“Best $88 dinner in a long time! (with no drinks)”

Captain Linnell House
Ranked #1 of 61 Restaurants in Orleans
Price range: US$23 - US$32
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Celebrating our 30th anniversary, the historic 1840 Captain Linnell House is home to Cape Cod's most distinguished fine dining restaurant as well as an award winning Cape Cod wedding, rehearsal dinner, and corporate venue site. We are located in Orleans, MA around the corner from Skaket Beach, a picturesque setting for a Cape Cod beach wedding ceremony. The Captain Linnell House is chef owned and offers expertly prepared classic fare - from iced Wellfleet oysters, escargot and baby kale salad, to entrees of rack of lamb, Black Angus prime rib, roast duckling with fresh raspberries, scrod n' parchment, and much more. We go as local and organic as possible. A three course $35.00 Prix Fixe Menu is offered from Mid-September thru June. Enjoy dining in one of our unique dining rooms. Our garden room looks out over a spacious lawn with the sunset in the distance. Fireplaces grace the other two. We are off the beaten path but finding us is memorable!
Reviewed 4 October 2018

I expected better and would not return but my wife would go in a minute. We both chose the Fixe price menu, which had extra charges for most of the appetizers listed. My wife's chowder was excellent (only $3 extra). My salad was good. My 2 inch thick prime rib was supposed to be medium but was rare to raw in the middle. Too much to eat anyway...I would have preferred an inch. We both chose the carrot cake for dessert...but they were out of it (we were the first customers to arrive at 5PM). They were out of another selection so we both chose the ice cream sunday. We both thought the whipped cream was lousy and the ice cream not very good. You don't always get what you pay for!

1  Thank w1wef3

Reviewed 29 September 2018

This is an elegant setting, the food is terrific, and there is plenty of it! I had the salad and bouillabaisse, my wife had the duck, and a friend had the prime rib. All of them were excellent and ample. Service was friendly. Cocktails and desserts were also splendid.

Reviewed 19 September 2018

The venue is classic....for weddings and similar occasions. Our group went for dinner. Although the food was good, the service was only average and the atmosphere was quite stiff even though we are all in our 70's.

2  Thank FredH1336
Reviewed 18 September 2018

The reviews are all good, but I was concerned when we arrived. It is somewhat dated, the servers are all running around with too many tables, and they hold a lot of weddings at the venue. I had a bad feeling that we would be eating wedding food... but that was not the case. While I didn't think there was anything remarkable about the clam chowder, my scrod in parchment was absolutely delicious. My husbands duck was also quite good. While the sides served with everything were the same, they were also good. I would recommend the Linnell House, as long as you are ok with a dated décor.

1  Thank Shelley S
Shelly H, Owner at Captain Linnell House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2018

Thank you for your review. When Chef Bill and I bought CLH 30 years ago it was in desperate condition. We have spent years restoring this iconic building which dates back to 1840. We do not pretend to be anything other than classic old school. We strive to have service, site, and food match. We are proud to offer one of the last "white cloth" fine dining restaurants on Cape Cod with consistently fine food.

Reviewed 15 September 2018

We have dined on the Cape for close to 50 years, and this restaurant is one of our all time favorites. Elegant dining room with a lovely garden view including a bubbling fountain with small pond and lush greenery. We both love seafood so we choose the Bouillabaisse for our entries. The portion size was more than generous including white fish, little neck clams, mussels, shrimp and scallops in a tomato based sauce, Exquisite! The wine list is extensive and not overly pricey. We shared the "Skaket Mess" for dessert, a delightful blend of fruit and cream. The wait staff was attentive even though the restaurant was very busy the evening we dined. We highly recommend this special restaurant and look forward to returning.

2  Thank pbmc53