“Great stay at the Narragansett House”
Review of Narragansett House

Narragansett House
Ranked #6 of 15 Oak Bluffs B&B and Inns
Worcester
“Great stay at the Narragansett House”
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Went with my boyfriend for July 4th weekend. We had stayed here a couple of years ago, so we knew what to expect: very close to Circuit Ave but with none of the noise. Walking distance to everything in Oak Bluffs. Small room with private bathroom. 3 windows in room and AC. No closet. Stall shower with no hot water. Should have said something on the first day, but I didn't. Despite the cold water though, I love the Narragansett House. It is fairly cheap, $160 for a room on the second floor with a double bed and private bath. Small TV, but we didn't turn it on at all, so I don't know if it had cable. They have a lovely front porch with rocking chairs--great place to lounge with a drink and a book. I brought breakfast outside all three mornings: serve yourself coffee and muffins. Not great by any means, but free. The Narragansett House has a couple of beach chairs that they lend you for the day. This really helps so that you don't have to bring your own chairs to the Island or buy them on island.
The Narragansett House is laid back, comfortable and has no frills. Do not go expecting elegance. Do go for a great location, a comfortable stay, and a great price.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Boston
Reviewed 7 July 2011

We stayed here last minute since we thought we were just going to the Vineyard for the day but wanted to stay overnight and were extremely happy with this place. It was the only one with availability and we ended up being pleasantly surprised! The location is great! Within walking distance to the shops, restaurants and beach. The room was adorable! It was very antique but you could tell everything was restored beautifully. We even had a little porch. The bathroom was very nice. Everything was very clean. I already made a reservation for this year to stay again.

Room Tip: Book online
  • Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Northern NJ
Reviewed 4 November 2010

While the location is ideal, the owner Jane is unpleasant, the rooms are small and the breakfast part of the B & B consists of juice and muffins.

It should be noted that as we were checking out, but not leaving the island as yet, the owner said we could leave our luggage in the kitchenette area. In the interim, we lunched nearby on Circuit Avenue and walked to the beach. Upon our return for the luggage, the owner refused to allow me to use a bathroom. It wasn't until I told her that I was expecting and that I needed to use a bathroom ASAP that she got up from her seat, sighed loudly, grabbed some keys, slammed a door and led me to a vacant guest room. You would have thought I was someone off the street as opposed to a paying patron that had just spent a few days in this B & B. For that reason, I will never stay at Narragansett House ever again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NewJerseyAM
London
Reviewed 2 October 2010

Having arrived well into the evening, it was nice to be properly welcomed and shown to our room.
This was our first experience of a New England B & B and I have no criticism. The accommodation was exactly as we expected it: Spacious, comfortable and very very peaceful. (we were just off the main street but it was still so peaceful)
Breakfast was exactly as described - Coffee, Juice, Great Muffins and Excellent Cake.
I can't comment on other establshments, but I can only compliment this establishment and owner. You can't go wrong if you stay here.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Seymour, CT
Reviewed 8 July 2010

This was our first trip to Martha's Vineyard. The receptionist was very helpful when we got there. I was dissapointed that there was a sign at the front desk saying we shouldn't expect any service after 8pm. The breakfast was awful, not sure you can call yourself a B&B if you don't servce a proper breakfast. I never met the owners that I am aware of but we were warned about the cranky inn keepers. The house was clean, the room had A/C it was tiny but we didn't spend a ton of time there. The curtains were terrible and didn't block any of the morning sun. We did enjoy how close it was to downtown. We might stay there again if we don't find anything else appealing.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3.9 km away
The 1720 House
The 1720 House
#4 of 11 in Vineyard Haven

Been to Narragansett House? Share your experiences!