All reviews charles river the concierge lounge view of the river a marriott rewards member indoor pool business trip mass pike stayed here for one night riverside station fitness center convenient location off the highway green line lobby starbucks parking boston
Reviewed 25 August 2015

This hotel is MOIST. For real, it's dated, it's humid, the sheets and carpet have a moistness to them. I've stayed her many times over the past 6 years, but this is the first time I'm considering leaving. I'm here now, and I'm disgusted.

The staff is very nice, there's no issue there, but apparently they shut down the air system to save energy. The floors in the lobby are slippery and between the carpet and the sheets... it's a challenge to stay there.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled on business
2  Thank ATL_Corp_Trvlr
MarkJ007, General Manager at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2015

Dear Valued Guest. We appreciate your feedback and know that the hotel was uncomfortably warm during your stay. We were experiencing some challenges with our cooling tower and chillers during this time which have been resolved. It certainly wasn't an energy conservation practice. I am glad that our staff service positively impacted your impression and I hope that you will try us again. I can guarantee it will feel cooler.

Reviewed 25 August 2015

Stayed one night in late August 2015. This is an older Marriott property that has been refurbished to modern Marriott standards. The hotel is in a very lovely location, tucked-among the trees and encircling a lake. The room was very clean and the bedding was very comfortable. I found the people to very accomodating and the breakfast buffet was excellent.

However, the air conditioning in this property is broken and in major need of overhaul. Although our room AC was blowing cool air, it was not dehumidifying the air. The room never got below 70 degrees and all the sheets and my clothes felt wet. I had two rooms and both were the same. The hallway leading to my rooms was about 90 degrees. I called the front desk who sent up a maintenance guy that proclaimed the "fixed" by a reset of the chiller. He said it would improve by 11:20 at night...but there was no improvement by morning. I've rated the sleep quality poor because we were constantly waking up all night due to the humidity.

I believe this hotel has had a history of air conditioning infrastructure issues since there were multiple,large,metal-blade fans all over the hotel (in the room hallways, two in the bar, two in the restaurant...etc). Rather than investing in fans, this location should spend the dollars required to make the air conditioning function like all other Marriott hotels as customers expect.

This property is located very close to Brandeis University and would be a great location to stay for family / school visits. However, unless it's wintertime, I do not recommend staying at this property until the severe air conditioning problem has been corrected and the hotel places the fans in storage. If you walk into the hotel and see large fans sitting in the bar...you have been warned!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views. AC does not work properly, so avoid visits when weather is warm.
3  Thank BizTravelerNC

Dear valued guest. Thank you for your feedback during your most recent stay. We did unfortunately experience high humidity during your stay as a result of our cooling tower and chillers malfuntioning at that time. We have resolved these issues since, as it is always our goal to have a comfortable environment for our guests. My hope is that you try us again as I know you will feel the difference.

Reviewed 20 August 2015

My family of 4 stayed here for a few days so we could see Boston. Although it is not right in the city, it is close to the T and they have a shuttle they will take you there and back. The staff was very welcoming and made us feel we were important to them. The breakfast that is included is quite good , fresh omelettes made to your order, fresh quality fruit, a selection of breads, muffins, cereals, hot oatmeal with toppings ... definitely not your cold continental style breakfast ... a great way to start the day in nice atmosphere with a nice view of the river and greenery. The room was clean and comfortable. We were also able to make arrangements with the Marriott in the city to store our luggage till we flew out of Boston Logan that same day. The hotels were very accommodating to us making our vacation that much more pleasant and convenient. I would definitely recommend it. The only potential down side is the pool is indoors (no outdoor), no spa, and if you want to be in the city it is a ways out (although close to T as mentioned earlier). Overall it's a great place at a great price with great staff.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family

Thank you for your review of your most recent stay at the Newton Marriott. Hearing you say "Great Place,Price and Staff", tells me that we accomplished what we strive to do for all guests who choose to stay with us. Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 19 August 2015

Had to visit offices in downtown Boston and Dedham so this was a convenient location between the two. Location was nice with a good view of the Charles River depending on your room location. Staff was attentive and friendly. The feel of the hotel was OK, it looked old in places and in need of updating. The rooms were comfortable but if you had two beds were cramped. Onsite Restaurant did a nice job with Breakfast - Small Starbucks onsite also. WiFi free if you are a Marriott Member and it was speedy. Onsite parking with a cost of $11 per day but cheaper than most places I've stayed in the area.

Room Tip: Get a good view of Charles River
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank jwcorbett

Thank You for posting a review of your most recent stay ta the Newton Marriott. I am glad that our location was a great fit for your business needs and the staff positively impacted your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 18 August 2015

We stayed for 3 nights at the beginning of our vacation and then came back for 1 more the night before we flew out. Unfortunately this property doesn't seem to be all that well managed and the physical building is also in need of attention. We stayed on the 5th floor, facing the Charles River. The windows were filthy from bird poop so we couldn't enjoy the view. The walls are paper thin and the house keeping staff will start knocking on your door beginning at 8:30am. I didn't receive a single greeting from hotel staff. When I went to get coffee at the "starbucks" kiosk, I interuppted 3 hotel staff having a water cooler discussion. They finished their conversation before they took my order. Same thing happened with the bell men. They only offered to help after they were done talking with their buddies. They do charge for parking ($11/day) and for Wi-fi which is ridiculous!

Room Tip: If you want clean windows, select a room facing the parking lot.
2  Thank tropigl
HotelMgr12, Manager at Boston Marriott Newton, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2015

Dear Tropigl,

We appreciate you staying with us and sharing your experience. On behalf of my entire team, I apologize for falling short of your expectations. I assure you this was never our goal and we look forward to using your feedback as a training tool for future guest interactions. Thank you again and safe travels!