked, and several people inside were sick on the floor! Took a fair amount of time to get out to the whaling area, and we only saw a couple of whales... not under Dolphin Fleet's control, of course, but this was the first time we saw fewer than a dozen humpbacks, not to mention porpoises and pilot whales!

Visited July 2011
3 Thank LisaJCapeCod
Bridgeport, Connecticut
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Believe it”
Reviewed 6 January 2012

I know, it looks like a tourist trap, some kind of scam. But I've done this ride at least three times and for some reason the whales really do ham it up for the boats. It's like they're paid by the city or something. It's unforgettable, and nice to get on a boat anyway, and see the town from the water.

Visited August 2011
1 Thank Steeroyo
Provincetown
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Enjoyed out whale watch on the Dolphin Fleet”
Reviewed 6 January 2012

What a spectacular whale watch - we had so many sightings of the these magnificent creatures - everyone enjoyed their date out in Stellwagon watching the whale off the coast of Provicnetown.

Visited April 2011