“Perfect setting for a delightful wedding”

Captain Linnell House
Ranked #1 of 61 Restaurants in Orleans
Price range: US$23 - US$32
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Celebrating our 30th anniversary, the historic 1840 Captain Linnell House is home to Cape Cod's most distinguished fine dining restaurant as well as an award winning Cape Cod wedding, rehearsal dinner, and corporate venue site. We are located in Orleans, MA around the corner from Skaket Beach, a picturesque setting for a Cape Cod beach wedding ceremony. The Captain Linnell House is chef owned and offers expertly prepared classic fare - from iced Wellfleet oysters, escargot and baby kale salad, to entrees of rack of lamb, Black Angus prime rib, roast duckling with fresh raspberries, scrod n' parchment, and much more. We go as local and organic as possible. A three course $35.00 Prix Fixe Menu is offered from Mid-September thru June. Enjoy dining in one of our unique dining rooms. Our garden room looks out over a spacious lawn with the sunset in the distance. Fireplaces grace the other two. We are off the beaten path but finding us is memorable!
Reviewed 14 October 2018

An afternoon wedding for over 100 guests, it was held in a quiet, garden spot, relaxed in atmosphere yet with formal overtones. The reception following was in the great room of this 1850's, perfectly restored, sea captain's home. The waite-staff was attentive and professional. The dinner was excellent. Our table of 8 was located adjacent to an elegant, flickering fireplace. We enjoyed good talk in this relaxed setting. Afterwards, while toasting the newly married couple, we had plenty of time to dance and gorge ourselves on the beautiful wedding cake and a variety of desert morsels. My wife and I commented on the fact that, in our 56 years of marriage, this wedding was as perfect as we had ever had the pleasure of attending. Great food, a beautiful setting and all done with warmth in a friendly and professional manner.

Reviewed 4 October 2018

I expected better and would not return but my wife would go in a minute. We both chose the Fixe price menu, which had extra charges for most of the appetizers listed. My wife's chowder was excellent (only $3 extra). My salad was good. My 2 inch thick prime rib was supposed to be medium but was rare to raw in the middle. Too much to eat anyway...I would have preferred an inch. We both chose the carrot cake for dessert...but they were out of it (we were the first customers to arrive at 5PM). They were out of another selection so we both chose the ice cream sunday. We both thought the whipped cream was lousy and the ice cream not very good. You don't always get what you pay for!

1  Thank w1wef3
Reviewed 29 September 2018

This is an elegant setting, the food is terrific, and there is plenty of it! I had the salad and bouillabaisse, my wife had the duck, and a friend had the prime rib. All of them were excellent and ample. Service was friendly. Cocktails and desserts were also splendid.

Reviewed 19 September 2018

The venue is classic....for weddings and similar occasions. Our group went for dinner. Although the food was good, the service was only average and the atmosphere was quite stiff even though we are all in our 70's.

2  Thank FredH1336
Reviewed 18 September 2018

The reviews are all good, but I was concerned when we arrived. It is somewhat dated, the servers are all running around with too many tables, and they hold a lot of weddings at the venue. I had a bad feeling that we would be eating wedding food... but that was not the case. While I didn't think there was anything remarkable about the clam chowder, my scrod in parchment was absolutely delicious. My husbands duck was also quite good. While the sides served with everything were the same, they were also good. I would recommend the Linnell House, as long as you are ok with a dated décor.

1  Thank Shelley S
Shelly H, Owner at Captain Linnell House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2018

Thank you for your review. When Chef Bill and I bought CLH 30 years ago it was in desperate condition. We have spent years restoring this iconic building which dates back to 1840. We do not pretend to be anything other than classic old school. We strive to have service, site, and food match. We are proud to offer one of the last "white cloth" fine dining restaurants on Cape Cod with consistently fine food.