Mac & Walts
Ranked #5 of 40 Restaurants in Norton
Reviewed 23 April 2017

I dropped in on a late Staruday Afternoon to check on Mac & Walts in Norton. I like to check out new places and had heard good things about this place.

First impression was good. Inviting, clean, bright atmosphere. Place is on smaller side with 10 booths and about 20 seats at bar with 2 large TV's,

Positives: Small simple menu, featuring burgers, chicken and waffles and shrimp and
grits.
Small but good whiskey and local craft beer selection
Quick ticket time about 8 minutes for burger and fries
Food was good-Beer was cold.
Inviting Space

Negatives: Inexperienced staff, spend alot of time talking to each other behind the bar
Burger are cooked to 1 temp not to order (For a place with Bugers, Beer
and Bourbon as their slogan) not to be able to cook to temp is
dissapointing
Fries do not come with burger need to be ordered seperately
Despite some minor negatives, which can easily be corrected still a pleasant experience and a place I could vist frequently. It's a small place so I imagine it will get pretty busy on weekend nights. I was leaving around 5:15pm on a Saturday and there was a smaill line waiting to be seated

1  Thank BostonScooter

Reviewed 22 April 2017

Stopped by this place for the first time and glad I did! The atmosphere is warm and cozy. The food was great comfort food! The fries reminded me of the fries I ate as a kid, the best! I will be bringing more friends by for sure. Jen our waitress was friendly, bubbly and helpful. Good job all around. Looking forward to going back soon!

Reviewed 17 April 2017

We went to Mac & Walt's tonight. Figured it's Monday, Patriots Day should be able to get a bar set no problem. Our hunch was right. First off, I really, really wanted to love this place. We are townies, not too many places around, we'd heard some good things (and some not so good things) and Norton needs a hot spot if you will.

To be blunt I was not impressed. We sat at the bar and our bartender had clearly graduated from bartending school this morning. Note to owners: why would you leave the bar of your new establishment in the hands of an amateur (more notes to owners coming). We just ordered beer and it was delivered promptly after he gave us the correct draft menu because the first he gave us was wrong. That was clearly not the case for other patrons; 2 left because he was so slow in greeting them for for a drink order. Note 2 to owners; if you're going to have a revolving draft beer selection, ALWAYS leave a beer menu within the reach of the customer. I can't memorize the beer menu ad having to ask the slow bartender (BT) for a menu is annoying as hell!

We got our beers ordered our food and all is good in the world. My wife and I decided to order and split a burger and a cobb salad. The food was delivered impressivley fast. Before our food arrived the BT gave us to plates because we were going to split our food. the only problem here is the plates where barely big enough to fit half a burger never mind the salad. Ok, annoying but no big deal, we'll eat our half burgers then our salad. The burger tasted very good BUT it was loose granular ground beef, supposedly 1/3 of a pound between 2 very plain buns. I am highly doubtful that it was a full 1/3 of a pound. Yeah, no solid patty here, the burger is loose chunks of ground beef. Taste was good but the loose chunks very disappointing. I would not order another burger here..EVER! Also, no fries...WTF? I like fries. Would have been great if the bartender had said "hey burger don't come with fries, you want fries with that". Again not a big deal but the annoyance continues cause now if I want fries I have to wait and my burger will get cold. Note to owner: burger = burger and fries (regular or sweet potato) or burger and cole slaw. who the hell want to eat just a plain burger. If you're not going to give me fries, I want it in big bold letters FRIES SOLD SEPERATELY. The bacon cheeseburger is $10, fries $2. Do yourself a favor if you want a burger and just to to cinque guys. The cobb salad was fine. As we're eating, my wife says :you know you're going to go home hungry"; in other words I don't think anyone will ever take a doggy bag home from this place. And just to cap off the evening, we order a caesar sale with chick to go with dressing on the side. We repeated the dressing on the side because we were pretty sure my daughter was looking forward to a soggy salad. On the way home we checked and clearly "dressing on the side" doesn't translate in bartender language.

In addition to the 2 patrons that had already left w/o service, the couple next to us cancels their order. They were finishing a taco appetizer which was evidently wrong and a substantially smaller portion than they were expecting.

All that being said, I believe in second chances and would give this place one more chance. Not any time soon, they need time to work their kinks out) and definitely will not bordering the burger again. The taste of the food was good, service horrible, the bar just ok (great if you're into bourbon but what about the other 85% of the spirit drinking world). In all this, I blame the owner! you can't leave your new establishment in the hands of a couple of rookies.

Reviewed 11 April 2017

Mac and Walts has an extensive lineup of bourbon and interesting and different beer selections. my wife and i have visited several times for snacks and drinks, the service is good, food (bar snacks) are good. our waitress informed of a recent slow cooked smoked spare rib sandwich, it was really good. I like the fact that sandwiches come served ala carte, without the plate being smothered in fries.

Reviewed 10 April 2017 via mobile

Great small eating establishment in Norton. If you are looking for quality casual dining this is the place to visit. Enjoy!

Been to Mac & Walts? Share your experiences!